Windows 10: Storage Spaces: 1 of 4 HDs failed, can’t access/repair pool

Discus and support Storage Spaces: 1 of 4 HDs failed, can’t access/repair pool in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Storage Spaces pool with four 4Tb external USB drives, set up with two-way mirroring. One of the drives started making a loud buzzing noise... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BobsYourUncle, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Storage Spaces: 1 of 4 HDs failed, can’t access/repair pool

I have a Storage Spaces pool with four 4Tb external USB drives, set up with two-way mirroring. One of the drives started making a loud buzzing noise and interfering with other USB devices. I shut down the system and disconnected the drive (the system will not function correctly and the storage space drive is inaccessible with the bad drive connected). When I restarted, the storage space was inaccessible. Running the Storage Spaces Manager, the only option available is to delete the pool (clicking the “Change settings” button does nothing):

Storage Spaces: 1 of 4 HDs failed, can’t access/repair pool [​IMG]

I initially assumed that I couldn’t repair the pool because there wasn’t enough free space on the remaining three drives, so I added a new 8Tb external USB drive. Storage Space manager can see the new drive and will let me create a new pool using it, but won’t allow me to add it to the existing pool. As already mentioned, the only option that I have is to delete the existing pool.

The computer is running Windows 10 Home, version 1803, build 17134.1069. It looks like the last update was 2019-10 Cummulative Update … KB4520008 on 10/9/2018. Version 1903 feature update failed to install 8/29/2019 – 0x80240034.

I do not believe that the drive failure was related to update activity. CrystalDiskInfo 7.5.0 was showing the drive as good, with no warnings, prior to the failure.

Assorted drive information: Code:
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

:)

BobsYourUncle, Oct 18, 2019

2. Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool

still nothing.

samsonbiatch, Oct 18, 2019
  3. dwindows Win User
    Storage pool 4 * 1TB

I have a spare computer running windows 10 pro, running as a "server". I have added 4 1 tb harddrives and pooled them to have one storage space of +/- 4tb. my question is, If one of my drives fail will the whole pool be gone? i ask because i had created the pool and then the computer had some issue so i disconnected the 2 new drives that i had put in and restarted the computer ( at this point only 2 drives were connected out of the 4) but the pool storage space wouldn't show up, after reconecting the 3rd and 4th drive the pool showed up. is there any way i can save my data in case of one drive failing????

dwindows, Oct 18, 2019
  4. Storage Spaces: 1 of 4 HDs failed, can’t access/repair pool

Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool

I had 3x 3TB drives in a parity pool. It started to fill up so i added a fourth 3TB drive and months later one of the original 3 began to fail on me. Performance was slow, then slower, then it showed disconnected.

I retired the drive and added a replacement, literally the same model 3TB drive. I cannot however, get it to remove the failed physical disk and repair the pool. I even tried adding another 2TB drive i had available in case it needed the extra space (didn't make sense but i was reaching).

I get the "drive could not be removed because not all data could be reallocated. add an additional drive to this pool and reattempt this operation."

Any ideas on what i need to do? I have searched a lot and don't really seem to be getting anywhere. The only way i was able to retire the drive was through powershell. I'm assuming it's a GUI issue and perhaps i'm not approaching it correctly via powershell. Attempting to repair virtual disk didn't work.

Any help is appreciated! I really don't want to lose this data. I wasn't able to backup much before the drive failed completely.

samsonbiatch, Oct 18, 2019
Thema:

Storage Spaces: 1 of 4 HDs failed, can’t access/repair pool

1. Storage Spaces: 1 of 4 HDs failed, can’t access/repair pool - Similar Threads - Storage Spaces HDs

2. Storage pool failed drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage pool failed drive: Hello everyone,I recently combined two hard drives that I own to a storage pool, one being an internal drive and the other a portable external hard drive I know silly move. The portable drive is now toasted and I've had a professional look at it with it not being saved. I...
  3. Storage pool failed drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage pool failed drive: Hello everyone,I recently combined two hard drives that I own to a storage pool, one being an internal drive and the other a portable external hard drive I know silly move. The portable drive is now toasted and I've had a professional look at it with it not being saved. I...
  4. Storage pool failed drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2: I used to edit material on an external HDD which I would back up monthly. When that drive failed, I realised that I should have been backing up the edits between month's ends. Then I saw that Storage Spaces in Settings;Storage, promised to 'save files to 2 or more drives' and...
  6. Storage Spaces + Pool Capacity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces + Pool Capacity: I have 2 storage spaces set up. I am a bit confused when it comes to one of them as it is not utilizing the full pool capacity after adding a disk. Does anyone know the command line commands to expand it to utilize the full pool capacity? I have tried to Optimize to no...
  7. create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces

in Windows 10 Customization
    create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces: Dear all, I have connected two USB storage drives, each one of them is 16 GB. I tried to create a new virtual pool but it did not work out. I thought the size is not enough and it may need extra storage spaces. I connected 64 GB then opened the storage space but I am still...
  8. Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool: I had 3x 3TB drives in a parity pool. It started to fill up so i added a fourth 3TB drive and months later one of the original 3 began to fail on me. Performance was slow, then slower, then it showed disconnected. I retired the drive and added a replacement, literally the...
  9. Storage pool 4 * 1TB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage pool 4 * 1TB: I have a spare computer running windows 10 pro, running as a "server". I have added 4 1 tb harddrives and pooled them to have one storage space of +/- 4tb. my question is, If one of my drives fail will the whole pool be gone? i ask because i had created the pool and then the...
  10. Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10: How to: Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 How to Create a Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to create a storage space for a storage pool in Windows...