Windows 10: Storage Spaces and mirroring

Discus and support Storage Spaces and mirroring in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; If I have a drive that already has data on it, is it possible to setup a new Storage space and mirror that drive to it?For example; I have drive D:\... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by HnyBear69, Oct 16, 2021.

1. HnyBear69 Win User

Storage Spaces and mirroring

If I have a drive that already has data on it, is it possible to setup a new Storage space and mirror that drive to it?For example; I have drive D:\ which has data on it. I want to add another drive for D to mirror to. Both drives are the same size, is this possible or will setting up the Storage Space erase the data on the primary drive?

:)

HnyBear69, Oct 16, 2021

2. Win10 Storage Spaces - Mirrored Pool Doesn't Release Space

Using Storage Spaces for a simple Mirrored Pool with (2) 4TB HDD's for a backup drive.

Setup was simple and easy with Storage Spaces reporting a formatted 3.75TB Mirrored Volume.

After test writing some system images and doing some disk speeds tests, Storage Spaces says drives are over 80% full with a warning, but there isn't any kept data on there.

Under Computer Management, the Volume says only 15% used.

So it's like deleted files (also deleted from recycle bin) don't get reported as free space back to the Storage Space Console.

I have also created a SIMPLE storage space with (2) SSD's, but deleted files and space seems to be reclaimed there.

I have enabled Disk Optimizer to run once a week but it doesn't help to reclaim the space on the MIRRORED volume of HDD's.

Trevor Paul, Oct 16, 2021
  3. Mikey44 Win User
    Storage Spaces Mirror 2 Drives?

Actually... no. If you plug out a mirror from a Storage Spaces mirror and plug into another Windows 10 machine, it will first warn you that a Storage Space is in trouble, but seconds later your plugged mirror is fully available. I just tried.
    Interesting enough, you can keep working and modifying your now "reduced resiliency" space. When you plug the missing drive back to your real Storage Spaces machine it gets in sync and back to normal.

I came here looking for some more experienced users having tried this before, but I see that it's a bit crazy and no one has tried it. So far, I'm starting to believe this is a great way to have an always updated roaming media storage.
    I wonder what would happen if the roaming media gets modified, it would be overwritten once back in the mirror?

Mikey44, Oct 16, 2021
  4. fdegrove Win User

Storage Spaces Mirror 2 Drives?

Hi,

The idea is to mirror storage space, not the OS.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 16, 2021
Thema:

1. Storage Spaces and mirroring - Similar Threads - Storage Spaces mirroring

2. Storage Space Mirror

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Space Mirror: I have a two way mirror with two external harddrives and I'm wondering how to recover the files if one of them crashes. I've tried to plug one of the drives into another computer and it won't recognize it. How will I get my files if one of them fails?...
  3. Storage Space Mirror

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Space Mirror: I have a two way mirror with two external harddrives and I'm wondering how to recover the files if one of them crashes. I've tried to plug one of the drives into another computer and it won't recognize it. How will I get my files if one of them fails?...
  4. Storage Spaces and mirroring

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces and mirroring: If I have a drive that already has data on it, is it possible to setup a new Storage space and mirror that drive to it?For example; I have drive D:\ which has data on it. I want to add another drive for D to mirror to. Both drives are the same size, is this possible or will...
  5. Storage Spaces and mirroring

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces and mirroring: If I have a drive that already has data on it, is it possible to setup a new Storage space and mirror that drive to it?For example; I have drive D:\ which has data on it. I want to add another drive for D to mirror to. Both drives are the same size, is this possible or will...
  6. Mirrored drives in Storage Spaces

Mirrored drives in Storage Spaces: If I create a Storage Space and create mirrored drives, does Storage Spaces alert me if one drive fails, or would Windows allow me to continue using the system blindly until both drives fail?...
  7. error "No Capacity" in "Storage Spaces" with a Mirrored storage space 2 drives in mirror

error "No Capacity" in "Storage Spaces" with a Mirrored storage space 2 drives in mirror: I get an error message "No Capacity" in the Storage Spaces section of windows 10 with a mirrored storage space. The Storage Space is formatted in ReFS . Both drives are functioning put both drives in another computer . How can I repair this storage space ?...
  8. Storage Spaces Break Mirror

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces Break Mirror: Hello, I have two mirrored disks as D:\, and lately windows has been telling me D:\ is full though it's not. I suspect this is because there are some errors on one of the disks in the pool that is reporting imminent failure. As it stands, very frequently I can't save...
  9. Error using storage spaces/mirror

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Error using storage spaces/mirror: I upgraded from W8.1 to W10. After the upgrade my mirrored volume was 'gone' (created with disk management). Fortunately I was able to restore the data on one of the disks. I cannot manage to recreate a mirror on Windows 10. I tried using disk management as well as...
  10. Storage Spaces Mirror 2 Drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Storage Spaces Mirror 2 Drives?: I'm hoping someone here might have experience with mirroring 2 drives in Windows 10. I'm reading How-to's but some of my basic questions remain unanswered. I have an SSD (C) used for the OS and loading apps and a 2TB drive that holds for all my files, images and videos,...