Windows 10: Storage spaces and Samsung HDD

Discus and support Storage spaces and Samsung HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have just upgraded from win 7 to Win 10. With win 7 I had a RAID 10 setup with 3 Samsung HD drives and a single WD HDD. All drives are 1TB. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Hugh_020, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Hugh_020 Win User

Storage spaces and Samsung HDD

I have just upgraded from win 7 to Win 10. With win 7 I had a RAID 10 setup with 3 Samsung HD drives and a single WD HDD. All drives are 1TB. I have installed a Samsung NVMA on the M/B and have installed the new OS on that, so I want to use the 4 HD drives as a storage space instead of a RAID. I selected all 4 drives to create a PARITY storage space but the space accepted only the WD drive and reported a connection problem for the other 3. All 4 drives are visible in Disk Manager and are functioning as stand alone drives. When I tried to add the drives one at a time and all together to the storage space they were NOT added and were then reported as unformatted in Disk Manager. How do I get storage spaces to add these 3 drives?

:)

Hugh_020, Jan 18, 2020
  2. tejman Win User

Re-claim Free Space in Storage Spaces Volume

I have a Win10 machine with 1x 500GB SSD (boot drive) and 3x 3TB HDD. I have storage spaces set up for the HDDs and have noticed that any deleted data in the volume does not change "usage" according to storage spaces. Now it says my volume is full despite
    having only ~5TB on it. I have linked screenshots of my output where relevant.

How do I get my free space back?

Here is what I tried already after a lot of searching and nothing has worked:

• Optimize Volume via the GUI (0% trimmed; 99% efficiency) - No Changes
    • Optimize-Volume Slab Consolidation
    • Optimize-Volume Defrag
      • ERROR - Volume Full (I deleted 40GB worth of data and still got a "volume full" error)
      • I tried this defrag manually before the drive was "full" and it ran the defrag but I didnt get any space back
    • Chkdsk
    • Empty Recycle bin, restart, etc.

Is there anything I can do short of deleting the volume and starting over?

Can I prevent in the future? Because if this is just the nature of Storage Spaces they won't work for me.

tejman, Jan 18, 2020
  3. gknorm Win User
    Storage Spaces Parity Repair?

Many thanks, muchomurka!

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately, following your suggested procedure it appears the Storage Spaces parity error persists.

Storage spaces and Samsung HDD [​IMG]

Any other suggestions?

gknorm, Jan 18, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Do not use storage spaces -- mega problems !!!

Hi folks

sometimes when restoring different or earlier images of windows 10 after you've defined a storage space / storage pool on a later version you can't even see the HDD's in the storage pool even with DISKPART in admin mode.

Strangely enough though AOMEI partition manager can see them so you can reformat / delete and then get access to the HDD's as normal disks again.

Minitool partition wizard failed totally to see the HDD's at all.

I'd suggest unless you are really brave leave Windows storage spaces well alone !!!!

Bad one Microsoft !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Storage spaces and Samsung HDD - Similar Threads - Storage spaces Samsung

2. Storage space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage space: Hi.. Im using a mecer z140c with built-in in ram, now the space is https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-space/7eccfdfe-8adc-4bd5-89f4-4ede96d71129
  3. HDD Storage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD Storage: I was wondering why my 1Tb hard drive has only 931gb, i ruled out that it wasnt because of my os because thats on a seperate drive. Does any one know? submitted by /u/NotCaidzz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v12gjo/hdd_storage/
  4. Storage Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Space: I have 119 GB of storage space on C Drive. The Storage tab on Settings tells me I have used 67 GB of that, yet when I add everything up it only comes to 24 GB. What is hiding on that missing 43GB?...
  5. Making the hdd main storage space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Making the hdd main storage space: I recently built a new pc, I have a 512 gb m.2 ssd, and a 2tb hdd. So my boot drive is the ssd. It contains all of the windows stuff. My question is, how do i safely transfer the folders like (Desktop, documents, downloads) into the hdd? And how do i make the contents save...
  6. Storage space

Storage space: I've been trying to install the newest update. However, it says I need more disk space. I've looked online and on the Microsoft website and deleted everything I can. There's nothing in downloads, temporary files, pictures, videos or anything that isn't needed for it to run...
  7. storage space

storage space: hi, I have a problem when I try to install an app in says storage full clear up some space. the problem is I don't want to delete any thing. so is there's a way to increase my storage play without deleting any thing ?...
  8. Storage Spaces

Storage Spaces: I have a 4-bay enclosure of 8TB drives (32TB total) set to parity using Storage spaces. I would suspect I would be able to get about 2/3 (66%) capacity or about 21TB after allowing for parity. However it's telling me that the total capacity is only 14TB. How does that make...
  9. Storage Space

Storage Space: [ATTACH]This may seem like a silly question but can someone please tell me if something is going here that needs any action? I am getting a notification that my laptop that’s linked with my microsoft account needs my attention. When I follow through with where it leads me...
  10. Storage Space cannot see all my HDD's

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Space cannot see all my HDD's: I have Windows 10 Pro I just installed on a Dell XPS with 12GB of Ram. I have 3 drives: My OS is on a Samsung SSD. My data is on a 3TB HDD partitioned into D: (Data) and E: (Video). I also have another identical 3TB drive. I used the latter drive as a mirror on Win 7 for my...