Windows 10: Storage Spaces - Beware if rolling back to W8.1 from W10

Discus and support Storage Spaces - Beware if rolling back to W8.1 from W10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there Beware if you CREATE storage spaces under W10 and roll back to W8.1 -- you'll get configuration error. DO NOT RESET the storage spaces... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Mar 17, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Storage Spaces - Beware if rolling back to W8.1 from W10

Hi there

Beware if you CREATE storage spaces under W10 and roll back to W8.1 -- you'll get configuration error.

DO NOT RESET the storage spaces as you'll lose the data. I think the file structures have changed in W10.

What to do --Re-install W10 again and then SAVE the data. The storage spaces will be fine on a re-install of W10 - you'll need to do a NEW install so install on another HDD or backup your W8.1 / W8 system before re-installing W10.

Hope this saves people anxiety.

I like Storage spaces - but they should be compatible across releases in case you do have to roll back an OS.

You only need to do this if you created the storage spaces on W10. If you created them on W8/W8.1 and then installed W10 everything is fine.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 17, 2015

2. Windows 10 Mobile Camera saving images as .jpg.thumb

No!

I backed up from W10, and after a hard reset roll back W8.1 os, then upgrade to W10 again, then I try to restore W10 backup. The phone restore process ends with error. But the restore file in on the cloud.

Csavajda Attila, Mar 17, 2015
  3. yasserd99 Win User
    it changed form Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Home!

Do you think it will work if i don't roll back to W8.1 and do the upgrade on W10?

and Thank you for helping me

yasserd99, Mar 17, 2015
  4. LEE
    Lee Win User

Thanks there "Big Guys." . . .*cake Just for you.

5. I am glad to have found this reference. Thank you.

To your knowledge, must the install be NEW? I would like to pull an HDD from a working machine and attach it to the machine housing my Storage Spaces volume.

Let's not get side-tracked on the validity of swapping system drives between machines. For our purposes here, let us stipulate that it works.

I am ready to proceed with the process you outlined IF there is no specific knowledge that a NEW install is required.

I sincerely appreciate your time and attention.

GooGooGajoob, Jan 8, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    the problem only arises IF you created the storage spaces on W10 and want to revert back to W8.1 on the other machine.
    Adding another HDD is not normally a problem - however you'll have to delete / copy any files of the old drive before adding it to the storage space area.

What I'd suggest is add the HDD to the new machine as a standard Windows HDD, copy any files you want and then add it to the storage pool.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 8, 2016
  7. I was less than clear. I have a qualified problem. I created the volume in Windows 10. I reverted the OS to Windows 8.1. I have the configuration error. I will not reset.

I understand the recovery process you have outlined, but I have one question. You said "you'll need to do a NEW install".

I would like to use an existing Windows 10 install on an existing SSD. Remove Windows 8.1 SSD from affected machine. Attach the Windows 10 SSD to the affected machine. Boot, recover data by whatever means required (and not addressed here).

To the best of your knowledge, must the install be new?

Again, thank you for your time and attention.

GooGooGajoob, Jan 8, 2016
  8. Storage Spaces - Beware if rolling back to W8.1 from W10

For the record, a NEW install is not required. I attached an existing Windows 10 system drive to the affected mobo and was able to recover.

Not directly related, I did receive a scare from the kludged platform. The affected system also contains a two disk dynamic volume (where I planned to park some of the recovered data). The disks were labeled "foreign" in Windows Disk Management. Fright!

Solution was simple. Right click, Import Foreign Disks.

Thank you, Jimbo.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

GooGooGajoob, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Storage Spaces - Beware if rolling back to W8.1 from W10 - Similar Threads - Storage Spaces Beware

2. Converting a Microsoft Storage Space Device back to a regular storage space?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Converting a Microsoft Storage Space Device back to a regular storage space?: I've been having a lot of issues lately with my computer, namely that one of the disks keeps clocking at 100%. I thought that the way to fix this would be to basically reinstall windows 10 and format my storage. It helped a little, but the issue still seems to be present.I...
  3. Converting a Microsoft Storage Space Device back to a regular storage space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting a Microsoft Storage Space Device back to a regular storage space?: I've been having a lot of issues lately with my computer, namely that one of the disks keeps clocking at 100%. I thought that the way to fix this would be to basically reinstall windows 10 and format my storage. It helped a little, but the issue still seems to be present.I...
  4. Converting a Microsoft Storage Space Device back to a regular storage space?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Back to the future - beware!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back to the future - beware!: Hello. I have installed w7 on an old socket 478 mainboard. Windows 10 cannot be installed because of the lack of NX bit. After everything was installed and updated I found out no program could run. It just failed with or without error message. After checking hard disk and...
  6. how to going back to w8

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to going back to w8: hi, I would like to know if there is any way to going back to w8, I did the update to w10 long time ago but I need to going back to w8, thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-going-back-to-w8/b0da289b-852b-4b4f-9ac0-f9b5d7cd0a7e
  7. Upgrade to W10, roll back to W7, then back to W10 - possible?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade to W10, roll back to W7, then back to W10 - possible?: Hi there, I have a small net-top running Win7, which is primarily used as a WMC DVR/TV system in my living room. As is well known, WMC is not part of W10, and isn't coming back. I'd like to upgrade to W10 on this machine to try out some other options that are out there....
  8. Clean install w10 from w8

Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...
  9. Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD

Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD: Hello, I'm trying to reinstall W8 using my CD but in the Windows Setup, clicking Upgrade gives me a Compatibility Report that tells me to remove the CD, restart my computer so Windows starts normally, then reinsert the CD to restart the upgrade. Clicking Custom and then...
  10. W10 screen snap like W8

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 screen snap like W8: Hi I've just upgraded my laptop to W10 from W8. What I used to do on W8 is say watch the FilmOn app on the right hand side of the screen and use the left hand side to do everything else - outlook, chrome, word, excel...any desktop software. I'd flick between them and the...