Windows 10: Storage Spaces,can you change number of columns after the fact?

Discus and support Storage Spaces,can you change number of columns after the fact? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So i have a storage space pool/virtual disk now with simple resiliency and 2x columns for effectively "raid0" The pool concists of 2 drives. Can i add... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/user_982396, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Storage Spaces,can you change number of columns after the fact?

So i have a storage space pool/virtual disk now with simple resiliency and 2x columns for effectively "raid0" The pool concists of 2 drives.

Can i add 2 more disks to the pool and change columns to 4 without redoing/formatting?

submitted by /u/user_982396
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/user_982396, Oct 1, 2020
  2. keith_uk Win User

Storage Spaces default number of columns

I have 2 x 8tb disks. 1 x 4tb. 2 x 2tb.

If I create a storage pool with all of these disks, will the space available be limited by the smaller (2tb) disks? As I understand it, if the pool has 3 columns, then it will be striped across any 3 disks, so should theoretically be able to use all of the
    space.

If I set up the storage pool using the GUI, will Windows automatically choose 3 columns, or do I need to tackle using the power shell commandlet to force it to use 3 columns (if 3 is indeed the appropriate configuration)

Thanks

keith_uk, Oct 1, 2020
  3. Sorting column of mixed format data

You would need to do this:

• Create an extra column to the right of plot numbers.
    • Copy the plot numbers from the left to the right column.
    • Remove all letters from the left column.
    • Remove all numbers from the right column.
    • Place a space or an exclamation mark into all empty cells in the right column.
    • Sort the list against the left plus the right column.
    • Replace each exclamation mark with a space.

Frederik Long, Oct 1, 2020
  4. StephenQX Win User

Storage Spaces,can you change number of columns after the fact?

Windows 10 Storage Spaces Improvements?

Are you using 3 column parity? This is the default setting for parity spaces in the Windows 8.1 GUI. If so, this is the reason for your high overhead. 3 column single-parity incurrs a 50% storage overhead (1 parity shard for every 2 data shards)

This makes sense for small pools containing 3 or 4 physical disks. However it is a poor choice with 14 physical disks.

In your case I suggest a 12 column dual-parity space. This means 2 parity shards for every 10 data shards. This will allow for recovery from two drive failures and give only a 20% storage overhead.

Unfortunately the Windows 8.1 GUI is too basic to allow creation of such a space. You need to use Powershell. You can create such a space on your existing storage pool and move data to it from your existing parity space. As you move the data your free space
    will increase.

StephenQX, Oct 1, 2020
Thema:

Storage Spaces,can you change number of columns after the fact?

1. Storage Spaces,can you change number of columns after the fact? - Similar Threads - Storage Spaces change

2. Windows 11 changes number of icons on a column on desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 changes number of icons on a column on desktop.: Hello. I'm a Windows 10 and Windows 11 user. I've recently upgraded to Windows 11 but Windows 11 has changed number of icons on a column on desktop. It displays only 9 on Windows 11 desktop screen whereas 10 on Windows 10. How do I make Windows 11 desktop having 10 rows of...
  3. Windows 11 changes number of icons on a column on desktop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 changes number of icons on a column on desktop.: Hello. I'm a Windows 10 and Windows 11 user. I've recently upgraded to Windows 11 but Windows 11 has changed number of icons on a column on desktop. It displays only 9 on Windows 11 desktop screen whereas 10 on Windows 10. How do I make Windows 11 desktop having 10 rows of...
  4. Number of Folder columns

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Number of Folder columns: I had something very different happen, and I don’t know how, on my Microsoft Windows 10 desktop. But one result is that on displaying a folder, it shows all contents in one column instead of the multiple columns, as before. I have tried the various options under “Home”,...
  5. Number of Folder columns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Number of Folder columns: I had something very different happen, and I don’t know how, on my Microsoft Windows 10 desktop. But one result is that on displaying a folder, it shows all contents in one column instead of the multiple columns, as before. I have tried the various options under “Home”,...
  6. Number of Folder columns

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Storage space, does this look right to you?

in Windows 10 Support
    Storage space, does this look right to you?: So according to Windows, there's 225GB of my SSD consumed by apps. This is fairly recent, a couple of days ago I noticed the drive had filled up. It used to be much emptier, but I can't remember exactly how empty or when, because the drive was so empty I never paid any...
  8. Windows unable to boot after changing Storage Spaces Controller

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows unable to boot after changing Storage Spaces Controller: Hi, so I think I've royally screwed up. While trying to install Ubuntu to my SSD drive I ran into a guide that recommended the following instructions: Boot to Windows with your current SATA controller configuration Open Device Manager Expand Storage Controllers and...
  9. Can I Dual Boot After The Fact?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I Dual Boot After The Fact?: If anyone thinks they are important, here are the specs for my machine. Skip them if you want. I have never purchased a computer built by someone else. They always seemed to be clunky and they put in what they want to sell you. I just like my builds much better than someone...
  10. Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10: How to: Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10 How to Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to change the name, drive letter, and size of a storage space...