Windows 10: Storage Spaces - created a Raid 0 with Powershell but the Manage Storage Spaces UI doesn't...

Discus and support Storage Spaces - created a Raid 0 with Powershell but the Manage Storage Spaces UI doesn't... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; To upgrade my old blu-ray storage disks, I created a new 3 disk, 3 column Simple pool using the process described here:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 1CurtisB, Nov 24, 2019.

1. 1CurtisB Win User

Storage Spaces - created a Raid 0 with Powershell but the Manage Storage Spaces UI doesn't...

To upgrade my old blu-ray storage disks, I created a new 3 disk, 3 column Simple pool using the process described here:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...d-0-with/c440086c-4bb6-410d-9e92-fd98ce6626cc

It seems to have worked correctly and it is reporting 3 columns, vs 1 column with previous 4 disc Simply Storage Space. However, it shows 100% pool usage in Storage Spaces UI for this pool vs. the actual number in the 1 column pool which was set up via the UI (I noticed it is the same in the linked Answers process). Windows Explorer correctly shows the data and space remaining on the pooled drive letter.

Question:
    1. Are the steps in the linked "answers" post accurate?
    2. Assume they are, is there a way to get Storage Spaces to report space usage correctly?

3. If there isn't, is there anything that I might need to be concerned about given that is working and Explorer reports usage correctly?

Storage Spaces - created a Raid 0 with Powershell but the Manage Storage Spaces UI doesn't... d831ed07-2ee6-4a9f-aa63-deee43a48e6c?upload=true.jpg
    Storage Spaces - created a Raid 0 with Powershell but the Manage Storage Spaces UI doesn't... 1be318ff-f82f-46a6-8961-0624e324799a?upload=true.jpg
    Storage Spaces - created a Raid 0 with Powershell but the Manage Storage Spaces UI doesn't... ceefb252-5c5d-4f7f-b389-a0bbc2d0305c?upload=true.jpg

:)

1CurtisB, Nov 24, 2019
  2. Mithin_EJ Win User

Storage Spaces - trying to create a Raid 0 with Powershell

Hi NikitaRomeo,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand how difficult it can be when you are trying to create volume with Storage Spaces on
    Raid 0 with PowerShell. However, we would like you to check with our TechNet forum team to make the necessary changes on the
    Raid issue. I would suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet
    forums, where we have the engineers with the expertise to provide solutions for issues related RAID and can provide relevant solution to your query.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mithin_EJ, Nov 24, 2019
  3. Jim-L Win User
    Unable to format software RAID created using Storage Spaces or Dynamic Disk: The parameter is inccorect

Since upgrading to Windows 10, I'm unable to create software RAID-0 or RAID-1 using either Storage Spaces or Dynamic Disk. I can create the partition just fine, but formatting the partition will fail with an error: "The parameter is incorrect."

Formatting using Storage Manager, diskpart or format doesn't make any difference.

Jim-L, Nov 24, 2019
  4. Storage Spaces - created a Raid 0 with Powershell but the Manage Storage Spaces UI doesn't...

Storage Spaces - trying to create a Raid 0 with Powershell

My problem is pretty simple, I set up a 2 X 960 Evo SSD simple volume with Storage Spaces and performance was no better than using the drives singly.

Some research seems to say that using the Storage Spaces gui in Win 10 only sets the columns to 1 when what I need is 2.

Number Friendly Name Serial Number HealthStatus OperationalStatus Total Size Partition

Style

------ ------------- ------------- ------------ ----------------- ---------- ----------

0 Crucial_CT275... 1631138774D7 Healthy Online 256.17 GB GPT

3 ST3000DM008-2... ZA508H69 Healthy Online 2.73 TB GPT

4 NVMe Samsung ... 0025_3858_81B0_B1E6. Healthy Online 232.89 GB GPT

1 Samsung SSD 8... S3Y9NX0K837728B Healthy Online 232.89 GB GPT

2 Samsung SSD 8... S3Y9NX0K837729P Healthy Online 232.89 GB GPT

DeviceId FriendlyName SerialNumber MediaType CanPool OperationalStatus HealthStatus Usage Size

-------- ------------ ------------ --------- ------- ----------------- ------------ ----- ----

2 Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB S3Y9NX0K837729P SSD True OK Healthy Auto-Select ...9 GB

1 Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB S3Y9NX0K837728B SSD True OK Healthy Auto-Select ...9 GB

0 Crucial_CT275MX300SSD1 1631138774D7 SSD True OK Healthy Auto-Select ...7 GB

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-StorageSubsystem

FriendlyName HealthStatus OperationalStatus

------------ ------------ -----------------

Windows Storage on AMD-RYZEN-2700X-Desktop Healthy OK

I am trying to Raid ) the two Samsung Drives, I am way over my head here but I am trying my best. The Command I am trying to make work is....

New-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName SuperSpeedDelight -StoragePoolFriendlyName Windows Storage on AMD-RYZEN-2700X-Desktop -NumberOfColumns 2 -ResiliencySettingName simple -UseMaximumSize

I do not understand what should be next to Friendlyname or StoragePoolFriendlyName (I feel I have tried every combination)and the Samsung drives being identically named is also making my brain hurt.

I also do not understand how to tell it what drives to use

If anyone could help me with this I would be eternally grateful. I think I can just do this in disk management but if I understand correctly this way will make use of trim, and even if it does not I will be able to add to the pool in the future once I understand
    how to set it up.

Thank you in advance

NikitaRomeo, Nov 24, 2019
Thema:

Storage Spaces - created a Raid 0 with Powershell but the Manage Storage Spaces UI doesn't...

1. Storage Spaces - created a Raid 0 with Powershell but the Manage Storage Spaces UI doesn't... - Similar Threads - Storage Spaces created

2. Storage Spaces using Powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces using Powershell: Hi, I'm trying to use Storage Spaces. On Windows 11. I have 1 Samsung 500GB SSD Boot. I have 3 Samsung 500GB SSD's. For Storage Spaces. On a Pcie x16. I want to use Simple No Resiliency. RAID 0. I tried "Get-PhysicalDisk." It shows 5 drives. 4 Samsung SSD's and 1 Western...
  3. Storage Spaces using Powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Spaces using Powershell: Hi, I'm trying to use Storage Spaces. On Windows 11. I have 1 Samsung 500GB SSD Boot. I have 3 Samsung 500GB SSD's. For Storage Spaces. On a Pcie x16. I want to use Simple No Resiliency. RAID 0. I tried "Get-PhysicalDisk." It shows 5 drives. 4 Samsung SSD's and 1 Western...
  4. Storage spaces raid 0

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage spaces raid 0: have 5 disks with 18TB so made a storage space of 81TB but only allowed to use 63 TB as NTFS. 64TB fails. whats wrong ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-spaces-raid-0/84616e8c-ac97-462e-8692-df76beb92272
  5. Storage spaces raid 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage spaces raid 0: have 5 disks with 18TB so made a storage space of 81TB but only allowed to use 63 TB as NTFS. 64TB fails. whats wrong ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-spaces-raid-0/84616e8c-ac97-462e-8692-df76beb92272
  6. Storage spaces raid 0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Storage Space on RAID not available

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Space on RAID not available: Windows 10 pro, just installed. Version 20H2. (Updates not yet started.) Two RAID 1 arrays created in BIOS MB: X570 AORUS Ultra, BIOS date Dec. 2019 I just installed Win10 Pro on the first RAID 1 (two M.2 drives). Windows cannot see the larger RAID 1 (SATA) I'd planned to use...
  8. Storage Spaces - trying to create a Raid 0 with Powershell

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces - trying to create a Raid 0 with Powershell: My problem is pretty simple, I set up a 2 X 960 Evo SSD simple volume with Storage Spaces and performance was no better than using the drives singly. Some research seems to say that using the Storage Spaces gui in Win 10 only sets the columns to 1 when what I need is 2....
  9. create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces

in Windows 10 Customization
    create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces: Dear all, I have connected two USB storage drives, each one of them is 16 GB. I tried to create a new virtual pool but it did not work out. I thought the size is not enough and it may need extra storage spaces. I connected 64 GB then opened the storage space but I am still...
  10. using powershell to create mixed storage spaces

in Windows 10 Support
    using powershell to create mixed storage spaces: Hi all. I'm trying to use powershell to create a complex storage space on my 4x6TB HD. I want to make the first 4TB of each HD in simple pool and the remaining space 2TB with Mirror 2way. 4x4TB Simple 4x2TB Mirror 2Way This way should be similar to the max speed of...