Windows 10: Storage Spaces: Drives not appearing during creation of new pool

Discus and support Storage Spaces: Drives not appearing during creation of new pool in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, In order to figure out the type of Storage Space configuration that would best suit my needs, I was attempting to create different situations... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by techwiz001, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Storage Spaces: Drives not appearing during creation of new pool

Hello,

In order to figure out the type of Storage Space configuration that would best suit my needs, I was attempting to create different situations using 5 USB 3.0 flash drives all 16gb or larger on my ThinkPad P50. However, when selecting drives to be part of my storage pool, none of these flash drives appear, though the internal SATA drive used for File History, not the boot drive is selectable. Have you experienced this issue before? Can these flash drives be made to appear in the storage pool creation menu?

Thanks for your help.

:)

techwiz001, Jul 14, 2020
  2. 333t Win User

How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Could someone list the steps involved in replacing a bad drive from a Windows 10 storage spaces pool? I cannot find any info on the Microsoft support site that is specific to Windows 10. Also, could you list the steps to remove a 'good' drive and replace
    it with another drive if the process is different?

3. chuck1212 Win User
    Storage Spaces Pool - How to find enumerated drive number?

Hi All,

When creating a Storage Spaces Pool, the member drives are no longer listed in Disk Management.

My system has been hanging every so often and when I checked the Windows logs, I see a lot of critical error messages about Harddisk/DR10 having a bad block. Since Disk Management no longer lists the individual pool drives, how do I find out which DR10 is one of the pool member drives?

I've tried mini partition tool to see if it can see the drives, it doesn't. It can only see what Disk Management sees and that's only non-storage spaces pooled drives.

Many thanks!
    Chuck

chuck1212, Jul 14, 2020
  4. MikeBar Win User

Storage Spaces: Drives not appearing during creation of new pool

When adding a journal for storage spaces, is the journal added to the storage pool or a the storage space?

I'm planning to create 2 storage spaces, 1 for backup and 1 for my main data. I was going to add 1 journal to each storage space, but it looks like the journal applies to the storage pool, not the storage space. Is that the case? if it is, is the better
    approach to add 2 SSD drives to the storage pool as journals? If I add 2 drives as journals, how do I change the friendly name of the drives? Both of my drives that I want to use as journals have the same exact name.

Thanks,

Mike

MikeBar, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

Storage Spaces: Drives not appearing during creation of new pool

1. Storage Spaces: Drives not appearing during creation of new pool - Similar Threads - Storage Spaces Drives

2. How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Essentially, Storage Spaces stores two copies of your data so if one of your […] This article How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2: I used to edit material on an external HDD which I would back up monthly. When that drive failed, I realised that I should have been backing up the edits between month's ends. Then I saw that Storage Spaces in Settings;Storage, promised to 'save files to 2 or more drives' and...
  4. Storage Spaces + Pool Capacity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces + Pool Capacity: I have 2 storage spaces set up. I am a bit confused when it comes to one of them as it is not utilizing the full pool capacity after adding a disk. Does anyone know the command line commands to expand it to utilize the full pool capacity? I have tried to Optimize to no...
  5. Create New Pool does not work on Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create New Pool does not work on Storage Spaces: No matter what I try, the app "Storage Spaces" cannot create a new pool. I tried reconnecting and disconnecting my USB drives and nothing worked. Do you have any suggestions on how to RAID USB drives together as one? Thanks in advanced....
  6. How to recover External drive data disappeared during the Storage Pool creation process?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to recover External drive data disappeared during the Storage Pool creation process?: Hi all. How to recover External drive data disappeared during the Storage Pool creation process? Tried to use the "Storage Pool" in my Windows 10, by trying to add my WD external HD, but operation failed and I end-up with obscure, unrecognized external HD except by "Disk...
  7. create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces

in Windows 10 Customization
    create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces: Dear all, I have connected two USB storage drives, each one of them is 16 GB. I tried to create a new virtual pool but it did not work out. I thought the size is not enough and it may need extra storage spaces. I connected 64 GB then opened the storage space but I am still...
  8. Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. When you add drives to a storage pool, the hardware...
  9. Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information create virtual drives called storage spaces. These storage spaces typically store two copies of your data so if one...
  10. Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10: How to: Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10 How to Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. You can create a simple, mirror (two-way or three-way), or parity storage space: Simple...