Windows 10: Storage spaces - How to move external USB drive from one port to another

Discus and support Storage spaces - How to move external USB drive from one port to another in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Based on everything I read about Storage Spaces, I thought it would be possible to move a drive from one USB port to another, with no issue. But when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jellicle0, Dec 22, 2019.

1. jellicle0 Win User

Storage spaces - How to move external USB drive from one port to another

Based on everything I read about Storage Spaces, I thought it would be possible to move a drive from one USB port to another, with no issue.

But when I do that, Storage Spaces doesn't recognize that I've reconnected the drive. Is there some trick? Or must I use the same USB port forever that I originally plugged into? I'm trying to move from a port on the front of my PC to one on the back of the PC.

:)

jellicle0, Dec 22, 2019
  2. Klaw117 Win User

External Hard Drives Won't Work on Two Specific USB Ports

I should note that one drive is a USB 3.0 external hard drive while the other is a USB 3.1 external solid state drive. Both are being plugged into only USB 3.0 ports. The two ports that don't detect the external HDD and SSD will detect regular USB thumb drives.
    No, I have not tried different cables. However, the cables and drives work fine in other USB 3.0 ports either in the back or the front.

Nothing is listed in Disk Management.

These are getting power from the USB ports. The external HDD's LED turns on but does not spin. In other ports with the same cable, it does. The external SSD lights up too but the storage doesn't seem to be detected unless plugged into another port.

As stated above, all ports are USB 3.0.

There are no errors in the Device Manager.

Based on the questions/answers being given here. It sounds like there may be a power issue with the two USB ports. Do thumb drives and external drives have different power requirements?

Klaw117, Dec 22, 2019
  3. External Drive using storage spaces does not work on my new Win 10 PC?

Hi Leo,

Storage Spaces not only increase storage over time as you add drivers to your PC, it will also help you in protecting your data from drive failures. To isolate your concern, we'd like to know if you were getting any error messages when trying
    to connect the external drive to your new PC. Also, can you tell us what troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to perform a diagnostic process on your system that will check and fix issues related to Storage Spaces. To do this, please follow the steps below:

• Type troubleshooting in the Search bar, then press
      Enter.
    • Click View all from the left pane.
    • Locate and click Hardware and Devices to run the troubleshooter then follow the next steps.

Furthermore, here is a link for more information about the Storage
    Spaces in Windows 10

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Eileen Gal, Dec 22, 2019
  4. cgm707 Win User

Will using Storage Spaces wipe out data already on external drive?

Windows 10 says i am low on space and suggests using Storage Spaces. I have an external hard drive with lots of space that I was going to use, rather than buy another drive. Will moving data to save space from my PC to the drive work if there is already
    data on the external, and, will it wipe out the existing data if I can move additional data to the external?

cgm707, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Storage spaces - How to move external USB drive from one port to another - Similar Threads - Storage spaces move

2. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving from one boot drive to another: So on my windows 10 PC i have 3 drives:My SSD - Which was my old main drive that was running windows and still has it Important filesJust a storage drive Important filesMy new 3TB HD - Which is running windows on it now No important filesIm trying to switch back to windows on...
  3. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving from one boot drive to another: So on my windows 10 PC i have 3 drives:My SSD - Which was my old main drive that was running windows and still has it Important filesJust a storage drive Important filesMy new 3TB HD - Which is running windows on it now No important filesIm trying to switch back to windows on...
  4. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Windows From One Drive To Another: I have three drives C,D & E. I want to move windows and do a clean install from C to E, but keep the files that are on D. The main reason is that C is tiny and out of space and E is faster and much larger. I don't care about preferences and applications being lost as I have...
  6. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Windows From One Drive To Another: I have three drives C,D & E. I want to move windows and do a clean install from C to E, but keep the files that are on D. The main reason is that C is tiny and out of space and E is faster and much larger. I don't care about preferences and applications being lost as I have...
  7. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

8. Files moved from one drive to another

Files moved from one drive to another: Hello,So recently my files have been moved from one drive to another, my files in drive C: are now in drive F:, and the ones in drive F: are now in drive E:, and I'm logged into a default user instead of mine. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?...
  9. Files moved from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files moved from one drive to another: Hello,So recently my files have been moved from one drive to another, my files in drive C: are now in drive F:, and the ones in drive F: are now in drive E:, and I'm logged into a default user instead of mine. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?...
  10. Move space from one partition to another (same physical drive)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move space from one partition to another (same physical drive): Is this possible without third-party software? I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it with disk management, I shrink the volume I want to take space from but then the "expand volume" option is greyed out when I right click on the partition I want to move that free...