Windows 10: Storage Spaces Parity

Discus and support Storage Spaces Parity in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I use Windows Storage Spaces with 6 1TB drives. Using a parity setup The issue I am seeing is that when I first start copying/moving files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DanielPotter3, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Storage Spaces Parity

Hi all,

I use Windows Storage Spaces with 6 1TB drives. Using a parity setup

The issue I am seeing is that when I first start copying/moving files to or from the volumes, the speeds are what I would expect approx 250-500MB/s but within around 10 seconds, the speeds drop off a cliff to under 30MB/s.

I have done some research into this issue and found a lot of people suffer the same issue, there appears to be some kind of bottleneck in Windows that causes this to happen.

One person tried mapping the drives to a linux VM https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/96r6m669 and it ran at full speeds but in Windows, the speeds are seriously poor. Is there some update I can install that will fix this issue please as it is getting ridiculous. The parity read/write speeds are less than 25% of the single drive performance in Windows but - as proven by the person in the above link, they work fine in other OS's.

If not, is there some setting I can tweak to improve performance I do not have UPS so disabling caching is not an option

My system specifications are:

Windows 10 Professional 64-bit downloaded using the Windows 10 Media Creator and installed freshly to the system when I finished building it

ASRock A88M-G/3.1 Motherboard

AMD A10-7700K

32GB DDR3-10668500 in dual channel mode 2x16GB

AMD R9-280X 3GB PCIe 3.0 x16

256GB NVME for Windows PCI-e 2.0 x4

256GB SATA SSD for games SATA III

3 3.5" 7200 RPM SATA III drives 1tb each

3 2.5" 2 are 7200 RPM, one is 5400RPM SATA III drives 1tb each again

All the SATA HDDs are running in Windows storage spaces and all my volumes are parity setup.

This must be some kind of software error somewhere and it needs a fix from somewhere.

:)

DanielPotter3, Jun 5, 2020
  2. gknorm Win User

Storage Spaces Parity Repair?

Many thanks, muchomurka!

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately, following your suggested procedure it appears the Storage Spaces parity error persists.

Storage Spaces Parity [​IMG]

Any other suggestions?

gknorm, Jun 5, 2020
  3. gknorm Win User

Hi: I'm a newbie here... using an OWC Thunderbay 6 DAS with Thunderbolt 3 for video/photo files using (Win 10 Home) Storage Spaces for the past 6 weeks without problems. Using Parity option in Storage Spaces to emulate RAID 5 protection.

Today, got Parity Error in Manage Storage Spaces, though all 6 drives show "OK". Both Hard Disk Sentinel and CrystaDiskInfo also show normal drives. No pertinent drive events in Event Viewer.

From reading other posts from folks with Storage Spaces issues, I'm inclined to "repair" this parity error if possible, and then consider migrating to DrivePool to avoid repetition or other future issues with SS. Can anyone walk me through how to do a parity repair?

If not doable, then can someone detail a step-by-step process for migrating my 24Tb currently on Storage Spaces to Drivepool? Many thanks!

gknorm, Jun 5, 2020
  4. gknorm Win User

Storage Spaces Parity

After following your suggestion above, here is result:

Storage Spaces Parity [​IMG]

gknorm, Jun 5, 2020
Thema:

Storage Spaces Parity

1. Storage Spaces Parity - Similar Threads - Storage Spaces Parity

2. Expanding storage spaces with parity.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Expanding storage spaces with parity.: The storage space was created like this.New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "Storage pool" -FriendlyName "Files" -NumberOfColumns 5 -Interleave 64KB -ResiliencySettingName Parity -UseMaximumSizeThen formatted with 128 KB as the Allocation Unit Size.I initially had 5*2TB...
  3. Expanding storage spaces with parity.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Expanding storage spaces with parity.: The storage space was created like this.New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "Storage pool" -FriendlyName "Files" -NumberOfColumns 5 -Interleave 64KB -ResiliencySettingName Parity -UseMaximumSizeThen formatted with 128 KB as the Allocation Unit Size.I initially had 5*2TB...
  4. Expanding storage spaces with parity.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Storage Spaces now RAW format on 60TB of Parity using Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces now RAW format on 60TB of Parity using Storage Spaces: Thanks in advance.I recently upgraded my storage spaces and increased my storage size. I added an 18tb drive to an existing storage space. During this process I increased my storage space size logical to 80TB. I have 5X 18tb hard drives. The drives are set to parity, since...
  6. Storage Spaces now RAW format on 60TB of Parity using Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Spaces now RAW format on 60TB of Parity using Storage Spaces: Thanks in advance.I recently upgraded my storage spaces and increased my storage size. I added an 18tb drive to an existing storage space. During this process I increased my storage space size logical to 80TB. I have 5X 18tb hard drives. The drives are set to parity, since...
  7. 20H2 and Parity storage spaces

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    20H2 and Parity storage spaces: I'm currently holding my desktop rig at Windows 10 1909 because I use Parity storage spaces. Has anyone here used Parity storage spaces on 20H2 and is able to confirm the 2004 bug has been fixed? I had to restore from backup when I first updated to 2004 and I don't want to...
  8. Storage Spaces Parity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces Parity: Anyone here using Storage Spaces Parity mode? Looking for any information on your experiences with it if so. Thanks 168976
  9. Storage Spaces Parity Repair?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces Parity Repair?: Hi: I'm a newbie here... using an OWC Thunderbay 6 DAS with Thunderbolt 3 for video/photo files using (Win 10 Home) Storage Spaces for the past 6 weeks without problems. Using Parity option in Storage Spaces to emulate RAID 5 protection. Today, got Parity Error in Manage...
  10. Storage spaces, parity, and adding an additional drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage spaces, parity, and adding an additional drive: I have been running storage spaces on my Win10 computer for quite some time now (and am happy with it, even when I lost a drive it recovered nicely). It worked without being annoyingly overcomplicated, and I really just needed slow, safe space. My setup: 3x hard drives, the...