Windows 10: Storage Spaces + Pool Capacity

Discus and support Storage Spaces + Pool Capacity in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 2 storage spaces set up. I am a bit confused when it comes to one of them as it is not utilizing the full pool capacity after adding a disk.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Aaron X, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Aaron X Win User

Storage Spaces + Pool Capacity

I have 2 storage spaces set up. I am a bit confused when it comes to one of them as it is not utilizing the full pool capacity after adding a disk. Does anyone know the command line commands to expand it to utilize the full pool capacity? I have tried to Optimize to no avail. Storage Spaces + Pool Capacity 6b2b2ced-fa12-44ac-b28d-0e6930bc59df?upload=true.png

:)

Aaron X, Jul 17, 2020
  2. Dave Win User

Understanding Storage Spaces capacity descriptions

I have a Storage Spaces array in Windows 10 consisting of 7 SATA HDDs ranging from 3TB -> 8TB each (-edit- for completeness, those drive capacities are: {3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 8, 8}).

I'm trying to understand the Storage Spaces capacity values, shown below:

Storage Spaces + Pool Capacity IuI6y.png

The section above the drive Name & Letter makes sense in isolation:

• 15 TB
      • defined size, with thin provisioning allowing it to exceed actual
        available capacity
    • Using 14.6 TB pool capacity
      • the actual available configured capacity

And the 31.8 TB "Total pool capacity" makes complete sense as the sum of the actual disk capacity from each drive.

But...

1. Why is only 14.6 available?
      • I've defined my size as 15 TB
      • It says I have 17.2 TB available
    2. What's the relationship here of the 22.5 TB "Including resiliency"?
    3. What is my actual real max configurable usable capacity?
      • I expected to have around 20 TB (66% of 32) - so I'm guessing it's actually only 17.2, but then see question #1

3. Storage Spaces capacity error

Hi,

I am using Storage spaces in Raid 5 (parity).

Storages spaces is telling me that my capacity is full and I need to add more drives. However, in 'This Pc' (my computer) it is telling me I still have over 7.5 tb available?

I have checked the data in my pool and it confirms that i should still have 7.5tb available.

Why is storages spaces telling me otherwise? Is it wrong? Is it malfunctioning? Have I done something wrong?? Can i correct this???

Details:

OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

8x 3tb WD Green harddrives (data) - Raid 5 (parity)

1x 120gb Kingston SSD (OS)

Storage spaces indicating:

Pool capacity 21.8 tb

Using 21.5 tb

This Pc indicating:

Capacity 21.7 tb

Used 14.2 tb

Free 7.51 tb

I have checked the size of the data in the pool and it is matches with what 'This Pc' is reporting. Why is Storage spaces saying otherwise?

Please help!

Much appreciated! Storage Spaces + Pool Capacity :)

trickyricky1, Jul 17, 2020
  4. Storage Spaces + Pool Capacity

Storage Spaces capacity error

Hi, Thanks for your response.

But this does not explain why 'storage spaces' says my pool is full and 'My PC' says i have 7.5 tb of space available?

'My PC' IS correct, 'storage spaces is incorrect. But 'storage spaces' will not let me add any new files/data.

I did run Disk cleanup like you suggested but there were no files to clean in the 'storage spaces' pool.

The pool is only used to store media files. Not OS.

Please help x

trickyricky1, Jul 17, 2020
Thema:

Storage Spaces + Pool Capacity

1. Storage Spaces + Pool Capacity - Similar Threads - Storage Spaces Pool

2. Storage pool shows correct capacity, explorer does not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage pool shows correct capacity, explorer does not: I have a storage pool with two 14TB disks. I recently added another 14TB disk to the pool, it shows the disk in the storage pool and the correct capacity is listed. In explorer and any other way to access the drive, it only shows the capacity of the two disks....
  3. Storage pool shows correct capacity, explorer does not

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage pool shows correct capacity, explorer does not: I have a storage pool with two 14TB disks. I recently added another 14TB disk to the pool, it shows the disk in the storage pool and the correct capacity is listed. In explorer and any other way to access the drive, it only shows the capacity of the two disks....
  4. Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2: I used to edit material on an external HDD which I would back up monthly. When that drive failed, I realised that I should have been backing up the edits between month's ends. Then I saw that Storage Spaces in Settings;Storage, promised to 'save files to 2 or more drives' and...
  5. Stogare Spaces reports wrong pool capacity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stogare Spaces reports wrong pool capacity: Hello, Earlier last month i reinstalled my computer, currently running the latest version of Windows 10 Pro 20H2. I have a storage pool of 2 6TB drives and 2 storage spaces, one of the spaces is a simple space with no resiliency and the other is a two-way mirror. Both...
  6. Windows Storage Spaces issue "Using 10.2 TB of 14.5 TB pool capacity"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Storage Spaces issue "Using 10.2 TB of 14.5 TB pool capacity": [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Raglesnarf [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i3tggr/windows_storage_spaces_issue_using_102_tb_of_145/
  7. create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces

in Windows 10 Customization
    create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces: Dear all, I have connected two USB storage drives, each one of them is 16 GB. I tried to create a new virtual pool but it did not work out. I thought the size is not enough and it may need extra storage spaces. I connected 64 GB then opened the storage space but I am still...
  8. Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. If you created a storage pool in Windows 8.1 and either remove drives from pools...
  9. Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10: How to: Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 How to Create a Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to create a storage space for a storage pool in Windows...
  10. Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. When you create a new storage pool, it is named Storage pool by default. You may want to...