Windows 10: Storage spaces retired disk in mirror - drive seems ok

Discus and support Storage spaces retired disk in mirror - drive seems ok in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all - have set up a mirror configuration in storage spaces of 2 4TB drives. I have got a waning that there is a problem and in the storage spaces... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mmoalem, Mar 5, 2017.

1. mmoalem Win User

Storage spaces retired disk in mirror - drive seems ok

Hi all - have set up a mirror configuration in storage spaces of 2 4TB drives. I have got a waning that there is a problem and in the storage spaces GUI it shows as one drive been retired (a seagate ST4000DM000) and need replacing. I run a short test of the drive with SeaTools and it passed the test fine so I wonder what I should do and how: Is there a way to un-retire a disk and try it again? is my only option to buy a new disk? if I buy a disk do I need to unplug all the drives in the meantime for fear of corrupted data because the mirror is not working? when the drive is retired is it still used by storage spaces to mirror the data?
    any advice will be welcomed

:)

mmoalem, Mar 5, 2017
  2. zerobomb Win User

Storage Spaces full... Irreparably

I have a mirrored ReFS storage space, in which I am using 2.67TB of the available 4.10TB capacity. (i.e. I've got about 1.3 GB of stuff, but it's mirrored)

476GB drive (SSD, 99.6% used, retired)

931GB drive (HDD, 0.08% used, OK)

931GB drive (HDD, 96.3% used, OK)

1.81TB drive (HDD, 73.6% used, OK)

Windows has decided that something is full, and no longer allows me to access any of the files in the storage space. Attempting to open the drive in Explorer results in an error "S:\ is not accessible.
    There is not enough space on the disk"

In the event viewer, I find that ReFSv1 is throwing an error when trying to mount the volume at boot time:

"Volume is formatted as ReFS but ReFS is unable to mount it; ReFS encountered status An operation failed because the disk was full. If this is a thinly provisioned volume the physical storage backing this
    volume has been exhausted."

Failure reason: 0xc000007f

I have attempted Repair-VirtualDisk, but Get-StorageJob shows that the repair process is suspended at 0%.

Question: How do I either fix this, or recover the information from the storage pool?

zerobomb, Mar 5, 2017
  3. Cannot remove a "Retired" drive in Windows 10 Storage Spaces

After spending a few more hours on YouTube looking at everything about Storage Spaces, I found one video where a guy shows how to use the Powershell commands to "retire" a specific drive in the Storage Space pool of drives. This essentially tells Storage
    Spaces to reallocate the data on the selected drive and prepare it for removal. The reallocation works on Parity and 2 and 3 way mirror volumes, but NOT for Simple volumes, which he added in his comments section. Since I no longer use Simple volumes in my
    Storage Spaces pool, the "retire" Powershell command would do everything else I wanted in my proposed "vacate drive" command. I can live with the Powershell retire command until the Storage Spaces GUI adds a method to retire a drive.

BTW, I talked to a few other local computer guys who tried Storage Spaces on their systems. Both said that they had used Simple volumes as part of their pool, and everything was great until it wasn't. Both reported that they lost ALL their data in their
    Simple volumes when one drive failed. Fortunately for me, my failed drive was still seen by my Storage Spaces and was automatically "retired." I was able to manually transfer all the data on the Simple volume to a Parity volume. If the drive had totally failed
    and was no longer recognized by Storage Spaces, I guess I would also have lost everything!?

I was under the impression that if you had a Simple volume on a multi drive pool, and one drive failed, you would only lose data on that drive. What I think people are experiencing, is that the ENTIRE Simple volume, spanning multiple drives, will lose ALL
    data when the Simple volume becomes inaccessible due to a drive failure (Storage Spaces no longer sees the failed drive at all).

At best, if you need faster read/write times than a Parity or Mirror volume on your server, then a Simple volume should only be considered as a limited TEMP file storage solution. For me, it's no longer worth it and if I need a simple backup of my data,
    I'll just use a standalone USB HDD not associated with Storage Spaces.

GeorgeTaus, Mar 5, 2017
Thema:

Storage spaces retired disk in mirror - drive seems ok

1. Storage spaces retired disk in mirror - drive seems ok - Similar Threads - Storage spaces retired

2. Storage Space Mirror

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Space Mirror: I have a two way mirror with two external harddrives and I'm wondering how to recover the files if one of them crashes. I've tried to plug one of the drives into another computer and it won't recognize it. How will I get my files if one of them fails?...
  3. Storage Space Mirror

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Space Mirror: I have a two way mirror with two external harddrives and I'm wondering how to recover the files if one of them crashes. I've tried to plug one of the drives into another computer and it won't recognize it. How will I get my files if one of them fails?...
  4. Storage Spaces and mirroring

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces and mirroring: If I have a drive that already has data on it, is it possible to setup a new Storage space and mirror that drive to it?For example; I have drive D:\ which has data on it. I want to add another drive for D to mirror to. Both drives are the same size, is this possible or will...
  5. Storage Spaces and mirroring

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces and mirroring: If I have a drive that already has data on it, is it possible to setup a new Storage space and mirror that drive to it?For example; I have drive D:\ which has data on it. I want to add another drive for D to mirror to. Both drives are the same size, is this possible or will...
  6. Storage Spaces and mirroring

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Mirrored drives in Storage Spaces

Mirrored drives in Storage Spaces: If I create a Storage Space and create mirrored drives, does Storage Spaces alert me if one drive fails, or would Windows allow me to continue using the system blindly until both drives fail?...
  8. Storage spaces Mirrored drives inaccessable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Storage spaces Mirrored drives inaccessable: I have two 8GB drives in a mirrored storage space. It was working fine but now the storage space is inaccessible and is not visible when I go into 'Disk Management'. When I go into 'Manage Storage Spaces' it shows an error on one drive and says "Error, consider replacing"....
  9. error "No Capacity" in "Storage Spaces" with a Mirrored storage space 2 drives in mirror

error "No Capacity" in "Storage Spaces" with a Mirrored storage space 2 drives in mirror: I get an error message "No Capacity" in the Storage Spaces section of windows 10 with a mirrored storage space. The Storage Space is formatted in ReFS . Both drives are functioning put both drives in another computer . How can I repair this storage space ?...
  10. Storage Spaces Mirror 2 Drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Storage Spaces Mirror 2 Drives?: I'm hoping someone here might have experience with mirroring 2 drives in Windows 10. I'm reading How-to's but some of my basic questions remain unanswered. I have an SSD (C) used for the OS and loading apps and a 2TB drive that holds for all my files, images and videos,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. retired storagespaces drive mirror