Windows 10: Storage Spaces/Software Raid | What Are My Best Options?

Discus and support Storage Spaces/Software Raid | What Are My Best Options? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, So this is a multiple question on same topic thread. So my current set up is 3 SSD drives, two the same running in software RAID0 (I think... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ASCiiDiTY, Aug 18, 2019.

1. ASCiiDiTY Win User

Storage Spaces/Software Raid | What Are My Best Options?

Hi guys,

So this is a multiple question on same topic thread.

So my current set up is 3 SSD drives, two the same running in software RAID0 (I think they call it resilient mode in Storage Spaces settings) which I use to install games not sure if this is woth it or not, does it just affect loading times, will it really help in some resource hungry games having them running on a seperate RAID0 disk from the OS?

The other SSD I obviously am using to boot/run my OS, but recently have gone to do a fresh install, and noticed the windows install (unlike BIOS) is still treating that drive as one RAID0 drive, and while back in Windows on the new install all that drives data is still perfectly intact and working in Windows as it was and should be. But am I right in thinking I could install a copy of Windows to that drive and it would actually install and be bootable? Which drive would you give priority in BIOS as it sees them as two separate disks and does not have software or hardware raid support. I could of got a RAID controller but I'm using a pretty much maxed out 2012 motherboard and I don't have a slot for one?

And finally, with you knowing all my options how would you set things up? Would you have the OS on the SSD with no RAID0 and put games on the RAID disk like I'm currently doing? Or the OS on RAID0 with games as well or on the non-RAID SSD.. or even buy another identical drive and have two storage pools set up in RAID0 and have games and OS on separate drive that are both in software RAID0/storage pools? I know this is long, don't feel you need to answer everything, any help is appreciated *Cool

:)

ASCiiDiTY, Aug 18, 2019
  2. JGT
    jgt Win User

Storages Spaces Configuration

I think I found the solution. It seems that there is a BUG in Storage Spaces. If you select Parity you cannot use the ReFS file system. The setup incorrectly allows you to select the ReFS file system after selecting Parity and then bombs out with the error
    reported in my last post.

Through this process of starting down the Storage Spaces function two big road blocks for me were:

• The use of a RAID card. It seems that you cannot have any implementation, e.g. software or hardware, of RAID on the system if you want to use Storage Spaces on that system.
    • If you want to use Parity you cannot use the ReFS file system.
    Hopefully MS will fix the above issues.

3. Jim-L Win User
    Unable to format software RAID created using Storage Spaces or Dynamic Disk: The parameter is inccorect

Since upgrading to Windows 10, I'm unable to create software RAID-0 or RAID-1 using either Storage Spaces or Dynamic Disk. I can create the partition just fine, but formatting the partition will fail with an error: "The parameter is incorrect."

Formatting using Storage Manager, diskpart or format doesn't make any difference.

Jim-L, Aug 18, 2019
  4. Storage Spaces/Software Raid | What Are My Best Options?

Best performance: Windows 10 software striping vs. storage spaces simple

Looking to squeeze a bit more speed out of my development PC for test VMs without necessarily switching to hardware RAID. I've got two identical 2TB SATA-3 data drives (OS is on SSD) so I could rebuild as a Windows 10 striped disk (using disk manager) or create a Windows 10 storage pool with a simple space.

Any suggestions for which would give the best performance? I've always understood that Windows software RAID was pretty poor (although probably better than non-striped) but that was compared to hardware RAID. Can't find much which compares software RAID to storage spaces.

munrobasher, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

Storage Spaces/Software Raid | What Are My Best Options?

1. Storage Spaces/Software Raid | What Are My Best Options? - Similar Threads - Storage Spaces Software

2. Raid 10, windows storage space error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Raid 10, windows storage space error: HI,I built a "software" raid 10 using this howto :I had a power outage, and , I can't access it anymore...It seems not having any problems, expect I don't have the "disk" mounted in windows.I have a space alert, but no way to repair it from windows:Thanks a lot....
  3. Storage spaces raid 0

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage spaces raid 0: have 5 disks with 18TB so made a storage space of 81TB but only allowed to use 63 TB as NTFS. 64TB fails. whats wrong ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-spaces-raid-0/84616e8c-ac97-462e-8692-df76beb92272
  4. Storage spaces raid 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage spaces raid 0: have 5 disks with 18TB so made a storage space of 81TB but only allowed to use 63 TB as NTFS. 64TB fails. whats wrong ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-spaces-raid-0/84616e8c-ac97-462e-8692-df76beb92272
  5. Storage spaces raid 0

6. Software Storage Space Suggestion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Software Storage Space Suggestion: There should always be any forms of media and visual demonstrations shown posted on up on this type of site as well as on the types of sites for all of the types of techno companies existing in the world itself in general that actually work in the ways that this type does in...
  7. Software Storage Space Suggestion

Software Storage Space Suggestion: There should always be any forms of media and visual demonstrations shown posted on up on this type of site as well as on the types of sites for all of the types of techno companies existing in the world itself in general that actually work in the ways that this type does in...
  8. Storage Space on RAID not available

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Space on RAID not available: Windows 10 pro, just installed. Version 20H2. (Updates not yet started.) Two RAID 1 arrays created in BIOS MB: X570 AORUS Ultra, BIOS date Dec. 2019 I just installed Win10 Pro on the first RAID 1 (two M.2 drives). Windows cannot see the larger RAID 1 (SATA) I'd planned to use...
  9. Onboard Raid with Intel RST or Storage Spaces?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onboard Raid with Intel RST or Storage Spaces?: I've been looking everywhere and can't find any good info on this. I have an Asus ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA motherboard with raid on it. I am planning on setting up a raid 1 between two 14TB WD Ultrastar drives. Would I be better off setting it up via the bios and use Intel RST...
  10. Re-installing Windows with RAID/Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Re-installing Windows with RAID/Storage Spaces: On my personal file server PC, I have two 1TB drives that are configured in Windows Storage Spaces to be I'm assuming a RAID1 array. Basically my two 1TB drives show up as one 1TB drive. Eventually I am going to replace Windows 10 with Server 2016 (which is on a separate SSD)...