Windows 10: Storage Spaces with hard drives of different size

Discus and support Storage Spaces with hard drives of different size in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have read a lot about storage spaces and I do use it since it has been available to bundle my hard drives. Now I want to reduce the amount of drives,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sven Erik Matzen, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Storage Spaces with hard drives of different size

I have read a lot about storage spaces and I do use it since it has been available to bundle my hard drives. Now I want to reduce the amount of drives, but I'm not sure whether I need to do it all at once creating a new pool with a new drive and moive the files or if I could simple replace 3 of my 3 TB drives with one 10 TB drive.

Currently I have 7 hard drives with 3 TB capacity and 1 drive with 4 TB capacity.

I did create 1 pool with 1 logical drive on it.

My plan is to migrate that 8-drive-pool to a 3-drive-pool 3x 10 TB => 20 TB usable space for files by adding a 10 TB drive, remove a 3 TB drive, remove the next 3 TB drive, etc.

But I'm not sure whether Windows will allow me to remove 3 of the 3TB drives after adding a 10 TB drive - currently it's notz showing the "Prepare for removal" link ... I think, because there is less than 3 TB free space in that pool.

:)

Sven Erik Matzen, Apr 18, 2020

2. Hard Drive Storage

I have a 500Gb Hard Drive, running Windows 10 Pro version 1909. My c drive is nearly full, I have checked every area on the pc and nothing adds up to the 486Gb I'm supposed to have available. I have gone to Settings > System > Storage - it shows that 401Gb
    is being taken up by Apps and features but when I click on this and show the list of installed apps with their sizes, I have added up the entire list and it comes to 25Gb total. It doesn't show what's eating up the rest of the 400Gb of space. I have deleted
    everything I can and have only been able to free up 11Gb so far so my c drive is still showing red. At this point is the only other step to reload the pc, or does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be and how to fix?

Thanks,

Heather

Heather Clemons, Apr 18, 2020
  3. j_007_k Win User
    Storage Spaces not showing increased size..

Hello, Size was increased via storage spaces. I was able to fix the issue. It seems like size increase via storange spaces is not working. I manually have to reboot and then use following command to show the correct size.

C:\ > DISKPART

DISKPART> List Volume

DISKPART> select volume # (this is the number of the volume listed by the above ‘List Volume’ command)

DISKPART> extend filesystem

DISKPART> exit

This fixes the storage pool to show the correct size. But its really annoying to do that every time you increase the size of the pool.

Thanks

j_007_k, Apr 18, 2020
  4. 333t Win User

Storage Spaces with hard drives of different size

How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Could someone list the steps involved in replacing a bad drive from a Windows 10 storage spaces pool? I cannot find any info on the Microsoft support site that is specific to Windows 10. Also, could you list the steps to remove a 'good' drive and replace
    it with another drive if the process is different?

Thema:

Storage Spaces with hard drives of different size

1. Storage Spaces with hard drives of different size - Similar Threads - Storage Spaces hard

2. How to combine hard drives of different sizes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to combine hard drives of different sizes?: HiI have a myriad of hard drives accumulated over the years, of sizes: 2 of 1TB, 1 of 2TB, 2 of 4TB.The optimal setup would be using 3 drives of 4TB in RAID5, using a spanned drive of the 1TB and 2TB drives.Is that possible somehow?I'm using build 23493 of windows 11...
  3. How to combine hard drives of different sizes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to combine hard drives of different sizes?: HiI have a myriad of hard drives accumulated over the years, of sizes: 2 of 1TB, 1 of 2TB, 2 of 4TB.The optimal setup would be using 3 drives of 4TB in RAID5, using a spanned drive of the 1TB and 2TB drives.Is that possible somehow?I'm using build 23493 of windows 11...
  4. Storage size of C Drive not matching actual storage space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage size of C Drive not matching actual storage space: I extended my C Drive from 235 GB to ~476 GB using Disk Management; however, most things are still showing 235 GB and I am still limited by that smaller size storage space. The SSD inside should be a 512. I am using a new Lenovo ThinkBookI have run Disk Optimization, a BIOS...
  5. Storage size of C Drive not matching actual storage space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage size of C Drive not matching actual storage space: I extended my C Drive from 235 GB to ~476 GB using Disk Management; however, most things are still showing 235 GB and I am still limited by that smaller size storage space. The SSD inside should be a 512. I am using a new Lenovo ThinkBookI have run Disk Optimization, a BIOS...
  6. OneDrive Using Hard Drive Storage Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Using Hard Drive Storage Space: Why is OneDrive taking up space on my hard drive? The storage info says OneDrive is using 33 GB. I needed a new computer and bought one a few months ago. Had to get one with 128 GB because computers were sold out everywhere. I figured that since I have OneDrive, only the apps...
  7. FILE SIZE AND HARD DRIVE SPACE, NOT SHOWN?

FILE SIZE AND HARD DRIVE SPACE, NOT SHOWN?: IN WINDOWS 10, Why is it so hard to find out what files are folders are taking up too much space, without clicking on 'properties' to check? I am familiar with DOS, since the 1980's where every file showed the size, and it was easy to see. In Win10 I have learned to...
  8. Using Storage Spaces of drives with different SATA connections

Using Storage Spaces of drives with different SATA connections: Hi We have two 1Tb discs setup as a mirrored pool providing 1Tb of usable storage - it is all working as expected. The two discs are both SATA 3Gb/s. We are considering purchasing two larger SATA 6Gb/s discs and moving the pool, this seems easy enough to do The...
  9. External Hard Drive Not Showing Correct Storage Size?

External Hard Drive Not Showing Correct Storage Size?: So I recently moved all the data from an external hard drive to my laptop so I could install windows on it and fix my (other) laptop. It worked, I fixed it all is fine except one thing. I can't move everything back to that hard drive. I cleared everything on it from the...
  10. Hard drive storage space

Hard drive storage space: What is the maximum amount of storage space Windows 10 can recognize \ utilize? I am setting up external hard drives for multiple storage locations and I want to know what the limit is that windows can recognize and use at any given time. I contacted support and was told the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. storage spaces across different sized drives