Windows 10: Storage Temporary Files taking up much more space than individual files

Discus and support Storage Temporary Files taking up much more space than individual files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In my "Storage usage" setting, it states I have 55.4 GB of "Temporary files." When I open "Temporary files" it allows me to only remove 702 MB of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RobMcc1, Jun 6, 2019.

1. RobMcc1 Win User

Storage Temporary Files taking up much more space than individual files

In my "Storage usage" setting, it states I have 55.4 GB of "Temporary files." When I open "Temporary files" it allows me to only remove 702 MB of files. I would like to remove all 55.4 GB and I don't see how I can do it. Is there a way to manually delete this massive amount of storage space that it is taking up?

:)

RobMcc1, Jun 6, 2019
  2. Ferdz Amp Win User

Unable to delete temporary files

Hi Sumit,

Looks like you are running out of storage space, let's walk you through the steps of running
    Disc cleanup for your Windows 10 device.

To delete temporary files, kindly follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Disc cleanup and press Enter.
    • Under Files to delete, select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    • Select OK.

If you need to free up more space, you can also delete system files:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Disc cleanup and press Enter.
    • In Disk cleanup, select Clean up system files.
    • Select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    • Select OK.

If the suggestions above didn't work, feel free to post back so we can further troubleshoot.

Ferdz Amp, Jun 6, 2019
  3. Drillling Win User
    Unusual Option for Removal of Temporary Files for System/Setting/Storage/This PC/Temporary Files

Hello,

I have Windows 10 version 1803 on HP Spectre x360 laptop with a SSD drive, 232 GB.

I have 170 GB of free space. There are no saved documents, pictures or videos.

I have only installed apps and software installed when I purchased the laptop.

My question is:

When I go to Windows Setting, select System, select Storage, select Local Storage/This PC, Storage Usage displays, select Temporary Files showing 423 MB from the selections offered.

Upon selection for Temporary Files, it opens - shows listings for the Remove Temporary Files.

Two particular selections/options to remove files concern me.

These are:

Deletes all system restore points - 4.28 GB

Compress your OD drive - 13.7 GB

These two are not checked for removal, rather they are highlighted in White.

Why are these particular two items are being displayed?

Will these eventually disappear or remain forever?

Any suggestions, recommendations or advice to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Drillling, Jun 6, 2019
  4. JoKKa Win User

Unable to Delete Temporary Files in my Windows 10 pc

Changing the Virtual memory settings had no impact on being able to remove the Temporary files listed.

It seems there's another way to get at the Temporary files that is in Windows 10 (I'm using 10.0.15063). From the Windows menu, Settings->System->Select the Storage item from the left. Under Local storage, click the drive you want (most likely labeled
    My Computer on the C drive). This takes you to a list of file groups sorted by how much space it occupies. Find the Temporary files one and click it. This takes you to a checkbox list of items, one of which is Temporary files. Check it (and any others
    you want) and click the Remove files button.

After this I cleared up almost 500GB of space. Oddly (or maybe not), the size of the Temporary files from this was larger than the one reported by Disk Cleanup.

JoKKa, Jun 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Storage Temporary Files taking up much more space than individual files - Similar Threads - Storage Temporary Files

2. How is it possible that my System files can take up more than 1 TB storage space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How is it possible that my System files can take up more than 1 TB storage space?: How is it possible that my System files can take up more than 1 TB storage space? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-is-it-possible-that-my-system-files-can-take/322ad47a-2a1d-49ae-8316-74ba51d5d668
  3. Files taking up more space than they should.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files taking up more space than they should.: So when i download files, or pick files from my old computer to the one i am using now, the files take up more space than they should, and my disk storage seemingly keeps decreasing alone, the problem seems to be fixed when i delete the file, however the extra storage space...
  4. Files taking up more space than they should.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files taking up more space than they should.: So when i download files, or pick files from my old computer to the one i am using now, the files take up more space than they should, and my disk storage seemingly keeps decreasing alone, the problem seems to be fixed when i delete the file, however the extra storage space...
  5. System Files taking up too much space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Files taking up too much space: I've been having storage issues and I checked my system files. Asked a few people and searched it on web and found out that 70GB is too much. I don't know what seems to be the problem since Windows file isn't that huge. How do I fix this?...
  6. Systen Files taking up too much space

Systen Files taking up too much space: I've been having storage issues and I checked my system files. Asked a few people and searched it on web and found out that 70GB is too much. I don't know what seems to be the problem since Windows file isn't that huge. How do I fix this?...
  7. Temporary files eating up 20gb+ of storage space??

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Temporary files eating up 20gb+ of storage space??: Temporary files is eating up 20gb+ of storage on my device but when I go to it, it doesn't let me free up the space, can someone help? [ATTACH][ATTACH] I'm not low on storage or anything but I'd like to know why that suddenly took up so much space on my hard drive....
  8. Temporary Files is taking up 12gb of space but not really

Temporary Files is taking up 12gb of space but not really: So if I go to my storage settings, it says that Temporary Files are taking up 12gb of space. However when I click on 'Temporary Files', it shows that my downloads take up 6gb of space and the rest take up about 500mb of space. What is taking up the remaining 4.5gb? I...
  9. 'Other' files taking up storage space

'Other' files taking up storage space: Alright, so I have a Windows 10 laptop with 29.1 gigabytes on the C drive. Now, sometimes when I go to settings, system, storage, and see how much space's taken up by the system files, sometimes it'll say about 17 GB while other times it'll say 19 GB. Because the system files...
  10. Log files taking up too much space

Log files taking up too much space: I recently noticed that the used space of my disk was constantly increasing. After poking around a bit, I found that the windows/Temp folder had tens of thousands of files named 'AppXDeploymentServer_'+long string of numbers and letters+.evtx. Each of these files is 5188 KB....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 1903 my temporary files takes space