Windows 10: Storage usage different than Storage in explorer

Discus and support Storage usage different than Storage in explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I really need help with this problem I am having that I cannot find anyone else that has the same problem. So on the Storage free in the Settings. it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jonathanpecany, May 17, 2020.

1. Storage usage different than Storage in explorer

I really need help with this problem I am having that I cannot find anyone else that has the same problem. So on the Storage free in the Settings. it says I have a lot less, this actually effects windows 10 stores downloads and updates. On the storage on the Windows explorer File Manager it says I have a lot more. I'll include screenshots below.

Storage usage different than Storage in explorer 9a82a773-4c0a-46fa-8ea8-1fc4e972538e?upload=true.png

As you can see here, The one in settings says I have 0 bytes free while file manager says I have over 9 Gbs. Plus the settings says I have 118 GBs too, is that a bug/glitch as well or is it suppose to be a little more, I am not too sure.

I tried looking through the internet for an answer but no one seems to have the same problem, similar ones such as the storage in Settings saying they have more but nothing like my problem. I did try those methods as well.

I also have errors for my hard drive that it says I need to fix but I don't know how, I added this on because I feel as if that might be one of the reasons.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention about my external hard drive, I have an external hard drive with games from the windows 10 store, could that possibly be adding up all the games file sizes. Windows 10 has a lot of bugs in it a lot, but that is what I am use to.

:)

jonathanpecany, May 17, 2020

2. Windows 10 - settings - storage usage - other?

Hi Steve,

It's possible that some folders are not showing under the Storage usage >
    Others since they are hidden. Though they are hidden, the space that they are taking will still be counted under
    Storage usage > Others. You'll have to identify what files and folder are hidden with the steps below:

• Type hidden in Cortana, the Windows search bar or your task bar.
    • Select Show hidden files and folders from the result.
    • Go to View tab.
    • Enable the Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    • Hit Apply, then click OK.

Once you're done with these steps, try checking the Storage usage again and see if it will match.

Let us know if it addressed your concern.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, May 17, 2020
  3. Storage Problem

Hi,

It's possible that the 346GB of space that you're seeing under the Apps & games window refers to the available space of the selected drive and not the actual usage. To confirm this information, we suggest that you check the total
    usage through the Storage usage screen instead. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Click the Start menu or Windows icon.
    • Select the gear icon or Settings.
    • Select System > Storage.
    • Under Choose a drive to see what's taking up space, select
      This PC (Drive letter)
    • Under Apps & games, check if the space usage exceeds the estimate 140GB of space.

Let us know should you need further assistance.

Darwin Dim, May 17, 2020
  4. weamish Win User

Storage usage different than Storage in explorer

storage usage

Trying to determine which apps are using the most storage space, but Storage Usage never manages to load - throbbers keep throbbing indefinitely. Any trick to getting this to load? Thanks! ...Steve

weamish, May 17, 2020
Thema:

Storage usage different than Storage in explorer

1. Storage usage different than Storage in explorer - Similar Threads - Storage usage different

2. Maxed out storage storage device usage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Maxed out storage storage device usage: A bit of an update to my last question posted in late July https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/disk-usage-maxed-on-maxone-drive/1a0389b4-24b2-4e26-a173-6adf7791d02d read this for more details, I've tried everything I can think of, short of...
  3. Maxed out storage storage device usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maxed out storage storage device usage: A bit of an update to my last question posted in late July https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/disk-usage-maxed-on-maxone-drive/1a0389b4-24b2-4e26-a173-6adf7791d02d read this for more details, I've tried everything I can think of, short of...
  4. Maxed out storage storage device usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. task manager and settings show different storage capacity than file explorer.

task manager and settings show different storage capacity than file explorer.: I don't know the exact specs of this as i didn't buy this laptop but when i checked its storage it was different on my file explorer .searched on google and didn't find anyone else with the same problem. i have windows version 20H2OS build 19042,1052...
  6. freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces

freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces: Hi there, I switched from winbtrfs to windows storage spaces. I have 4 drives for them and firstly attached 2 drives, copied data to it and then attached the other 2 drives and optimized the storage to equal the storage usage over the 4 drives. Unfortunately the blocks...
  7. Inexplicable Storage usage

Inexplicable Storage usage: I noticed that my 1TB HDD was becoming alarmingly filled up. A short time ago, it was down to 80Gb free so I started uninstalling all games I wasn't playing. I even went through and uninstalled old programs I never use anymore in the Apps and Features. This brought my...
  8. Why does Storage Spaces show a different used capacity than Explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does Storage Spaces show a different used capacity than Explorer?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Clinqk [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e45ft8/why_does_storage_spaces_show_a_different_used/
  9. storage usage

storage usage: reserved storage usage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-usage/c344f71c-b28a-4e6a-a287-5dede390fe4c"
  10. Temporary files in storage usage says different number than the actual one.

Temporary files in storage usage says different number than the actual one.: Hello guys, When I try to delete the temporary files that is show in the storage usage window, it says that the temporary files is 5GB, but when I click on it and try to delete them, it says only 55 MB is available to delete, so what about the rest of the 5GB why I can't...