Windows 10: Storage Utilization Suggestion, new PC with SSD & HDD

Discus and support Storage Utilization Suggestion, new PC with SSD & HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently purchased a new Dell XPS 8930 with a 256gb SSD and 2tb HDD. What would be the best recommendation to utilize these effectively. I've yet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jim and Barb, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Storage Utilization Suggestion, new PC with SSD & HDD

I recently purchased a new Dell XPS 8930 with a 256gb SSD and 2tb HDD.

What would be the best recommendation to utilize these effectively.

I've yet to unbox this Desktop PC as I want to research all best solutions before I move data from old PC and/or re-install software.

I assume the Windows 10 Pro will be installed on the SSD as the primary C: drive.

I also assume the HDD will merely be treated as a secondary drive (e..g., not set as a default data drive).

Should I set the HDD as a data drive (e.g., default folder for Documents, Pictures, Downloads etc.) ?

If so, what is the best way to do this (e.g., via settings/storage menu or via folder properties move to new location) ?

Will any of this cause issues with OneDrive syncing ?

Should all new software installs be set up on the HDD even though new software entries will end up in the registry file on the SSD drive C ?

FYI - I do NOT have any storage shortage issues... I currently only utilize just under 100gb on my old PC, so in reality I could run everything on SSD, but preventing writes to SSD will extend its life.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:)

Jim and Barb, Mar 16, 2019
  2. techguy31 Win User

64Gb SSD for OS or 2Tb HDD for storage ?!

I suggest that you get the 2tb for storage. SSDs are only useful if you want to boot things fast like OS and programs. I actually suggest you get both if you have that many movies.

techguy31, Mar 16, 2019
  3. Adæ Win User
    New pc build ssd and hdd

I recently finish to build my gaming system

and instead get a HDD

I choose a secondary SSD for overall performance vs a regular HDD

and the SSD have other benefits compare to a HDD.!

my primary SSD 111GB I have the OS and the game I play everyday

my secondary M2 SSD 256GB I have my backup and one more game

my primary SSD still have 37,8GB free space

my secondary SSD still have 150GB free space

why I choose an SSD for my secondary hard drive?

because the price was reasonable and plus I have a M2 SSD port on my motherboard

and I never run out for space

and obviously because the SSD is faster and doesn't produce heat like a HDD does

I used to use a 500GB HDD in my old build

and I remember when I defrag the HDD it take at least 1 hour

the SSD doesn't have to be defrag and I love it...!!!!

4. Storage Utilization Suggestion, new PC with SSD & HDD

SSD for new Windows, keeping files and programs on HDD

Both options you gave concern re-installing applications.

Option I suggest: if the space taken up (used) on your current hard disk drive is LESS than the the space you will have available on your new SSD (formatted size), utilize some third party partitioning tool to shrink the partition to minimal size (under
    the size of the SSD) and then use another tool to make an image of that partition or clone that partition onto the SSD and then take out the HDD and see if everything is working properly on your SSD. Once you have determined that, if you want the extra space
    the HDD will grant you, put it back in and format it /use it.

Shenan Stanley, Mar 16, 2019
Thema:

Storage Utilization Suggestion, new PC with SSD & HDD

1. Storage Utilization Suggestion, new PC with SSD & HDD - Similar Threads - Storage Utilization Suggestion

2. Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive: Hello, I'm using an HP Elitebook 840 G3, and my SSD has been very slow lately. My PC takes about a minute and a half to boot, and it started to lag, so I bought a new drive that is an HDD, and I want to move everything from the SSD to it, including users folder and the other...
  3. Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive: Hello, I'm using an HP Elitebook 840 G3, and my SSD has been very slow lately. My PC takes about a minute and a half to boot, and it started to lag, so I bought a new drive that is an HDD, and I want to move everything from the SSD to it, including users folder and the other...
  4. Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. utilization of a ssd and ext. hdd in similitude

utilization of a ssd and ext. hdd in similitude: Hello and Radiant Health to All! Is it possible to run an ap aps from my internal ssd and utilize the correlated- applicable data to feed the active ap from my external hdd ? How? Can two separate drives work in accordance with each other to achieve the desired...
  6. Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

Storage setup with a SSD and HDD: Hi I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and storage I have 1TB cloud storage with 365 and also updated windows and drivers. I have not transferred any data from my old pc...
  7. Storage pool with hdd and ssd

Storage pool with hdd and ssd: Hello I have made a what I think is a pretty sick gaming pc but its slow because of the hdd and I don't have any ssds big enough to suit my needs so I'm wondering if I can make a storage pool that will have the os on the ssd as well as my games that I use the most on there...
  8. Installing Windows 10 on a brand new laptop with SSD and HDD storage

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 on a brand new laptop with SSD and HDD storage: I bought a new laptop that has an HDD and an SSD, the laptop has no Windows pre installed (it's free DOS) and I want to install Windows 10 on it. My question is, how to install the windows on the SSD and not the HDD? I mean, on the screen that shows "where do you want to...
  9. New PC with SSD and HDD setup

New PC with SSD and HDD setup: I'm having issues completing my environment setup on my Dell XPS 8930 desktop computer. As mentioned in the subject line, my PC has both an SSD and HDD. The operating system (Windows 10 Pro) is on the SSD as Drive C. The HDD is 2tb and I plan to use this for my user data....
  10. New pc build ssd and hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New pc build ssd and hdd: Hello, I am planning a brand new build and would like to install a 120gb ssd as my boot disk, and a 1Tb for pretty much everything else. What is the best way to go about this? And how do I make the hdd the default for downloads, storage, etc. This will be a clean, new...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. xps 8930 make recognized ssd primary & hdd storage