Windows 10: StorageDevicePolicies and UASP

Discus and support StorageDevicePolicies and UASP in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Why do versions of Windows above 8.0 not respect the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\StorageDevicePolicies\WriteProtect registry entry for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nick Harmer, Jul 11, 2018.

1. StorageDevicePolicies and UASP

Why do versions of Windows above 8.0 not respect the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\StorageDevicePolicies\WriteProtect registry entry for devices which use the USB-Attached-SCSI driver?

When connecting a SATA drive through an ASMT 2115 adapter, I only get write-blocking if I connect it through a hub (the Device Instance Path starts USBSTOR\\). If I connect the same drive through the same adapter directly to a port on the motherboard, it doesn't write-block (the Device Instance Path starts SCSI\\).

Is there any way to work around this?

Also, why does it not work the same for both drivers?

Regards

Nick Harmer

:)

Nick Harmer, Jul 11, 2018
  2. btarunr Win User

StarTech Announces New UASP-supported USB 3.0 Products

StarTech.com, a leading manufacturer of hard-to-find connectivity parts, has announced the availability of UASP-supported USB 3.0 storage products, which make it easy for IT professionals and prosumers to take advantage of the performance capability of Solid State storage (SSDs), through the fastest USB 3.0 transfer speeds available. UASP, which stands for USB Attached SCSI Protocol, is a protocol that was introduced by the USB Implementers Forum which provides significantly faster performance than a traditional USB 3.0 connection which uses the BOT (Bulk Only Transport).

Users of Windows 8, Mac OSX (10.8 or above), and Linux can all benefit from UASP's improved performance. In testing, UASP performs with a 70% faster read speed and 40% faster write speed over traditional USB 3.0 at peak performance. At the same peak in testing UASP also shows an 80% reduction in required processor resources. "UASP-supported USB 3.0 will become one of the most widely accepted data transfer interfaces, in the years to come" said Juliet Wei, Senior Product Manager for StarTech.com's Data Storage and Hard Drive Accessories product line. "The UASP products we've released to date offer IT professionals and prosumers a cost-effective way to get the most performance from their external USB 3.0 mass storage devices, especially when used with Solid State or hybrid drives."

StorageDevicePolicies and UASP 28a_thm.jpg

StarTech.com UASP-compatible products include:

Hard Drive Docks:
    • USB 3.0 SATA III Hard Drive Docking Station with UASP (SKU: SDOCKU33BV) MSRP: £44.20 (GBP exc. VAT) in the UK
    • USB 3.0 Dual SATA III Hard Drive Docking Station with USB Hub, UASP support and Fan (SKU: SDOCK2U33HFB) MSRP: £108.79 (GBP exc. VAT) in the UK
    Hard Drive Enclosures:
    • 2.5" USB 3.0 SATA III SSD/HDD Drive Enclosure (SKU: S2510BMU33) MSRP: £23.99 (GBP exc. VAT) in the UK
    • 2.5" Aluminum USB 3.0 SATA III Hard Drive Enclosure w/ UASP - Height up to 12.5mm (SKU:S2510SM12U33 ) MSRP: £28.50 (GBP exc. VAT) in the UK
    • 3.5" USB 3.0 External SATA III Hard Drive Enclosure with UASP (SKU: S3510BMU33) MSRP: £42.99 (GBP exc. VAT) in the UK
    • 3.5" USB 3.0 & eSATA External SATA III Hard Drive Enclosure with UASP - Trayless (SKU: S3510BMU33ET) MSRP: £52.00 (GBP exc. VAT) in the UK
    • USB 3.0/eSATA Dual 3.5" SATA III Hard Drive External RAID Enclosure w/ UASP and Fan (SKU: S3520BU33ER) MSRP: £94.7 (GBP exc. VAT) in the UK
    StarTech.com's UASP-compatible products are available from leading technology resellers including Insight, Amazon.co.uk and Dabs and are also distributed by Enta, Ingram Micro and Exertis Micro-P.

btarunr, Jul 11, 2018
  3. Windows 10 and UASP Support for USB 3.0

Can you post your current setup? UASP is highly dependent on hardware support, your system won't be able to utilize it if your hardware doesn't support UASP even if you are running a supported OS. Does your Storage Controllers tab in Device Manager show
    SCSI after inserting your UASP-enabled device?

cioredulla, Jul 11, 2018
  4. JayPawar Win User

StorageDevicePolicies and UASP

No UASP Driver in Windows 10??

So I recently installed Windows 10 to get that sweet usb uasp 3.0 spec goodness (This was the only reason I upgraded). With native support, I thought that nothing could go wrong. Alas, every other part
    of the upgrade went great BUT for the UASP driver, which appears to be nonexistent. I checked device manager first and went under storage controllers and there is no UAS driver, for whatever reason. Sure enough, when I run a speed test on my sandisk extreme
    usb 3.0 flash drive with UASP support, the speed is unchanged from my windows 7 days. What in the world is going on??
    StorageDevicePolicies and UASP 6e5d7bc7-a1ca-4d82-a91e-425238a39642.jpg

Above is an illustration of what I mean. Notice the distinct lack of a UAS driver.

JayPawar, Jul 11, 2018
Thema:

StorageDevicePolicies and UASP

1. StorageDevicePolicies and UASP - Similar Threads - StorageDevicePolicies UASP

2. UASP Not Found In Device Manager? Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UASP Not Found In Device Manager? Windows 10: I have a Surface Pro 7, running Windows 10. It has a USB c 3.1 gen 2 port, yet i don't see any indication that UASP is supported? Here is what's under Storage Controllers: Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller Standard NVM Express Controller Universal Serial Bus...
  3. Best method for USB write blocking on Windows 10? StorageDevicePolicies/WriteProtect no...

Best method for USB write blocking on Windows 10? StorageDevicePolicies/WriteProtect no...: One thing I do in Windows 7 all the time, is turn USB write blocking on and off. I do this with a shell command that sets this registry toggle on and off: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies\WriteProtect As I understand it, this is...
  4. USB 3 - Windows check if UASP enabled

USB 3 - Windows check if UASP enabled: Hi there Is it possible to find out in Windows if UASP on USB 3 ports are enabled -- On Linux it's easy - simply type lsusb and if a device shows driver=UAS anywhere then it's working Any way in Windows to see if it's enabled. The reason is that when using external...
  5. No UASP Driver in Windows 10??

No UASP Driver in Windows 10??: So I recently installed Windows 10 to get that sweet usb uasp 3.0 spec goodness (This was the only reason I upgraded). With native support, I thought that nothing could go wrong. Alas, every other part of the upgrade went great BUT for the UASP driver, which appears to be...
  6. Enabling UASP under Windows 10?

Enabling UASP under Windows 10?: As I understand it, Windows 10 includes native support for the USB Attached SCSI Protocol (UASP). Therefore, if all hardware involved is capable of UASP, it will be enabled by default. I recently acquired a Corsair Voyager GTX USB 3.0 flash drive. It is a cool piece of...
  7. Disable UASP in Windows 10?

Disable UASP in Windows 10?: Is there a way to disable UASP support in Windows 10 over USB, and force BOT mode? I'm having lots of issues with my external enclosures that support UASP since moving to my new PC with Windows 10, and I'm trying to troubleshoot. A post I read hints that maybe UASP is behind...