Windows 10: Stored Photo Files Give Darker Images with Time

Discus and support Stored Photo Files Give Darker Images with Time in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I store photo files jpg in a folder in Windows 10. Over a period of months, the photos darken. After a few years they show up almost black. My display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jaybryson, Mar 27, 2020.

1. jaybryson Win User

Stored Photo Files Give Darker Images with Time

I store photo files jpg in a folder in Windows 10. Over a period of months, the photos darken. After a few years they show up almost black. My display is calibrated, and recently transferred photos look normal. How can I prevent this? *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

:)

jaybryson, Mar 27, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

Increase image file upload size cap

that's a good idea

W1zzard, Mar 27, 2020
  3. Aquinus Win User
    Increase image file upload size cap

Okay, first off, people need to learn to calm down. That includes the OP and everyone replying. I would consider this a very legitimate concern he raises and I'll explain why and what I would suggest to fix it to address all the concerns brought up.

I see three sides to this.
    • OneMoar wants to upload bigger files. Generally speaking, most users are lazy so this is a valid concern from a usability standpoint. While I do believe there should be an upload limit, there should be a separate storage limit.
    • Concern with bandwidth: I suspect that uploading images is a relatively small amount of bandwidth and that serving up said images is much more costly. So that would put emphasis on getting not putting if bandwidth is a concern.
    • Storage, a very real concern because a lot of images adds up quickly which adds a need to efficiently store said images.
    So my suggestion (assuming W1zz wanted to do this out of kindness of his heart,) is this:
    • Increase upload limit to 10-20MB max.
    • Institute a storage limit of 2-5MB max.
    • Use PHP's GD library to convert uploaded images to JPEG or PNG.
      • PNGs tend to look nicer than JPEGs, but use more space. Probably preferable for smaller images or images requiring transparency.
      • JPEG tends to be very flexible when it comes to quality and the amount of compression. PHP's GD lib gives you control over this.
    So long as the image is uploaded in a format GD can read which includes most commonly used formats, it may not be unrealistic to re-store it in a different format. It's also not unrealistic to use GD to scale the image as well.

I've used GD before and it's relatively easy to use and is relatively quick with respect to performance. I would be willing to write up some examples with respect to how to do it if it were welcomed.

Side note: I see a watermark, GD might be getting used already so this might not be a stretch if the CPU cycles are there to spare.

Aquinus, Mar 27, 2020
  4. robinpe Win User

Missing apps: Store, People, Photos, Games & Camera on upgrading to 10

Thanks for replying spunk. That's the 'alphabetical' list I was referring to, none of these apps are in that 'All apps' list. Any more suggestions?

robinpe, Mar 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Stored Photo Files Give Darker Images with Time - Similar Threads - Stored Photo Files

2. Photos App in Windows 11 23H2 display images darker than the other app.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos App in Windows 11 23H2 display images darker than the other app.: Hi, Photos App in Windows 11 23H2 displays images darker than the other app. Does anyone know how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-in-windows-11-23h2-display-images/f69c7b49-0990-4540-99e4-6cb38a1c4361
  3. Photos App in Windows 11 23H2 display images darker than the other app.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos App in Windows 11 23H2 display images darker than the other app.: Hi, Photos App in Windows 11 23H2 displays images darker than the other app. Does anyone know how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-in-windows-11-23h2-display-images/f69c7b49-0990-4540-99e4-6cb38a1c4361
  4. Where are photo app images stored?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where are photo app images stored?: Seems like, for me, it is difficult to find where the photo app stores images. I know there is a Pictures folder, but I often can't seem to find photos in that folder or its sub-folders. File info for photos is blank. I look at OneDrive and locally on my Surface but shouldn't...
  5. Where are photo app images stored?

Where are photo app images stored?: Seems like, for me, it is difficult to find where the photo app stores images. I know there is a Pictures folder, but I often can't seem to find photos in that folder or its sub-folders. File info for photos is blank. I look at OneDrive and locally on my Surface but shouldn't...
  6. Windows Photo Viewer displays darker images / missing brightness

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Photo Viewer displays darker images / missing brightness: ...the same problem here ; it solves only by uninstall and delete the manufacturers monitor-driver via device manager .win10 22h2 , lenovo p24h10 okay , nothing graphical or else seems to suffer without that driver , i will stay with this way with the WPV ....
  7. Windows Photo Viewer displays darker images / missing brightness

Windows Photo Viewer displays darker images / missing brightness: ...the same problem here ; it solves only by uninstall and delete the manufacturers monitor-driver via device manager .win10 22h2 , lenovo p24h10 okay , nothing graphical or else seems to suffer without that driver , i will stay with this way with the WPV ....
  8. Windows Photo Viewer displays darker images / missing brightness

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Where are the codecs stored for image files

in Windows 10 Support
    Where are the codecs stored for image files: Since Windows 7 support ended on January 14th I've upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I've got a lot of image files - JPEG, TIFF, Photoshop and Nikon raw files (file extension .NEF). My camera shoots both JPEG and NEF at the same time - so there are two files for every shot. To...
  10. Picture images for photos in file disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Picture images for photos in file disappeared: After the last Windows 10 Update all my photo images disappeared from my photo files. Now there are just image codes. How do I get the photo images back for those files?...