Windows 10: Storing data on Drive C, versus Drive D

Discus and support Storing data on Drive C, versus Drive D in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 1.22GB of 118GB available on the C Drive of my 2016 HP laptop, where everything gets stored by default. So pretty close to maxed out. But my D... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by edgrr, Jul 20, 2019.

1. edgrr Win User

Storing data on Drive C, versus Drive D

I have 1.22GB of 118GB available on the C Drive of my 2016 HP laptop, where everything gets stored by default. So pretty close to maxed out. But my D Drive has 854GB of 918GB available.
    How can I shift everything to the D Drive? Could making such change cause the laptop to malfunction or have some kind of problem?
    Also, why can't I uninstall Microsoft Edge if I never intend to use it? Same goes for games, XBox and a few other programs that came pre-installed?

As you can see, I'm not tech savvy, far from it. Appreciate any and all commentsStoring data on Drive C, versus Drive D :).

:)

edgrr, Jul 20, 2019

2. No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Jul 20, 2019
  3. S_and_S Win User
    have 1.6 gB free on drive D but drive C is full so why won't it store on drive D: ????

Why won't the computer store or use the 1.7GB drive D ...

Permissions have no role to play here, and I really hope you did not alter the access control lists for your D: drive.

By default, all software stores its data in folders on the C: drive, because every computer has a C: drive (by convention) and a software developer can't know in advance whether any given computer will have additional partitions.

Most data must stay on the C: drive. That includes Windows itself and all components of Windows, including updates. However, your personal data (documents, music, etc.) can be moved to a different partition - like your D: drive - and you can set your D:
    drive to be the default location for all future data of the same type. The default location for your personal data must be an internal drive (so not a flash drive.)

You can move these personal data folders from C: to D: ( and it's easy to doStoring data on Drive C, versus Drive D :)

Documents

Downloads

Music

Pictures

Videos

There are a few additional data folders that can be moved, but virtually all of your personal data likely resides in those folders. There are several ways to move your data, and I suppose everyone has their favorite method, so I'll show you one way.

Before you start, if you manually altered the permissions on your D: drive, do yourself a favor: backup everything you have on the D: drive to an external drive, then delete D: and re-create it. It will be created with the default permissions.

I'll start with the Documents folder -- C:\Users\your user name \Documents

1. Right-click on the folder and choose Properties from the context menu
    2. On the Location tab, change the drive letter in the box from C: to D:
    3. Don't change anything else.
    4. Click on the Move button. You'll be asked if you also want to move the contents of the Documents folder to the new location. Of course, you'll say 'yes.'
    (Windows asks that question because you can, if you wish, leave existing data on the C: drive and move all future data to the D: drive.)

After you click on the Move button, two things happen: 1) a new folder is created, namely D:\Users\your user name\Documents which is from now on the default location for all your documents, and 2) all your existing documents are moved to the new folder.

Do the same for the other folders.

You can also move the Desktop folder C:\Users\your user name\Desktop. What you see on the desktop is actually a combination of three separate folders, one of which you can move.

If you use Microsoft Office Outlook, you can move your message store (the .pst file) but you need to do that from within Outlook.

Don't try to move any other folders!

Now you can backup C: and D: independently. That's a huge advantage.

S_and_S, Jul 20, 2019
  4. Gerwoj Win User

OS drive versus D drive

My new window computer has 100g on the OS drive, of which 71G is already used (Computer is two weeks old)

How much of the 71G is from the Windows 10 operating system?

If I buy a piece of software and install it on my computer, is it all going to land on the OS drive?

MY D drive has 1TB of storage space. It is designated as D (Data).

I assume anything I create (Word Docs, CAD drawings, etc) would be stored here.

If What I've said is true why do documents I create default to the OS C: drive?

Gerwoj, Jul 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Storing data on Drive C, versus Drive D - Similar Threads - Storing data Drive

2. Drive C/D

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive C/D: So my local disk C is full because it has barely any storage and i need to download some stuff but i cant and i want to switch to my D drive because it has a lot more storage but i dont know what the consequences are and how to do it and if i can do it. If someone could help...
  3. New PC with fast c-drive and data d-drive.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New PC with fast c-drive and data d-drive.: There has been so much discussion around how to set this up for max efficiency. I provide support for friends and family who are not as knowledgeable as me. To make things easy for me to debug and for my SIL to operate, I want to set up his system as follows, please just...
  4. C drive and D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive and D drive: Hi, I was looking through my files and found my brother's files on my D drive. I asked him to move it to C drive so that it wouldn't appear on my D drive, but when I checked my C drive, he's files were there. I share a laptop with my brother and have our own accounts. Is the...
  5. C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive to D drive: So for some reason with this new PC, all of my applications and files were downloaded to my C drive automatically, when I wanted them in the D drive. So i took all of the files in the C drive and copy-pasted them to the D drive, then uninstalled everything from my C drive...
  6. C: drive and DATA drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C: drive and DATA drive: So I have had my current computer for a little while now, and I just now... I know silly me. Discovered a 1.8TB hard drive and its called DATA and I really would like to shift my current install to that drive, but I do not now how, so I have decided to ask here. I have...
  7. C: and D: drives

C: and D: drives: Laptop came with Windows 8 and 1 TB hard drive which I have 700GB free. Updated to Windows 10 and C: drive is still free but 25GB D: is full https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-and-d-drives/036ccbb4-a114-453d-880a-ccece386f1e0
  8. Move data from C drive to D

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Move data from C drive to D: How to move a c drive that is full to the D drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-data-from-c-drive-to-d/0df7a77f-dcac-4ec1-9d53-148f0565176e
  9. Data D Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Data D Drive: My computer has relatively low storage space. My computer shows me that under "storage on other devices" an internal drive has 920 GB of storage. I am trying to move Steam apps to this drive but I have no way of doing this. I have no way to send the applications to the other...
  10. C Drive is full, how to move unwanted data to D drive?

C Drive is full, how to move unwanted data to D drive?: Hi there, my c drive is almost full and this has slowed down my window explorer files when i try to go in document so i wanted to know what i can cut and copy/ transfer files or data to my d drive so my laptop can run faster? thanks...