Windows 10: Strange ALT Code behavior change with Number Lock on.

Discus and support Strange ALT Code behavior change with Number Lock on. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use the special Character Map ALT Codes to make special characters all the time. [img] The result when holding down the ALT key and typing 0176... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EyeInTheSky, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Strange ALT Code behavior change with Number Lock on.

I use the special Character Map ALT Codes to make special characters all the time.

Strange ALT Code behavior change with Number Lock on. [​IMG]

The result when holding down the ALT key and typing 0176 while notepad is open usually results in this whether the number lock is on or off:

As you can see, the degree sign was placed after 98 to show that it is a temperature and not just the number 98.

However, after this update:

2020-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4586781)

If the number lock is on and whether notepad is open or not and I hold down the ALT key and type 0176 (I now get this):

It opens the "Services" module window - What the heck is going on with that?

If I turn the Num Lock off, everything works as it normally should and the "Services" module window doesn't get triggered.

Can anyone test and confirm this that has a number pad on the right hand side of their keyboard like this that has the number lock key:

Strange ALT Code behavior change with Number Lock on. Num-Lock.jpg

:)

EyeInTheSky, Nov 12, 2020
  2. Kreij Win User

Little Alt Code Utility

It does do that, mlee. All buttons have tooltips with the alt code and a description listed in it.

The masculine ordinal number in Spanish, Italian and Portugese? I'm not even sure what it is for ... lol

Kreij, Nov 12, 2020
  3. tropers Win User
    Control-Alt-Delete Behavior Changed- PossibleTo Change Back?

Sometime within the last two weeks, I've seen a behavior change when unlocking my Windows 7 laptop. Previously, when it was locked and I hit control-alt-delete, I was shown my username and a password field to enter my password into. Once done, the computer
    was unlocked.

Now, when the laptop is locked and I hit control-alt-delete, I have to select my user first, then provide my password. My user is the only option shown. My local IT support can't explain the change.

This added step slows down logging in, and is an annoyance. So I'm wondering if there's a setting somewhere that was set that can be unset to revert back to the previous behavior.

Thanks!

tropers, Nov 12, 2020
  4. xenogriff Win User

Strange ALT Code behavior change with Number Lock on.

E51 Lock code only letters OR numbers possible?

seeing that the phone's default lock code is 12345 i find it strange that u r prompted to have a lock code that contains both alphabets and numbers

i tested it on my e90 which should be similar and i can have a lock code with all alphabets, all numbers or a combination of both...

do u have any other security applications on the phone that might be affecting this?

i could suggest as a possibility a software update but mebbe wait on some others feedback as well just in case

xenogriff, Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

Strange ALT Code behavior change with Number Lock on.

1. Strange ALT Code behavior change with Number Lock on. - Similar Threads - Strange ALT Code

2. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  3. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  4. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Behavior: [ATTACH] Windows Taskbar My Windows freezes and then my taskbar is replaced by the one above. This replacement "taskbar" is not accessible, and non of the task bar fixes I have tried off the internet will restore it. Only a system reboot restores the "original"...
  6. strange pc behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    strange pc behavior: After opening a browser or pc folder etc, my pc brings up a popup of all the open stuff in a smaller window. In the attached attached image: I have opened a chrome window and a settings window. ( shown in the background) ; In the front with a black border you can see the same...
  7. Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Behavior: Was browsing in Chrome, all of a sudden my scroll wheel on my mouse was disabled, and Windows was just making a clicking noise instead of scrolling the page. Closed everything, restarted, and got a weird blue screen asking if I wanted to Restore/Repair, etc. Restarted in...
  8. Strange laptop behavior...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Strange laptop behavior...: Lately my laptop has been acting very strange. Sometimes when I log in or restart my laptop when it opens the desktop background is the default, and I'm not logged into chrome. It is like I'm opening a new laptop. The files and music I download is gone and the games I have...
  9. A strange behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A strange behavior: Warning: The text of this question is made with Google Translate. I own a relatively new computer with Windows 10 Pro and Windows Insider Program. From the very beginning, every time I turn it on and reach the Windows lock screen, it does not detect any network connection,...
  10. strange behavior .....

in Windows 10 Support
    strange behavior .....: good morning I spent the weekend upgrading my PC's from win 7 to win 10. the 1st one had some issues after the upgrade, but most have been solved. 2 of the other 3 went fine and all seem to be working as expected. the last one, and the most important one, has lots of...