Windows 10: Strange backups being taken on one of my laptops

Discus and support Strange backups being taken on one of my laptops in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A few weeks back, I first noticed the presence of an unfamiliar directory on this laptop. It is called STG-Backups and is situated within my Downloads... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RhinoCan, Jan 29, 2019.

1. RhinoCan Win User

Strange backups being taken on one of my laptops

A few weeks back, I first noticed the presence of an unfamiliar directory on this laptop. It is called STG-Backups and is situated within my Downloads directory. I didn't recall ever creating such a directory or starting a program of backups - I keep procrastinating on that - so I looked in the directory and saw that it contained a bunch of very large files with a .JSON extension. When I look in the files, they seem to be a record of the web pages I've been on.

That seemed like a strange thing to back up so I deleted all the files in the folder. A few days later, I happened to go back and found a number of new JSON files in the folder. They were each dated one day apart with the most recent one being from that date. I eventually discovered that if I delete that day's file early in the day, another file for that day will appear a couple of hours after the first one, up to several a day.

It occurred to me that this might be malware/spyware of some kind so I ran full scans with MalwareBytes and then Avast but it didn't find anything.

I'm baffled by what is generating these files and why.

Does anyone have any idea?

:)

RhinoCan, Jan 29, 2019
  2. dat789 Win User

Burgled -- New laptop taken

It was last week and I'm still quite upset over this. Recently got a Sony Vaio and it was not even 3 weeks old when it was taken.

Are there any experts out there who can, with details of MAC address, etc., trace the location of the laptop (therefore, also the low life burglar)?

I mean what is the fate of stolen laptops besides the obvious sale.

The laptop runs on Windows 7 (64-bit) and is requires a passphrase at the logon screen. What are the first few steps to take before making the loot saleable?

ps. my passport was also taken. Seriously!?!! What good is it to the burglar?!

dat789, Jan 29, 2019
  3. SaiZo Win User
    Burgled -- New laptop taken

Hi, sorry to hear this. It's a f***d up world. A guy I used to work with, if I recall correctly he could track laptops and such. Doesn't come free exactly, but reading that your pass was taken aswell, maybe I could persuade him. He still owns me some favours.

Did it all happen in London where you live?

SaiZo, Jan 29, 2019
  4. n-ster Win User

n-ster, Jan 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Strange backups being taken on one of my laptops - Similar Threads - Strange backups being

2. Storage being taken up for no reason.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage being taken up for no reason.: Notes: i have a lenovo thinkpad e14, 512 gb ssd Windows 11 Home.I have recently noticed that my storage was literally cut in half, and upon further investigation, i found that 331gb of my storage was taken up by installed apps. But looking into them i found that the installed...
  3. Storage being taken up for no reason.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage being taken up for no reason.: Notes: i have a lenovo thinkpad e14, 512 gb ssd Windows 11 Home.I have recently noticed that my storage was literally cut in half, and upon further investigation, i found that 331gb of my storage was taken up by installed apps. But looking into them i found that the installed...
  4. There is 201 gigabytes of unaccounted space being taken up on my laptop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    There is 201 gigabytes of unaccounted space being taken up on my laptop.: I deleted everything not by Microsoft but there is still this unaccounted space, I even did the math myself.the only things I didn't add was the applications that don't have a size next to them in the apps break down....
  5. There is 201 gigabytes of unaccounted space being taken up on my laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is 201 gigabytes of unaccounted space being taken up on my laptop.: I deleted everything not by Microsoft but there is still this unaccounted space, I even did the math myself.the only things I didn't add was the applications that don't have a size next to them in the apps break down....
  6. There is 201 gigabytes of unaccounted space being taken up on my laptop.

7. storage is being taken by Xbox for no reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    storage is being taken by Xbox for no reason: I recently purchased gamepass and installed sea of thieves 74 GB on drive E and the realized 74 GB storage got taken both from drive E AND drive C! I uninstalled sea of thieves and the Xbox app, I did my best and deleted every possible temp or remaining file I could, but...
  8. storage is being taken by Xbox for no reason

storage is being taken by Xbox for no reason: I recently purchased gamepass and installed sea of thieves 74 GB on drive E and the realized 74 GB storage got taken both from drive E AND drive C! I uninstalled sea of thieves and the Xbox app, I did my best and deleted every possible temp or remaining file I could, but...
  9. One Drive has taken over my laptop!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Drive has taken over my laptop!!!: I haven't used one drive in quite a while, but got a notification that I had files uploaded and to buy more space. I decided to log in to one drive to see what I had stored. One drive moved multiple folders, including work save folders and so on to one drive. I now can NOT...
  10. Strange backups being taken on one of my laptops

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Strange backups being taken on one of my laptops: A few weeks back, I first noticed the presence of an unfamiliar directory on this laptop. It is called STG-Backups and is situated within my Downloads directory. I didn't recall ever creating such a directory or starting a program of backups - I keep procrastinating on that -...