Windows 10: Strange backups being taken on one of my laptops

Discus and support Strange backups being taken on one of my laptops in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A few weeks back, I first noticed the presence of an unfamiliar directory on this laptop. It is called STG-Backups and is situated within my Downloads... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RhinoCan, Jan 29, 2019.

1. RhinoCan Win User

Strange backups being taken on one of my laptops

A few weeks back, I first noticed the presence of an unfamiliar directory on this laptop. It is called STG-Backups and is situated within my Downloads directory. I didn't recall ever creating such a directory or starting a program of backups - I keep procrastinating on that - so I looked in the directory and saw that it contained a bunch of very large files with a .JSON extension. When I look in the files, they seem to be a record of the web pages I've been on.

That seemed like a strange thing to back up so I deleted all the files in the folder. A few days later, I happened to go back and found a number of new JSON files in the folder. They were each dated one day apart with the most recent one being from that date. I eventually discovered that if I delete that day's file early in the day, another file for that day will appear a couple of hours after the first one, up to several a day.

It occurred to me that this might be malware/spyware of some kind so I ran full scans with MalwareBytes and then Avast but it didn't find anything.

I'm baffled by what is generating these files and why.

Does anyone have any idea?

:)

RhinoCan, Jan 29, 2019
  2. dat789 Win User

Burgled -- New laptop taken

It was last week and I'm still quite upset over this. Recently got a Sony Vaio and it was not even 3 weeks old when it was taken.

Are there any experts out there who can, with details of MAC address, etc., trace the location of the laptop (therefore, also the low life burglar)?

I mean what is the fate of stolen laptops besides the obvious sale.

The laptop runs on Windows 7 (64-bit) and is requires a passphrase at the logon screen. What are the first few steps to take before making the loot saleable?

ps. my passport was also taken. Seriously!?!! What good is it to the burglar?!

dat789, Jan 29, 2019
  3. SaiZo Win User
    Burgled -- New laptop taken

Hi, sorry to hear this. It's a f***d up world. A guy I used to work with, if I recall correctly he could track laptops and such. Doesn't come free exactly, but reading that your pass was taken aswell, maybe I could persuade him. He still owns me some favours.

Did it all happen in London where you live?

SaiZo, Jan 29, 2019
  4. n-ster Win User

n-ster, Jan 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Strange backups being taken on one of my laptops - Similar Threads - Strange backups being

2. Strange backups being taken on one of my laptops

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Strange backups being taken on one of my laptops: A few weeks back, I first noticed the presence of an unfamiliar directory on this laptop. It is called STG-Backups and is situated within my Downloads directory. I didn't recall ever creating such a directory or starting a program of backups - I keep procrastinating on that -...
  3. HELP!! BEING HAUNTED BY MY LAPTOP!!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HELP!! BEING HAUNTED BY MY LAPTOP!!!!: Desperately in need of someone to instruct me on how to get rid of whatever has taken over my laptop! When I try to listen to audio it sounds like it is in a haunted house in a tunnel or reverbed what do i do for stright sound? I am on a MSI laptop and any sound from this...
  4. "Ghost orbs" mouse pointer being "taken over."

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Ghost orbs" mouse pointer being "taken over.": My HP all in one is just over a month old, and it began to have some weird "takeovers" of the mouse pointer coupled with dime size "orbs", that float around, usually on the right side of my screen. I ran every diagnostic that I could find, virus scans, you name it. Right now...
  5. strange backup error message

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    strange backup error message: Hi I am using the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) utility for my backups and it keeps skipping two files: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Documents C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Pictures These files do not exist. So why is it looking for them? Should...
  6. How do I backup my laptop to One Drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I backup my laptop to One Drive?: How do I backup my laptop to One Drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-do-i-backup-my-laptop-to-one-drive/9b787ed1-2cc4-4a36-8032-3543009a3b30
  7. new laptop battery not being detected by my laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    new laptop battery not being detected by my laptop: i just bought a new laptop battery after the old one went completely dead.After charging it for about 12hrs my laptop is not detecting it.When i put the battery in and turn on my laptop,the laptop won't turn on.if i try turning my laptop on when the battery is in and i have...
  8. Being taken straight into email account without password being request

in Browsers and Email
    Being taken straight into email account without password being request: Sorry if this has been brought up before. When I open my email account from my browser I am taken straight into my emails without having to put in my account name or password. I always sign out. I never check the "keep me signed in" box. But this invariably happens. Surely...
  9. Here's a strange one!

in Windows 10 Support
    Here's a strange one!: Just recently I found that when I started one of my laptops (Win 10 Pro 64) when it reached the desktop display - suddenly my Desktop PC (Win 10 Pro 64) started up on its own*Huh Has anyone else had this experience? I seem to be getting minor quirks quite frequently...
  10. Strange behaviour from my laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange behaviour from my laptop: My laptop was working fine yesterday, turned on today to do the ' creator' update......but advised no internet connection....checked the Ethernet cable & ok, but wifi connections window not there, found that flight mode was enabled ??? And worst of all I can't switch it off....