Windows 10: Strange Behavior after last Windows Update

Discus and support Strange Behavior after last Windows Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I successfully installed Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004 on 7/19/2020. If my laptop goes into sleep mode, it is unresponsive when I wake it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JM - Bainbridge, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Strange Behavior after last Windows Update

I successfully installed Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004 on 7/19/2020. If my laptop goes into sleep mode, it is unresponsive when I wake it up. I can click on a taskbar icon, but nothing happens. A restart does not solve the problem; I need to completely shutdown and then boot up again and things seem to work okay. Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so, is there something I can do to make it go away?

Thanks, John

:)

JM - Bainbridge, Jul 28, 2020

2. Strange update behavior

I'm trying to figure out why you had to install KB3197954 manually.

1. Did KB3197954 fail to install when offered via Windows Update or didn't you get a chance to install due to the "available updates show up but quickly disappear" behavior?

2. Assuming Win10 is, in fact, installed on the HDD, how much free space is available on the HDD (usually the C drive)? ...the SSD?

3. When, if ever, was the last time you ran Disk Cleanup?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Jul 29, 2020
  3. Very Strange Behavior after Windows 10 Update

Help! After updating one of our PCs to Windows 10, we have encountered several "strange behavior" challenges. We have been looking for solutions via the communities on Microsoft and NVIDIA and elsewhere, but cannot find the "right" answers.

Strange Behavior #1 -- The display is producing very inconsistent results. Some functions of Windows do not display anything at all (such as the "Apps & Features" option in Settings > System > Apps & Features). The icons sometimes show up
    for the installed programs. Sometimes the list actually shows up. Sometimes nothing at all shows up. Sometimes the list of prompts and values to Search, Sort, and Filter do not show up. Sometimes they show up, but there is "ghost" text all over the list of
    values in the drop downs. This "ghosting" effect can be seen in several other areas of the UI, but it is also very inconsistent. We have tried uninstalling and re-installing the latest drivers from NVIDIA, but this has not helped.

Strange Behavior #2 -- All of the Office 2013 (client installation) applications are completely broken. Every time we attempt to launch any of the components (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.), the system states that the application has stopped
    working and that Windows will close it and notify us if a solution is available. We have attempted to run the "sfc /scannow" command (with Administrative privileges) and it returned no errors. We have downloaded and run the OffCAT utility to examine each application.
    While it reported a few issues with the applications, no solid solutions were offered.

Bottom line is... at the moment, this perfectly functioning Windows 7 Pro administrative machine is now a completely dysfunctional Windows 10 Pro boat anchor. We need to know if there is a way to correct these two issues. If not, what is the process for
    backing out Windows 10 and going back to the tried and true Windows 7 Pro configuration we had only a few short days ago?

This is very frustrating and sad. One of our laptops (a newer Win 8.1 Pro device) updated very cleanly to Win 10 and had given us hope that upgrading this older (though fully confirmed by Microsoft) Win 7 machine would upgrade smoothly. Not so.

Joyful-Pastor, Jul 29, 2020
  4. TomF37380 Win User

Strange Behavior after last Windows Update

Strange update behavior

My Dell W10 laptop hasn't been used for about a year, so I attempted to use Windows Update to bring it up to speed: 1) it was stuck on "updates are available/downloading 0%)" for several hours; 2) when it finally "finished", there were 5 updates listed;
    3) when I selected download, they quickly disappeared one-by-one, and the computer went back to step 1 again. This has happened numerous times now.

When I look in the c:/windows/software distribution folder, I can see the 5 update folders there; so it appears that the updates are downloading but not installing. Strangely, my installed updates screen shows no update history/blank.

I even tried reinstalling W10 using a flash drive created on another W10 laptop. It installed fine, but the problem still exists. One strange thing about the reinstall though: the other computer was at 14.343.351, but the problem laptop still shows 14.343.0;
    shouldn't it have updated to the .351 level with the reinstall?

The update troubleshooter did not find any problems.

How do I solve this Windows Update problem?

TomF37380, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

Strange Behavior after last Windows Update

1. Strange Behavior after last Windows Update - Similar Threads - Strange Behavior last

2. Strange Internet behavior after I think an update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange Internet behavior after I think an update: Hi,I'm having some problems with my network, to start of, I have searched and read a lot of threads with similar problems but none resolved my issue.So, I launch my browser, everything works fine for about a minute or so, then it becomes so slow or straight out non available...
  3. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  4. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  5. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Behavior: [ATTACH] Windows Taskbar My Windows freezes and then my taskbar is replaced by the one above. This replacement "taskbar" is not accessible, and non of the task bar fixes I have tried off the internet will restore it. Only a system reboot restores the "original"...
  7. Strange Windows behavior

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Strange Windows behavior: Just now I was having difficulty controlling my mouse, so I opted to restart Windows. Instead of a restart I received a warning pop-up that "someone else" is using my computer and did I really want to to restart, as that person's work could be lost.No other person has access...
  8. Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Behavior: Was browsing in Chrome, all of a sudden my scroll wheel on my mouse was disabled, and Windows was just making a clicking noise instead of scrolling the page. Closed everything, restarted, and got a weird blue screen asking if I wanted to Restore/Repair, etc. Restarted in...
  9. A strange behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A strange behavior: Warning: The text of this question is made with Google Translate. I own a relatively new computer with Windows 10 Pro and Windows Insider Program. From the very beginning, every time I turn it on and reach the Windows lock screen, it does not detect any network connection,...
  10. strange behavior .....

in Windows 10 Support
    strange behavior .....: good morning I spent the weekend upgrading my PC's from win 7 to win 10. the 1st one had some issues after the upgrade, but most have been solved. 2 of the other 3 went fine and all seem to be working as expected. the last one, and the most important one, has lots of...