Windows 10: Strange behavior of Windows Search

Discus and support Strange behavior of Windows Search in Cortana to solve the problem; I am trying to understand how Windows Search works on Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004, Build 19041.928. Even after performing systematic tests in order to... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by marco-eckstein, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Strange behavior of Windows Search

I am trying to understand how Windows Search works on Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004, Build 19041.928. Even after performing systematic tests in order to figure out what it is doing, I find its behavior very strange.So, I am looking for either fixes to these issues or confirmation that Microsoft is aware of them and hopefully working on fixes.For the tests, I have created this file structureStrange behavior of Windows Search :parent + folder1 + file1.txt with "content1" + folder2 + file1.txt with "content2"The File Explorer setting View Options Search Always search fil

:)

marco-eckstein, Apr 23, 2021

2. Search Problems and strange behavior.

Search does not work and behaves strangely

1- I click on a folder to open it. and do a search from the "Search" field (in the upper right corner of the folder window)

It returns “No item match your search”

2- Now, I don’t touch anything else and in the same search field, I just type “*.*”. It lists all my files.

3- Now, I do a search for a specific file among the ones it just listed. Some times it find it, sometimes it returns “No item match your search”.

What I have done:

1- I ran the Index Troubleshooter: It did not find any problem

2 - I rebuilt the search index multiple times.

After rebuilding, Search works fine until the next reboot

2- I have also reset Windows Search as described here: (Run PowerShell script)

Fix problems in Windows Search - Windows Client

It also worked well until the next reboot.

>>> I noticed that the "SearchUI.exe" service mentioned in the link above was not running and is nowhere to be found.

Is this normal?

I am running Windows 10 version 1909 build 18363.720 and I am up to date with the updates.

Philippe Jeanjean, Apr 23, 2021
  3. Strange behavior with Cortana and Search after installing a language pack.

I am experiencing strange behavior in Cortana & Search after recently installing a language pack.

Uttam Yadav, Apr 23, 2021
  4. Strange behavior of Windows Search

search strange behavior.

Hello community.

I have a directory that is properly indexed and all is fine. in it there are files containing Department_code

but when i search for 'Department__c' (Two underscores) it is matching on 'Department_code' (one underscore)

can someone explains this behavior. tried to find any reference for special characters for windows 10 but nothing that talks about underscore.

Thank you!

SheidaSaedifaez, Apr 23, 2021
Thema:

Strange behavior of Windows Search

1. Strange behavior of Windows Search - Similar Threads - Strange behavior Search

2. Windows search bar has strange behavior

in Cortana
    Windows search bar has strange behavior: My windows search feature is not working, however it's not completely dysfunctional. All of the resources I've tried to find involve the search bar entirely unable to search, or launch programs, however mine behaves differently. I can launch apps for the most part but...
  3. Windows search bar has strange behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search bar has strange behavior: My windows search feature is not working, however it's not completely dysfunctional. All of the resources I've tried to find involve the search bar entirely unable to search, or launch programs, however mine behaves differently. I can launch apps for the most part but...
  4. Windows search bar has strange behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  6. Strange behavior of Windows Search

in Cortana
    Strange behavior of Windows Search: Strange behavior of Windows SearchI am trying to understand how Windows Search works on Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004, Build 19041.928.Even after performing systematic tests in order to figure out what it is doing, I find it's behavior very strange.So, I am looking for either...
  7. Search Problems and strange behavior.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search Problems and strange behavior.: Search does not work and behaves strangely 1- I click on a folder to open it. and do a search from the "Search" field in the upper right corner of the folder window It returns “No item match your search” 2- Now, I don’t touch anything else and in the same search...
  8. A strange behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A strange behavior: Warning: The text of this question is made with Google Translate. I own a relatively new computer with Windows 10 Pro and Windows Insider Program. From the very beginning, every time I turn it on and reach the Windows lock screen, it does not detect any network connection,...
  9. search strange behavior.

in Cortana
    search strange behavior.: Hello community. I have a directory that is properly indexed and all is fine. in it there are files containing Department_code but when i search for 'Department__c' (Two underscores) it is matching on 'Department_code' (one underscore) can someone explains this...
  10. strange behavior .....

in Windows 10 Support
    strange behavior .....: good morning I spent the weekend upgrading my PC's from win 7 to win 10. the 1st one had some issues after the upgrade, but most have been solved. 2 of the other 3 went fine and all seem to be working as expected. the last one, and the most important one, has lots of...