Windows 10: Strange boot problem

Discus and support Strange boot problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I normally run my pc with two Samsung SSD drives, a 256gb 850EVO boot drive, and a 1tb 840EVO slave drive. Every so often I image one to the other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sambat, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Sambat Win User

Strange boot problem

I normally run my pc with two Samsung SSD drives, a 256gb 850EVO boot drive, and a 1tb 840EVO slave drive. Every so often I image one to the other using the Samsung cloning software.
    I now wanted to use the 1TB elsewhere so simply removed it. After doing so my PC now boots only on the second start.
    The first time I start I just get the flashing cursor in the top left of the screen. Power off on the start button and the PC starts fine.
    If I put the slave back into my PC it starts fine.

The PC is fully up to date with driver s and updates.
    There is obviously a boot issue but not sure how to fix. Any suggestions please?

Spec:
    Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1703 (build 15063.674)
    3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770K
    MAXIMUS VI HERO Rev 1.xx
    AMD Radeon (TM) R9 270
    32gb (4x8GB) DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws

:)

Sambat, Oct 11, 2017

2. Nokia 700 - won't start after FP1 update (112.something)

Same thing happened to me. Phone won't boot with my sim card, but with other one, boot without any problem. Very strange

Peter_SVK---01, Oct 11, 2017
  3. velteyn Win User
    WINDOWS 10 installation get stuck on windows boot logo - Error 0xC1900101 - 0x30017

Hi Arul_D ,

I gave a look on the links you provided but unfortunately y specific error is not present Strange boot problem :(

Also my situation is not mentioned.

Could it be a boot block problem? The strange thing is that the boot logo hangs without errors, maybe its waiting for something to happen that never happens. It's strange that no timeout routines kick in to stop the process with a more specific error.

velteyn, Oct 11, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Strange boot problem

Your problem probably starts with having two bootable disks in your PC at the same time.

We recommend disk imaging to an external disk... having your image in the same system inevitably runs the risk of the same event corrupting both. (Think power problem, ransomware etc etc...).

Have you tried putting only one disk in your system and running Startup Repair?
    If that doesn't help, Macrium Reflect's boot disk has a useful Fix Boot utility which does more.

If still problems, it would then be useful if you could post screenshot of your partitions using Minitool Partition Wizard, with columns expanded to show all text clearly.

Assuming you had both bootable disks in situ when you upgraded for example (new build), there may have some confusion.

Thanks.

dalchina, Oct 11, 2017
  5. Sambat Win User
    Is the boot fix in Macrium only applicable if you used Macrium in the first place to create the cloned image?

Sambat, Oct 11, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    No it's a general fix boot for Windows - you can find out more with Google e.g.

dalchina, Oct 11, 2017
  7. Sambat Win User
    Downloaded the free version of Macrium and it doesnt appear ro be an option in any of the menus. Is there another version I should be using?

Sambat, Oct 11, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Strange boot problem

Strange boot problem [​IMG]

See my #2:

dalchina, Oct 11, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    To clarify what @dalchina is saying - the Fix windows boot problems appears in the menu only when you boot the computer from a Macrium Reflect rescue drive.

NavyLCDR, Oct 11, 2017
  10. Sambat Win User
    I tried the Macrium Rescue CD with no luck.
    I also tried a Boot repair from the Win 10 CD using Bootrec (RebuildBcd, fixboot, and fixMbr). Again no success.

Sambat, Oct 12, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Did you do that with only the one disk in your system? Were there any error messages?

dalchina, Oct 12, 2017
  12. Sambat Win User
    Yes, just the 256gb drive. I am now edging towards a rebuild, which is going the be a challenge, trying to find all the serials, and hoping they still work...

Sambat, Oct 13, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Strange boot problem

Here's another approach:
    1. Create a disk image of what you believe to be a working Windows (C: ) partition
    2. With only 1 SSD in your PC (to ensure no partitions are created elsewhere)
    Clean install Win 10 (deleting all existing partitions other than data)
    3, Make sure your new Windows partition is bigger than the old one
    4. Check that boots ok, and Advanced startup options (Safe Mode, Command Prompt etc) are present. (= check your Recovery partition is ok).
    5. Now booting from your Macrium boot disk, restore your Windows partition, replacing the newly created one.
    6. Boot from a Win 10 boot disk and run Startup Repair

dalchina, Oct 13, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    At step 6 why not just run Macrium's built-in utility to "Fix Windows boot problems" since you would already be booted into Macrium Reflect anyway?

NavyLCDR, Oct 13, 2017
  15. Sambat Win User
    I did try that but no difference.

Sambat, Oct 13, 2017
Thema:

Strange boot problem

1. Strange boot problem - Similar Threads - Strange boot problem

2. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange Problem: The strangest thing just happened, I was trying to go into a zoom meeting but every time I clicked on the link, I got a download instead of new window to take me to the meeting. A moment later, I tried to copy the zoom link only to realize that the keyboard had stopped...
  3. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange Problem: The strangest thing just happened, I was trying to go into a zoom meeting but every time I clicked on the link, I got a download instead of new window to take me to the meeting. A moment later, I tried to copy the zoom link only to realize that the keyboard had stopped...
  4. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Strange boot loops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange boot loops: Hey guys, I'm at a total loss with this system now and I have no clue why it's boot looping. The system is a Asus Maximus VII Hero with a i7-4790k. System was perfect for 4 years, still going strong it seems besides this issue. I can't remember the first time this happened...
  6. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Problem: I noticed a strange issue with my PC today. I am running Win 10 Pro (64 bit) and after I restarted my PC today, I observed the following things: 1. Some of the icons are missing on the taskbar. There used to be icons for Store, Calculator, Edge on my taskbar. 2. I also...
  7. Strange Boot Up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Strange Boot Up: So I have 2 Win10 systems that I just built and installed. I believe all my settings are the same, I mean I went down the list one by one. Both systems have the same mobo, same CPU, just all the same. Not a critical issue, but something I notice and just not sure. When I...
  8. Strange Dual-Boot Menu Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Strange Dual-Boot Menu Problem: I have a dual-boot problem. My desktop PC has two harddrives, Drive 0 and Drive 1. Drive 0 (my primary boot drive) has a single partition containing Windows 10 on Drive C:. Drive 1 has two partitions: a 100MB System Reserved partition containing the MBR, etc., and a large...
  9. strange boot issue

in Windows 10 Support
    strange boot issue: A friend asked me to look at his daughters computer that wouldn't turn on. There was an error saying Windows restarted unexpectedly. I looked online and found the fix. I pressed Shift-F10, got into regedit and changed HKLM/System/Setup/ChildCompletion to 3. What would case...
  10. Strange problem after booting computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange problem after booting computer: Ok so i have been running Windows 10 for a while now and after a few teething problems that were soon sorted out, i have found it to ok and i quite like it Last night when i turned the computer off it was running fine, but this morning on booting quite a few problems...