Strange BSOD occuring only once per day with external monitors

Discus and support Strange BSOD occuring only once per day with external monitors in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I'm stumbling upon a strange behaviour of Windows 10 on my work laptop. I recently got two monitors: one is plugged with HDMI, the other with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fiftyfive, Jun 5, 2018.

1. fiftyfive Win User

Hello,

I'm stumbling upon a strange behaviour of Windows 10 on my work laptop.

I recently got two monitors: one is plugged with HDMI, the other with VGA. I don't have any docking station, hence the interesting way to hook these monitors.

Every day when I switch my laptop on for the first time of the day, I get a BSOD (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR).
    I tried one day switching my laptop on without the external screens, but as soon as I plugged these back, this BSOD comes out.

What is even more strange is that it only happens once per day. When I reboot my laptop, the BSOD goes away, even if the external monitors are still plugged into my device.

Can someone help me with this mind-boggling issue?

:)

fiftyfive, Jun 5, 2018
  2. Pavan_N Win User

External monitor blanking often

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer and external monitor?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?
    • Do you get any error message?

I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates in your PC and also update Display drivers. Follow the steps below.

Step 1: I would suggest you to check and install any latest Windows Updates available.

• Go to Start and then Settings.
    • Click on Update and Recovery.
    • Check for updates under
      Windows Updates.
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 2: Please refer to the following Wiki article created by
    Andre Da Costa on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Do let us know if you still get random black screen in the external monitor. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jun 9, 2018
  3. Eeshwar Kumar Win User
    Laptop suddenly stopped recognizing the external monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to ask if the laptop is unable to recognize only the external monitor or other external devices also.

I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Click on the Start button, and type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Click on “Hardware and Devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jun 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Strange BSOD occuring only once per day with external monitors - Similar Threads - Strange BSOD occuring

2. BSOD after installing Cumulative Update KB4343909 Windows 10 v1803 Aug

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after installing Cumulative Update KB4343909 Windows 10 v1803 Aug: Win10 Pro Completed all updates last night - no issues Woke machine this early afternoon and had a BSOD but missed reading complete details (may have said driver issue) Rebooted ok and found that I had no sound Rebooted again and still n/g Troubleshooter was n/g Restored...
  3. Why can I only see a zoomed in part of any youtube video

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why can I only see a zoomed in part of any youtube video: When I try to watch a video on youtube or facebook I can only see a small part of it zoomed in. How to i fix this? Also what is threadlock and how do I unlock it?...
  4. Unable to write dump file while BSOD occur-why?

Unable to write dump file while BSOD occur-why?: Hi folks. Occasionally I experience BSOD, and in a previous question from me (for various reasons did not get a response in the thread) my problem is the event will not be written as a dump file. My computer has 64 GB or internal RAM, which I have set the minimum page wrap...
  5. I havent updated my windows since many days and now it wont update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I havent updated my windows since many days and now it wont update: I searched this sites Q/A faq and many places online, but didnt find a solution. The current updates going on in my windows 10, are: 2017-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1507 for x64-based Systems (KB4022727). Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems...
  6. I cant get access to my external hard drive pictures

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I cant get access to my external hard drive pictures: I bought a new laptop with windows 10. I recently backed up my photos from my old computer and want to put them on my new computer. It keeps saying access denied. I know its not the hard drive because everything else works except the photos. I need help....
  7. BSOD on Restart - Windows 10 Laptop

BSOD on Restart - Windows 10 Laptop: Hi, My otherwise flawless laptop has suddenly started crashing on Restart. It happens virtually every restart, but not all, and by restarting repeatedly, or shutting down and Starting, I have been able to get into windows. Once into Windows it works fine. I have spent...
  8. Fit and Fill do the same thing with a dual monitor setup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fit and Fill do the same thing with a dual monitor setup: When I use a dual screen setup, Fit does the same thing as Fill in the background settings. The preview changes in the "background settings" panel, but the actual desktop does not. It only works properly when I have one display active. Is there a fix for this? GFX Card:...
  9. BSOD related to Edge (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR)

BSOD related to Edge (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR): Hi, I tried to install Win10 on a Medion Akoya S6214T (MD 99440). I used the media creation tool for a fresh install. When the installation finished and the desktop loaded in about 10 seconds later a BSOD occured. Since I hadn't installed any drivers I booted into safe mode...
  10. Getting a BSOD on Startup

Getting a BSOD on Startup: For the last several days, my computer has been crashing shortly after I boot up in the morning. I don’t know what causes it because I was in another room. So I try booting up again and everything is OK. 116007