Windows 10: Strange bug in file explorer datapath menu

Discus and support Strange bug in file explorer datapath menu in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I found this bug out of nowhere and am not sure where I am supposed to report it so I'm doing it here. I havn't seen it before but it keeps happening... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jViola94, May 8, 2020.

1. jViola94 Win User

Strange bug in file explorer datapath menu

I found this bug out of nowhere and am not sure where I am supposed to report it so I'm doing it here. I havn't seen it before but it keeps happening when I open file explorer. The screenshot does a better job describing it than I could. Does not hinder my ability to use my PC but figured I should let somebody know. It looks like this, and when I click on the left side of it with the broken icon it updates that small area and shows the folder icon like normal but does not work for the rest of the menu/status bar.

Strange bug in file explorer datapath menu 8b95494d-c40e-420a-bca6-a22a3064514d?upload=true.jpg

:)

jViola94, May 8, 2020
  2. Ralph Sta Win User

File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, May 8, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu File Explorer button error "Windows cannot access the specified device ..."

Hi All,

I have a strange error with windows start menu today! Please check the attached two images:

Notes (before reproducing steps):

• My laptop is up without restart for 11 days till now, I am a software engineer.
    • I have ended the explorer processes and relaunched it from the task manager.
    • File Explorer button in the start menu opens "This PC".
    • I can open the Explorer normally by
      • Menu Button + E
      • File Explorer pinned to the taskbar

• I can't open the File Explorer by Start Menu > File Explorer Button

• I don't want to restart, I have a lot of work on other desktops, restart solves this problem. Obviously, it is a bug.

Steps to reproduce the error:

• open the start menu
    • click on file explorer button
      • an error message appears with "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".

Step 1:

Strange bug in file explorer datapath menu fad2ccec-0d7c-4272-9c89-08b9eb0f0083?upload=true.png

Step 2 & result:

Strange bug in file explorer datapath menu 06f0a347-02ec-4462-acd2-2d5f32d5199d?upload=true.png

Steps were taken trying to resolve the issue:

• I tried to restart the explorer process from task manager, but with no success.
    • I tried to replace the shortcut the file explorer button points at, but still with no hope.
    • I checked the permissions of the "explorer.exe" process in "Windows" folder, and I have the correct permissions. I even tried to double click the file "explorer.exe" and it normally opened the explorer without a problem!

I guess it is a problem with the File Explorer button itself in the start menu (A GUI problem), maybe a corrupted registry key!

Software and Hardware Specs:

Windows 10 Pro x64

Version 1709

OS Build 16299.309

Dell Inspiron 7559

Quad Cores i5 2.3 GHz

8 GB Ram

Thank you very much.

ahmedhamdy90, May 8, 2020
  4. Strange bug in file explorer datapath menu

Windows 10 File Explorer crashes strangely when resized

Hi,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

This might be a temporary issue on your computer.

I suggest you to sign-in out from the current user account, restart the computer, sign-in and check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, try few of the troubleshooting steps below and check if it helps.

Step : Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter

System Maintenance troubleshooter finds and clean up unused files and shortcuts and performs maintenance tasks.

Follow the steps given below:

• Type Troubleshooting in the Search box from the desktop.

• Select the Troubleshooting option.

• Select View All option and select the
      System Maintenance

• Click on Next to perform the System Maintenance troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Step 2: End the Windows Explorer process and create the new one.

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc, under Process
      tab, search for Windows Explorer.
    • Right click on it and click on End task.
    • Click on File in the Task Manager
      at top left corner of the window and select Run new task.
    • Type explorer.exe and click on Ok.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of accessing File Explorer for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 8, 2020
Thema:

Strange bug in file explorer datapath menu

1. Strange bug in file explorer datapath menu - Similar Threads - Strange bug file

2. File explorer menu drop down bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer menu drop down bug: When i use the drop down menu of the file explorer in snap layouts it automatically gets closed. I raised this issue so many times on feedback hub maybe from 20 days but it didn't fixed.Here is a clear reproduction of the issue...
  3. File explorer menu drop down bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer menu drop down bug: When i use the drop down menu of the file explorer in snap layouts it automatically gets closed. I raised this issue so many times on feedback hub maybe from 20 days but it didn't fixed.Here is a clear reproduction of the issue...
  4. file explorer bugs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer bugs: I've been having these problems for quite some time and I have tried everything but nothing seems to work, so my first bug is that every thumbnail in file explorer is just this, no matter what I do and no matter how many times I try and fix it nothing seems to work.and for my...
  5. file explorer bugs

file explorer bugs: I've been having these problems for quite some time and I have tried everything but nothing seems to work, so my first bug is that every thumbnail in file explorer is just this, no matter what I do and no matter how many times I try and fix it nothing seems to work.and for my...
  6. Windows 11 Start Menu and File Explorer Severely Bugged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Start Menu and File Explorer Severely Bugged: Hello, Starting today I no longer have access to Windows Start Menu Search Features, as well as File Explorer Search Features. Additionally, any attempt to play an mp4 video results in a "package could not be registered" error. I am on Windows 11 and here are some things I...
  7. Windows 11 Start Menu and File Explorer Severely Bugged

Windows 11 Start Menu and File Explorer Severely Bugged: Hello, Starting today I no longer have access to Windows Start Menu Search Features, as well as File Explorer Search Features. Additionally, any attempt to play an mp4 video results in a "package could not be registered" error. I am on Windows 11 and here are some things I...
  8. File Explorer bug ?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer bug ?: Hello,New 'bug' in file explorer (?).I do not know how to describe it, but it started this morning when started computer.I will attach a screenshot and please help me how to remove it.It is under the 'search' box.Answers will be appreciatedThanksWindows 10 pro 1909 x64,...
  9. Bug in File Explorer

Bug in File Explorer: Hi Team, Good day, Let me introduce my self, my name is mr Dedi from Jakarta-Indonesia. I have problem to save file with a long name character in a folder. Everytime I have save the file with a long name character in a folder, once I want to open it, they can not be...
  10. [Bug] Strange Menu Appeared on Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    [Bug] Strange Menu Appeared on Desktop: Hi, I need a bit of help from you guys. My cat just walked over my keyboard while I was on the desktop (no applications open) and this happened: https://i.imgur.com/FTkUZVS.jpg (Things in RED are added by me.) I have this strange "grid" on my desktop. It won't go away....