Windows 10: Strange Characters in Links in Microsoft Mail

Discus and support Strange Characters in Links in Microsoft Mail in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I sometimes forward a link to people. I have noticed that occasionally, when I click on an e-mail icon to bring up Microsoft Mail, where the link... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sheldan, Jun 5, 2021.

1. sheldan Win User

Strange Characters in Links in Microsoft Mail

I sometimes forward a link to people. I have noticed that occasionally, when I click on an e-mail icon to bring up Microsoft Mail, where the link should be is a string of strange characters which looks like an Oriental language. Has anyone else ever had this problem, and if so how can I correct it?

:)

sheldan, Jun 5, 2021

2. e mail link

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

Provide us with the below details for better clarity on the issue.

• Which web browser are you using?
    • Are you using Windows Mail App or Outlook Mail?
    I suggest you to make Internet Explorer as default browser and then check the issue. Follow the steps given in the link below.

Make Internet Explorer your default browser

Please get back to us with the information required and results of the above instructions.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Jun 5, 2021
  3. migranule Win User
    Windows 10 v1803 cannot copy paste Chinese characters

I don't know why, It's strange!!!

1. Every time I restarted my PC. Open a Notepad, input some Chinese characters with some English characters. Then, copy and paste them in Notepad, find that only English characters are copied while Chinese characters are lost. Then open the Microsoft Word
    2016, the situation is the same, copy paste will lost non-English characters.

2. I tried following step, then the Windows 10 can copy and paste Chinese characters.

• Press the 'Windows + R' keys together
    • In the 'Open' window input 'WinWord /a', and press Enter.
    Then the Microsoft Word was opened. I input some Chinese characters with some English characters, and then copy and paste them, found that Chinese characters can be copied!!! Then I closed Word, opened the Notepad again, inputted some
    Chinese characters with some English characters, found that Chinese characters also could be copied in Notepad!!!

I don't know why, It's so strange!!!

migranule, Jun 5, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Mail & Calendar App not displaying special characters

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to see special characters in the Windows Mail App. As you have mentioned that you are facing the issue after a Windows Update, we would like to know the update that was installed recently.

To check go to Start >> Settings >> Update & Security >> Windows Update >> View update history.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

Method 1: Repair and Reset Mail App

Try repairing Mail App and check. If repairing Mail App doesn’t work, you might have to reset Mail App. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Apps, and select
      Apps & features
      from the left pane.
    3. Scroll down, look for Mail
      & Calendar
      App, click on it and select Advanced options.
    4. Click on Repair, and wait for the process to complete.
    5. Now, try typing special characters.
    6. If the issue persists, then Reset the app in similar way.

Note: Resetting the app will reinstall it and revert it to default settings. You will have to reconfigure the email accounts.

Method 2: Reinstall Mail App

If repairing and resetting the app doesn’t work, I suggest you to try reinstalling the application and see if that works. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows Logo key + X, and select
      Windows PowerShell (Admin).
    2. Now, paste the command in PowerShell and hit Enter:
      Get-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackage
    3. Once the process completes, type Microsoft Store in the search bar on the
      Taskbar and hit Enter.
    4. Click on the search bar in
      Microsoft Store
      , type Mail and Calendar and click on it.
    5. Click on Install to install the application.
    6. After installing, Launch the app, configure your email account and check.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Strange Characters in Links in Microsoft Mail - Similar Threads - Strange Characters Links

2. Can't read emails - strange characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't read emails - strange characters: Hi - I cannot read incoming emails on Microsoft Edge Windows 10 computer. The emails are written in unusual character and are totally unreadable. Please advise how I can rectify this. Thank you....
  3. Can't read emails - strange characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't read emails - strange characters: Hi - I cannot read incoming emails on Microsoft Edge Windows 10 computer. The emails are written in unusual character and are totally unreadable. Please advise how I can rectify this. Thank you....
  4. Strange chinese characters in my HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange chinese characters in my HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT: So, sometimes I like to check my regedit after uninstall something in case I missed something, and today was not an exception. As I was scrolling trough my regedit I found some peculiar folders that I found weird. After tried to use translator and it actually gave me nothing...
  5. Keyboard Typing Strange Characters

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard Typing Strange Characters: Any help with this will be appreciated. I can't login to my laptop because the keyboard is acting strange. I'm running windows 10. If I enter "2" the keyboard enters "w2". If I try deleting the odd characters like "w2" it will only delete the 2 and the "w" remains. If I...
  6. Strange Characters display for numbers only

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Characters display for numbers only: Hello all, So I have this odd issue on a users Windows 10 pc. Basically the time and date on the screen displays odd symbols. It however does say the day...spells out Thursday perfectly. This is the screen before you log in. once logged in, when it goes into screen saver...
  7. Unknown Files with Strange Characters

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown Files with Strange Characters: There is Files on my USB Drive that have strange characters on them when I click on them they do not Open Does anyone know what this means? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-files-with-strange-characters/73b8f649-6368-478a-9264-ac1b56536c0f"
  8. Windows mail app shows my name incorrectly (strange character)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows mail app shows my name incorrectly (strange character): I have two microsoft emails, one ends in hotmail.com and the other in outlook.com. If i login into the outlook.com website and send a message from the hotmail email to the outlook one, it will display my name correctly, which is "Miguel Simões". The same thing happens if i...
  9. Strange characters in registry (screenshot)

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange characters in registry (screenshot): [img] What are the characters at the bottom? 105734
  10. Strange characters

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange characters: I see this quite often where strange characters replace, say an apostrophe. Here's an example taken from my Google calendar event: I had typed "Schnoodle's" in the event title. When I go to view it later here's what I see; well it wouldn't post the paste so will have to type...