Windows 10: Strange CPU usage patterns

Discus and support Strange CPU usage patterns in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Dell upgraded from Win7 to Win10 recently. The fan is running unusually frequently after the upgrade, and when I look at task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by m6600, Jan 11, 2016.

1. m6600 Win User

Strange CPU usage patterns

Hi,

I have a Dell upgraded from Win7 to Win10 recently. The fan is running unusually frequently after the upgrade, and when I look at task manager, I'm seeing something strange: Usually there is several processes with relatively high CPU usage, but they all have the same CPU percentage, this fixed percentage is usually between 10% and 20%. For example, currently I have "Task Scheduler Engine" and "Windows Explorer" both running at 17.6% or so (and of course I'm not doing anything in Explorer, it's just opened to a directory), it varies for a few percent from time to time, but they always change at the same time. And it's not just these two processes, I've seen other processes do the same, and I've seen CPU went up to 100% due to several of them doing this. Anyone else saw patterns like this?

Thanks

:)

m6600, Jan 11, 2016

2. Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry, what is it and why is it spiking my CPU usage up?

It tracks usage patterns on your PC so yes it may spike your CPU for short times while it is analyzing and then sending the reports back to Microsoft.

No, you can't get rid of it as it is baked into Windows 10.

Solar-Eclipse, Jan 11, 2016
  3. Bud_56 Win User
    Desktop Windows Manager uses lot of CPU

DWM continually takes up 35% or greater CPU usage. I can end the task and CPU usage drops to 1%-5% as long as I don't open or close any apps or windows. There doesn't see to be a pattern to it's going back to the 35% range. Have not seen similar postings
    with the exception that some are reporting DWM high memory usage.

Have a Dell Inspiron 7548. Because it doesn't have a VGA or Ethernet port I have installed a j5creat USB 3.0 Multi-Adapter so I can use an external monitor and our Ethernet network.

Can anyone help

Bud

Bud_56, Jan 11, 2016
Thema:

Strange CPU usage patterns

1. Strange CPU usage patterns - Similar Threads - Strange CPU usage

2. Consistent pattern of CPU usage in task manager in idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Consistent pattern of CPU usage in task manager in idle: Hello every one i am using windows 10 in DELL G3 gamming laptop , i am noticing a consistent pattern of CPU usage in task manager in idle, not sure what the reason is , my fans too are spinning at high speed due to this, please look in to it and tell whether there is any...
  3. Consistent pattern of CPU usage in task manager in idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Consistent pattern of CPU usage in task manager in idle: Hello every one i am using windows 10 in DELL G3 gamming laptop , i am noticing a consistent pattern of CPU usage in task manager in idle, not sure what the reason is , my fans too are spinning at high speed due to this, please look in to it and tell whether there is any...
  4. Consistent pattern of CPU usage in task manager in idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. CPU usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU usage: I have 100% cpu usage while gaming. Im not sure if this is connected with my problem that i cant open some of my games and applications. What should i do to lower cpu usage any solutions? submitted by /u/Ezak_Vojta [link] [comments]...
  6. Strange Data Usage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange Data Usage: Recently I have been reaching my data limit for internet usage even though there is really no reason I should be doing so. According to my data usage logs, the system is using 600GB per month. I added up all of my updates over the last 30 days and it isn't anywhere near the...
  7. Strange Data Usage

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Data Usage: Recently I have been reaching my data limit for internet usage even though there is really no reason I should be doing so. According to my data usage logs, the system is using 600GB per month. I added up all of my updates over the last 30 days and it isn't anywhere near the...
  8. What could be causing my CPU usage to jump up and down in a pattern when idle? Usage seems...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What could be causing my CPU usage to jump up and down in a pattern when idle? Usage seems...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/FloatingMilkshake [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fuya2p/what_could_be_causing_my_cpu_usage_to_jump_up_and/
  9. STRANGE CPU DETECTION

in Windows 10 Customization
    STRANGE CPU DETECTION: Hello, I was searching around and found that if I execute this command echo %processor_architecture% on my CMD, it will show my CPU info, and for my PC it showed "AMD64". But on my computer properties it shows that my CPU is in fact Intel Xeon(R). This is very confusing....
  10. Interesting CPU usage pattern caused by atikmdag.sys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Interesting CPU usage pattern caused by atikmdag.sys: I am using Acer V5-122P and running Windows 10 Build 1607 64-bit with all the latest updates. Recently, I have noticed abnormal CPU usage by "System" (regardless of whether the PC is idle). This does not happen in the past, but I'm unable to tell when exactly it started....