Windows 10: Strange desktop problems?

Discus and support Strange desktop problems? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've got a problem with a friends Windows 10 all in one computer, something happened (he can't tell me exactly what) and now the desktop appears like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NormAtHome, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Strange desktop problems?

I've got a problem with a friends Windows 10 all in one computer, something happened (he can't tell me exactly what) and now the desktop appears like this:

Strange desktop problems? [​IMG]

I can't right click on the desktop to get the desktop context menu; in general there don't appear to be any desktop icons however for brief moments when I hover the mouse cursor over an application on the task bar I can see what should be the desktop but when I move the mouse off the desktop goes back to the picture above, I can't seem insert more than one image so additional images will be attached below.

Also when you open any application it appears to be stuck in a maximized state, you can minimize it but you can't restore it nor use the mouse to change the size of any program window.

Idea's on what this is and how to fix it?

:)

NormAtHome, Sep 24, 2019
  2. Sambat Win User

Strange boot problem

I am trying to get my head round the 6 steps above before having a go. If you can expand on them it may give me a bit more confidence. I cant lose the whole contents of my PC.
    Have attached details as you suggested.

Strange desktop problems? [​IMG]

Sambat, Sep 24, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Sep 24, 2019
  4. Scavar Win User

Strange desktop problems?

8800GTS problems.

Seems pretty strange to me. I have a standard 8800GTS, the only problem I get is the BSOD nv4_disp.dll thing, which in my case I think is linked to heat on other parts of the video card.

I would suggest completely removing the drivers using Driver Cleaner, and install the ones that came with the card first. If the problem continues, remove again, try the newest drivers. If it still happens, underclock the card and try the same steps. In the end, talk to EVGA and see what they tell you.

Scavar, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

Strange desktop problems?

1. Strange desktop problems? - Similar Threads - Strange desktop problems

2. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange Problem: The strangest thing just happened, I was trying to go into a zoom meeting but every time I clicked on the link, I got a download instead of new window to take me to the meeting. A moment later, I tried to copy the zoom link only to realize that the keyboard had stopped...
  3. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange Problem: The strangest thing just happened, I was trying to go into a zoom meeting but every time I clicked on the link, I got a download instead of new window to take me to the meeting. A moment later, I tried to copy the zoom link only to realize that the keyboard had stopped...
  4. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Strange desktop icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange desktop icon: I bought a second monitor and when I adjusted the desktop I noticed a strange stain on the desktop, what is it ?? YOU TUBE- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEZH-UQjZV8...
  6. Strange Logo on Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Logo on Desktop: Hi, anybody experienced a strange logo appearing on desktop, in my case it seems to be a logo of a letter "f" with an "i" in a blue circle, screen grab attached. It floats in front of other windows, cannot be moved, has no functions on either right or left mouse click and I...
  7. desktop acting strange

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop acting strange: It is as if the devil took my working desktop w/ w10, cntl/alt del wont bring up task master. web sites change font size if I try to scroll using mouse wheel. cortina wont input. the list goes on and on. And then if i wait long enough, (10 -20 minutes) things start working....
  8. Strange Desktop Behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Desktop Behavior: Running Win10 with Open-ShellShortcuts can be placed on the desktop. But when you hover over a desktop icon a rectangular area about 1" highand half the desktop width changes to a blue lighter than the desktop blue.This seems to be strange behavior.Has anyone else experienced...
  9. Strange problems: No files on desktop, store not working etc.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange problems: No files on desktop, store not working etc.: Hello there, I upgraded my win 7 to 10 like a month ago, and since then I have a strange problems on my (desktop) computer. Firstly I noticed the problem with user accounts: I have 3 user accounts, and from time to time everything disappear from my desktop (icons and...
  10. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Problem: I noticed a strange issue with my PC today. I am running Win 10 Pro (64 bit) and after I restarted my PC today, I observed the following things: 1. Some of the icons are missing on the taskbar. There used to be icons for Store, Calculator, Edge on my taskbar. 2. I also...