Windows 10: Strange disk management issue

Discus and support Strange disk management issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; a desktop system with just 1 SSD drive connected (and 2 optical drives) and the only thing on the SSD is C: with Windows Insider 18329.1 installed.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by skcusime, Feb 2, 2019.

1. skcusime Win User

Strange disk management issue

a desktop system with just 1 SSD drive connected (and 2 optical drives) and the only thing on the SSD is C: with Windows Insider 18329.1 installed.
    Disk Management shows Disk 2 "PortableBaseLayer" as a read only drive of 8GB.
    There is no Disk 2 connected (Disk 1 is an empty card reader)
    Can anyone throw any light on this phantom drive?

Strange disk management issue [​IMG]

:)

skcusime, Feb 2, 2019

2. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Strange disk management issue :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Feb 2, 2019
  3. Disk Management

Hi Keith,

Thanks for providing the detail that was requested previously. Since the disk management screen that you saw is showing greyed out options, we suggest that you follow the steps below to change the partition type of your internal drive:

• Open Disk Management then right click the partition on the disk you want to covert and select Delete Volume.
    • Once you complete the process you will see the whole disk shown as two separate unallocated spaces. Right-click the disk and select Convert to GPT disk.

After the conversion, you will be able to use the whole disk and then you can create new separate partitions.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Feb 2, 2019
  4. Kreij Win User

Strange Issue with Logical Disk Manager...

If you are using XP, it will always assign it to the next logical letter immediately following your last local drive. (So if you have C:, D: and E:, it will assign it to F: )
    It does this even if you have already mapped that letter (Duh to XP).
    If you disconnect the mapped drive you will see the stick.
    Go into disk manager and map the stick way out on the list (something like S: ) and then remap the drive it was hiding behind. When you reboot XP will always see the stick as S: from then on.
    You will have to do this for every stick.

The other option is to move the originally mapped drive out farther and let XP use the next local drive for all the sticks and other USB devices. Then you will only need to do one remap.

Kreij, Feb 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Strange disk management issue - Similar Threads - Strange disk management

2. Strange issue regarding apps in task manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange issue regarding apps in task manager: Hello, I have a SP4 and of late I noted a strange issue regarding my device's performance. I see more edge apps and other apps in my task manager than what I am running and my machine becomes slow. Why am I seeing this problem? Any help is appreciated.RegardsSuman...
  3. Strange issue regarding apps in task manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange issue regarding apps in task manager: Hello, I have a SP4 and of late I noted a strange issue regarding my device's performance. I see more edge apps and other apps in my task manager than what I am running and my machine becomes slow. Why am I seeing this problem? Any help is appreciated.RegardsSuman...
  4. Strange issue regarding apps in task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Strange issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange issue: My machine seemingly randomly makes the device disconnected chime. Anyone else have this problem. submitted by /u/Beezlebub405 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fj82na/strange_issue/
  6. Disk Management issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Management issues: Every time I think I've seen it all in Windows 10, something new comes up. When I plug in a usb storage device, if there's already a usb storage device plugged in, both devices drop out. When I try to go to Disk Management, it states that I "do not have access rights to...
  7. Disk Management Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management Issue: I added a hard physical hard drive to my system that used to be in another system. It is a 2TB drive and currently have 2 1TB drives, and a 468MB Healthy (Recovery Partition) on it. This drive is NOT my boot drive. I want to reformat this drive as a 2TB simply NFTS drive....
  8. Strange issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Strange issue: Greetings, I have a strange issue with my PC lately. It occurs when I'm playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive around 6-12 PM. My PC restarts randomly around that time, only WHEN I'm playing that game, and ONLY around that time interval. I've checked with EventViewer...
  9. Disk Management Issue -- Again

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Management Issue -- Again: I had this issue once before and was helped, but I honestly can't remember how I was helped, and between Sevenforums, Eightforums, and Tenforums, I cannot find my old thread. So, with that in mind, here is the problem I'm having: [img] The 4TB drive (see the black,...
  10. Strange issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange issue: Touchpad works fine but during gaming, responds either slowly or won't. How can I tackle this issue? 37436

Users found this page by searching for:

1. portablebaselayer windows 10

2. portAblebaselayer

3. what is portablebaselayer windows 10

4. windows 10 portablebaselayer disk,
  5. portablebaselayer disk,
  6. portable base layer,
  7. PortableBaseLayer how delete partition,
  8. portable base layer why is windows installing it on my pc,
  9. windows portablebaselayer,
  10. w10 8g portablebaselayer disk,
  11. windows 10 portablebaselayer,