Windows 10: Strange File Deletion Issue With Microsoft Windows Security Protection Platform SPP Service

Discus and support Strange File Deletion Issue With Microsoft Windows Security Protection Platform SPP Service in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; On 8.15.2021, at 1:18 PM ET, the contents of 80 folders in my Windows 10 Downloads folder were deleted. At the time, there were 699 folders in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Wolverine Man, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Strange File Deletion Issue With Microsoft Windows Security Protection Platform SPP Service

On 8.15.2021, at 1:18 PM ET, the contents of 80 folders in my Windows 10 Downloads folder were deleted. At the time, there were 699 folders in the Downloads folder. The folders were left in existence, just their contents were deleted. Most, if not all of these files were installation files, .exe's and .msi's. In reviewing the Windows logs, the only log entry that occurred precisely at 1:18 PM ET on 8.15.2021, was related to the Microsoft Windows Security Protection Platform SPP Service, RulesEngine.: System - Provider [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Security-SPP [ Guid] {E23B33B0-C8

:)

Wolverine Man, Aug 18, 2021

2. Microsoft software protection platform (sppsvc) any other fixes for this?

Hello WulfBreaker,

Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service is a technology that is aimed at helping prevent piracy and protect customers from software tampering while making licensing easier to manage.
    Try to disable the SvcRestartTask command. Here's how:

1. Click the Start menu button, type scheduled task and open Scheduled tasks.
    2. Enter Task Scheduler Library, then Microsoft,
      Windows, and finally SoftwareProtectionPlatform.
    3. Right-click on SvcRestartTask, and choose Disable.
    4. In case there are two or more such processes, delete the duplicates.

If the issue still persists, some users suggested using a third-party software to disable the said service. You can check the suggested steps from
    Ellio_tt in this thread.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Aug 18, 2021
  3. jp2code Win User
    Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service

I just finished a complete virus can using Windows Defender.

I started the complete scan because Microsoft Software Protection Platform was already running high (I am averaging 40% or higher).

Since Microsoft Software Protection Platform was already taking up such a chunk (and its Antimalware Service Executable is taking another 30% to 40%), it took Windows Defender 2 full days to complete. During this time, my PC was next to useless.

Windows Defender completed about 4 hours ago, and both Microsoft Software Protection Platform and it's buddy Antimalware Service Executable are still each taking 30% to 40% of the CPU usage.

What is going on? Should this eventually stop or do I need to look into ways to stop these processes from crippling my system?

jp2code, Aug 18, 2021
  4. Strange File Deletion Issue With Microsoft Windows Security Protection Platform SPP Service

Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service

Hi,

The technologies are aimed at helping prevent piracy and protect customers from software tampering while making licensing easier to manage.

Microsoft Software Protection Platform, the technologies will introduce improvements in how Microsoft software activates, is validated online and behaves when tampering or hacking is detected.

As Microsoft Software Protection Platform is using more CPU usage, it might be detecting some unusual activities.

- Are you facing any performance related issues?

I suggest you to do a complete virus scan using Windows Defender.

Help us with more information to assist you further.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Aug 18, 2021
Thema:

Strange File Deletion Issue With Microsoft Windows Security Protection Platform SPP Service

1. Strange File Deletion Issue With Microsoft Windows Security Protection Platform SPP Service - Similar Threads - Strange File Deletion

2. Service Host: Windows Update, Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service and wsappx...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Service Host: Windows Update, Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service and wsappx...: I'm using windows 10 19045.3031, which should be the latest version and I don't have any updates pending. Service Host: Windows Update will keep consuming both CPU and memory until it consumes about 200MB, then it will stop using CPU and reduce memory usage, but the whole...
  3. Service Host: Windows Update, Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service and wsappx...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Service Host: Windows Update, Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service and wsappx...: I'm using windows 10 19045.3031, which should be the latest version and I don't have any updates pending. Service Host: Windows Update will keep consuming both CPU and memory until it consumes about 200MB, then it will stop using CPU and reduce memory usage, but the whole...
  4. Service Host: Windows Update, Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service and wsappx...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Security SPP and Time-Service events

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security SPP and Time-Service events: Hello, I have noticed today those inforamtion in the event logs that concerns me : Event 16394, Security SPP - migration on the lower level in offline mode was preformed successfully Event 16384, Security SPP - scheduled a restart of application protection service at...
  6. Security SPP and Time-Service events

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Security SPP and Time-Service events: Hello, I have noticed today those inforamtion in the event logs that concerns me : Event 16394, Security SPP - migration on the lower level in offline mode was preformed successfully Event 16384, Security SPP - scheduled a restart of application protection service at...
  7. Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service: Hello everyone. First post Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service launches only when gaming... My PC is suitable for old games or modern games with low settings to get the maximum performance. When launching games from Steam, Uplay the Microsoft Software Protection...
  8. Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service high CPU usage

Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service high CPU usage: Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service, Sppsvc.exe, uses too much cpu, often going up to above 14-20%. This happens in very 2 min I tried Checked that my system is fully updated -Scanned for malware -Used system maintenance troubleshooter -Run a clean boot...
  9. microsoft software protection platform service high cpu

microsoft software protection platform service high cpu: every one or two minutes Microsoft software protection platform service uses high cpu for about 10 or 20 sec then stops then repeat this cycle again and again i restarted the windows into safe mode and this problem disappeared i have latest windows update update...
  10. Office software protection platform service related issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Office software protection platform service related issue: Hello people, I have been facing an issue to start Office software protection platform service, the error message shows ' Error 2 the system cannot find the file specified'.I was trying to install Office2016. According to various sources, I have done the following things -...