Windows 10: Strange File/Print share issue

Discus and support Strange File/Print share issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After KB4457128 Update, a shared USB printer on my system was no longer visible on other computers on the network. This is a home network using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jdsmort, Oct 13, 2018.

1. jdsmort Win User

Strange File/Print share issue

After KB4457128 Update, a shared USB printer on my system was no longer visible on other computers on the network. This is a home network using Workgroup, and has always been "flaky" with W10 updates breaking shares. However, in this case, the problem was with this share. If I tried to add to another PC, I got an error message "The device or resource (PC name) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)"" I have checked to ensure SMB1 is available, and it is on all computers concerned.. all are W10, main is Pro x64 others are Home x64. I am able to still use this printer shared, by connecting to the Home x64 PC and it is available from there to ALL, including the Pro x64 PC.. but it would be preferred if it could be connected to the main Pro x64 PC. I have tried run DISM RestoreHealth, checked various other requirements for network sharing...Discovery, and File and Print sharing on (Private Network), but Off for Public, (Private is active). Just no access to this computer from others.

Now SMB1 is again disabled as it has security issues, but the error message relates to port 445 access now, and I have created rules in Defender Firewall to allow access, but no difference. I find if checking the port using Port Query it shows as NOT LISTENING..
    Can anyone suggest a way to enable this port.. as I said I created a rule to allow TCP and UDP incoming.. but no good if it isn't listening...

:)

jdsmort, Oct 13, 2018
  2. Joythar K Win User

File and print sharing

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Windows 10. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10. We
    understand that you are not able to print and we do apologies. I can help you with it.

For better understanding of the issue, please provide us following information:

• Which build of Windows 10 are you using?
    • You can try uninstalling and reinstalling that software and check.
    The issue you have reported usually occurs if the drivers needed for the device are not installed properly or if the drivers are not compatible with the Operating System.

I would suggest you to visit manufacturer's website and install the latest available driver for the device .

If the drivers for the device are not yet available for Windows 10, hence I suggest you to reinstall them in compatibility mode.

Follow the steps below to install the driver in compatibility mode and see if it helps:

• Right click on the setup file of the driver and select
      Properties
    • Select Compatibility Tab
    • Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list
    • Click OK and run the setup.
    I would suggest you to visit manufacturer's website and install the latest available driver for the device in compatibility mode.

Hope this helps.

Please post back if you have any questions. We will be glad to provide you with the additional options.

Joythar K, Oct 13, 2018
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Print Preview Pane

Hi Patti,

We need to gather more information for us to better assist you on your concern. Kindly answer the following:

• When did the issue start?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer before encountering the issue?
    • What is the OS Build of your Windows 10? To know the build of your Windows 10, follow these steps:
      • Click the Windows logo (Start button).
      • Click the gear icon (Settings).
      • Select System.
      • On the left pane, choose About.
    • What is the model of the printer that you're using?
    • Does the issue occur on all of your images that you're attempting to print?
    • Have you checked if the Print Preview window will appear if you will print the image using the
      Share tab in File Explorer? To print an image using the Share tab, follow these steps:
      • Access File Explorer.
      • Navigate to your picture files, and then highlight one file.
      • Click the Share tab at the top of File Explorer.
      • In the Send group, choose Print.
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you've done so far?

Argel Obm, Oct 13, 2018
  4. Strange File/Print share issue

Windows 10 printing issue while printing picture from Document files.

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in printer settings.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• When you say that "I cannot print a picture from my Documents file", are you trying to print a picture present in a word document file or trying to print a picture on Windows 10?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided in the Microsoft Help Article about printer related issues and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...4-6025-dcc1-3aefaa14ab40/fix-printer-problems

Please get back to us with an update on issue with printing pictures in document file on Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

Strange File/Print share issue

1. Strange File/Print share issue - Similar Threads - Strange File Print

2. Strange message printed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange message printed: I have an Epson ET-2650 printer. It is attached to a BMAX M-3 Plus minicomputer which I had just installed a new 512GB SSD drive to and installed Windows 11 Pro. The following printout was started un-announced, without prompting on my part. It seems to have come over the...
  3. Strange message printed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange message printed: I have an Epson ET-2650 printer. It is attached to a BMAX M-3 Plus minicomputer which I had just installed a new 512GB SSD drive to and installed Windows 11 Pro. The following printout was started un-announced, without prompting on my part. It seems to have come over the...
  4. File Sharing issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Sharing issue: I've got a win 10 pro on a desktop. can not connect to it from my iMac via smb, I've tried everything possible, but it just refuses to connect. I've tried as a guest, I've tried using my win10 sign in (even though I have sign in disabled ) all i get is the error "check...
  5. Strange network share issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange network share issue: Hi all, I've just built a new Windows 10 system which is part of a 3 computer private/wifi LAN (Windows 10 - 64 bit). I had network shares working OK but as of yesterday, one of the computers can no longer access one of the other computers. The 3 computers are a worklaptop,...
  6. File Share Issues

File Share Issues: I have an old Win 10 PC I recently set up to use as an easy file server to hold media. My laptop and Gaming PC connect perfectly to the shares. My old gaming PC on the other hand, will not. I went through several of the already posted solutions to this, including:...
  7. Print and file sharing is online but not responding

Print and file sharing is online but not responding: The remote computer isn’t responding to connections on port 445, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, or because it might be temporarily unavailable. Windows couldn’t find any problems with the firewall on your computer....
  8. Share files issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Share files issue: I am unable to share files on my PC. The feature used to work but currently something has changed. Any help is appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/share-files-issue/8a7420bb-633f-478e-b0f6-25e555e87b3f
  9. File and Print Sharing

File and Print Sharing: When I select the file and printer sharing to the "on" position and then save settings, it returns to "off" when I open the "Change advanced sharing settings" dialog box the file and printer sharing is "off". I've tried everything that I've seen in the community but nothing...
  10. File sharing issue

File sharing issue: HP Desktop running Win 10 Ver 1809, build 17763.292, latest update 2/12 Toshiba Laptop running Win 10 Ver 1803, build 17134.590, latest update 2/14 The desktop is connected to the router via ethernet, laptop connected via wi-fi. Solid wi-fi connection throughout the...