Windows 10: Strange, flawed, frequent, standby behavior after update

Discus and support Strange, flawed, frequent, standby behavior after update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After update to 1607 anniversary 3 days ago my laptop started doing standby after a minute of no activity. I had to login and heard the drive spinning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 91fw, Sep 25, 2016.

1. 91fw Win User

Strange, flawed, frequent, standby behavior after update

After update to 1607 anniversary 3 days ago my laptop started doing standby after a minute of no activity.
    I had to login and heard the drive spinning up. That's pretty hard on the drive i would think.
    I confirmed that they retained my previous power setting, which certainly aren't 1 minute.
    Today it did standby as I was reading mail.
    It's random. It can behave just fine for a long time, doing standby after the normal 20 minutes, and then the unexpected one minute standbys hit.
    What should I do?

Edit: I walk out to the kitchen for a drink of water, come back, have to take it out of standby again *Sad
    I see a pattern in the event log - see attached tab delimited sequences. Don't know what to make out of it.

:)

2. Strange update behavior

Cross your fingers, roll up your sleeves & try running the following multi-step fix that I've cooked up just for
    your computer.

ACTIONS:

[You may want to print these instructions for offline reference. DON'T SKIP ANY STEP! If a Step says to reboot,
    reboot! ]

1a. Right-click on the following link, select SAVE TARGET AS... & download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:
    L:
    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

1b. Right-click on the following link, select SAVE TARGET AS... & download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:

http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key handy, uninstall
    Norton Security and LiveUpdate (if listed)
    as well as any Norton Add-ons via Start | Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features.

4. IMPORTANT! => Make certain that Windows Defender & the Windows Firewall are both enabled (turned on)
    immediately after rebooting! [Should happen automatically but I want you to double-check.]

NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) until you've completed Step #7 below!

5a. Right-click on the file you saved in #1a above and select Run as Administrator to run the Norton utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot again.

5b. Right-click on the file you saved in Step #1b above and select Run as Administrator to run the McAfee utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot again.

6. Do a clean install of Norton Security using your Product ID, if need be & reboot. See

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20090225155411EN_EndUserProfile_en_us?q=reinstall

NOTE: Do NOT enable or install any Norton Add-ons or toolbars (e.g., Norton Anti-Phishing) just yet.

7. Manually update the Norton application until you get a "no more updates" or similar prompt.

8. Reassert Edge or Internet Explorer 11 [your choice] as the system's default Browser. See

http://www.cnet.com/news/heres-how-to-set-your-default-browser-in-windows-10/
    [1]

9a. Enable access to (turn on) Internet Explorer 11 via the Programs and Features | Turn Windows features on or off user-interface, if need be.

Strange, flawed, frequent, standby behavior after update [​IMG]

9b. Reset Internet Explorer 11 (not Edge) per the instructions on this page:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings

Note => For optimal results, check the Delete personal settings
    option.

10. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter from start to finish. [2]

• Execute keyboard shortcut WinKey+X

• Select Control Panel

• In the search box, type Troubleshooter and then click
    Troubleshooting

• Under System and Security, click on Windows Updates

11. Reboot & test by running a manual check for updates & see if any/all updates offered (e.g., KB3197954; KB3201860; KB3199986; KB890830) will successfully install now. Follow all prompts.

Strange, flawed, frequent, standby behavior after update [​IMG]

12. Reply to this post with a status report.

Good luck!

TIP: Bookmark this thread. If you upgrade to Norton Security v23.x or when you decide to ditch Norton altogether, you'll need to run some of the multi-step fix again.

==================================================

[1] After we've finished this thread, feel free to reassert an alternate browser (e.g., Chrome; Firefox) as your default, if you wish.

[2] Full Disclosure: Running the Windows Update troubleshooter will delete your
    Update History but not the list of Installed Updates.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Sep 25, 2016
  3. TomF37380 Win User
    Strange update behavior

Norton Security 22.8.0.50

283 days left

TomF37380, Sep 25, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

It is not hard on the drive to spin. Now if you hear the head smashing back and forth, yes that is a bad thing. If the system halts because of a process, you may want to download Process Explorer from Microsoft.com to watch what is going on. Also Powercfg tracks what the system does when it goes into a standby state.

Personally I would roll back to before the AU and not let the OS update. Sounds like something went wrong with the update.

Get the actual ISO for AU from microsoft.com along with the Win RE tool that can be placed on a USB. Hiren's PE disc is also another tool to have to help solve these types of issues.

bro67, Sep 25, 2016
  5. 91fw Win User
    I was not worried about the drive spinning. I was/am worried about it starting and stopping so frequently. -----------------I have fought and fought, including setting for sleep to NEVER and it keeps falling asleep in about a minute or two, unless I keep typing and clicking non-stop. -----------------I have two options: ----------1. Restore from image back to 1511 state, or -----------2. Roll back to 1511 and shut off windows update service forever. The question here is that after 1607 installed there was one enormous cumulative update. Do I uninstall cumulative before rolling back? ---------- why is inserting carriage returns so difficult here when I paste a message?

6. bro67 Win User
    The drives are made for them to read and write billions of time. The only time that you have to worry about is if the power goes out and the heads crash before they go back to the rest position. If you want to not have to worry about mechanical parts wearing down, get a decent 3D SSD. I have a Samsung 850 Evo on my wife's laptop and it is faster than the previous SSD she had in it.

bro67, Sep 27, 2016
  7. 91fw Win User
Thema:

1. Strange, flawed, frequent, standby behavior after update - Similar Threads - Strange flawed frequent

2. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  3. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  4. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Behavior: [ATTACH] Windows Taskbar My Windows freezes and then my taskbar is replaced by the one above. This replacement "taskbar" is not accessible, and non of the task bar fixes I have tried off the internet will restore it. Only a system reboot restores the "original"...
  6. Strange Behavior after last Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Strange Behavior after last Windows Update: I successfully installed Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004 on 7/19/2020. If my laptop goes into sleep mode, it is unresponsive when I wake it up. I can click on a taskbar icon, but nothing happens. A restart does not solve the problem; I need to completely...
  7. Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Behavior: Was browsing in Chrome, all of a sudden my scroll wheel on my mouse was disabled, and Windows was just making a clicking noise instead of scrolling the page. Closed everything, restarted, and got a weird blue screen asking if I wanted to Restore/Repair, etc. Restarted in...
  8. A strange behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A strange behavior: Warning: The text of this question is made with Google Translate. I own a relatively new computer with Windows 10 Pro and Windows Insider Program. From the very beginning, every time I turn it on and reach the Windows lock screen, it does not detect any network connection,...
  9. Strange monitor flaw

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Strange monitor flaw: This is a minor quirk I've lived with for years on my XP PC but it's become worse in Win 10. My Ilyama Prolite E2403WS 24" monitor is set to its recommended resolution of 1920 x 1200, and naturally that's supposed to be located at (0,0). But in XP it was always at (-4,-4)...
  10. strange behavior .....

in Windows 10 Support
    strange behavior .....: good morning I spent the weekend upgrading my PC's from win 7 to win 10. the 1st one had some issues after the upgrade, but most have been solved. 2 of the other 3 went fine and all seem to be working as expected. the last one, and the most important one, has lots of...