Windows 10: strange folders under users folders...

Discus and support strange folders under users folders... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i found these strange folders under the users folders and other places... dozens of them... ones like Send To, Start Menu, Templates, etc they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hannelius, Nov 14, 2015.

1. hannelius Win User

strange folders under users folders...

i found these strange folders under the users folders
    and other places... dozens of them...
    ones like Send To, Start Menu, Templates, etc

they have shortcut arrows but they are not...
    they are file folders and they have no size
    and the date is when i installed windows...

if you try to open them access is denied...
    but if you delete them they have a size
    what are they? why are they there?

they're not the real ones...

:)

hannelius, Nov 14, 2015
  2. dnager Win User

Option adding folders under "This PC" in Windows 10

Thanks. I guess Quick Access is like a shortcut, and I know how to use Libraries. I dont know how "This PC" was designed to function but I have random things happening under it. Like I said when I moved some of my data folders over to c:\users\user They
    did show up under This PC. That should be the way it functions. Some folders that were already there had some random folders and files listed under it. I realize now that This PC was designed to work with On Drive but I can add folders to One drive and they
    dont show up under This PC. The folders that are under This PC come back with strange locations when you look at Properties. It does appear to me that whatever I did bringing my folders over and trying to delete folders under This PC has corrupted the file
    system regarding This PC.

dnager, Nov 14, 2015
  3. Rose Ter Win User
    A number of TEMP folders under USERS folder.

Hi Ramesh,

If we may ask, are you still experiencing the same issue?

Regards.

Rose Ter, Nov 14, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Do you mean these? Code: D:\Users\Nori>dir /a:l Volume in drive D is Data Volume Serial Number is 0EE7-5AB6 Directory of D:\Users\Nori 12/11/15 20:02 <JUNCTION> Application Data [D:\Users\Nori\AppData\Roaming] 12/11/15 20:02 <JUNCTION> Cookies [D:\Users\Nori\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies] 12/11/15 20:02 <JUNCTION> Local Settings [D:\Users\Nori\AppData\Local] 12/11/15 20:02 <JUNCTION> My Documents [D:\Users\Nori\Documents] 12/11/15 20:02 <JUNCTION> NetHood [D:\Users\Nori\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts] 12/11/15 20:02 <JUNCTION> PrintHood [D:\Users\Nori\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts] 12/11/15 20:02 <JUNCTION> Recent [D:\Users\Nori\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent] 12/11/15 20:02 <JUNCTION> SendTo [D:\Users\Nori\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo] 12/11/15 20:02 <JUNCTION> Start Menu [D:\Users\Nori\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu] 12/11/15 20:02 <JUNCTION> Templates [D:\Users\Nori\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates] 0 File(s) 0 bytes 10 Dir(s) 21,224,017,920 bytes free[/quote] They are junctions (an alternate route to a directory if you like) Junction Points (Windows)

Don't try to delete them.

5. hannelius Win User
    i tried to read that...

that looks like them...

i just found if i take ownership over them
    then i can open them...

guess it makes it easy...

hannelius, Nov 15, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    If you take ownership of them your backups might grow to infinite size due to circular references...

They are supposed to deny read access to everyone.

7. hannelius Win User
    i see the administrator is allowed access
    and so is my user account
    but it's denied for everyone....

it would be nice to be able to use them...
    can i just allow access to everyone?

hannelius, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. strange folders under users folders... - Similar Threads - strange folders under

2. A strange folder under Temp folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A strange folder under Temp folder: Hello, I've recently stumbled upon a strange folder I don't remember seeing before which was located in the Temp folder in Local AppData.The folder was named "scoped_dir17048_1392502419" and it contained two pictures, one was a profile picture of my mobile Discord accountI...
  3. Deletion of Default folder under Users folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deletion of Default folder under Users folder: I'm using windows 11 and accidentally deleted a Default folder under Users, no system backup was performed prior to these. The Default folder is permanently deleted any chance to restore it back. Will it effect already created users??Any suggestion would be more then helpful...
  4. Deletion of Default folder under Users folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deletion of Default folder under Users folder: I'm using windows 11 and accidentally deleted a Default folder under Users, no system backup was performed prior to these. The Default folder is permanently deleted any chance to restore it back. Will it effect already created users??Any suggestion would be more then helpful...
  5. User Folder Strange Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Folder Strange Icons: Hey guys last week I reboot my laptop after one there is two Icons starting shows up my user folder and they are empty nothing in it I'm deleting these two folder every time but when i shut down or restart the pc they will came back how can i delete ? them or anyone know...
  6. User Folder Strange Icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Folder Strange Icons: Hey guys last week I reboot my laptop after one there is two Icons starting shows up my user folder and they are empty nothing in it I'm deleting these two folder every time but when i shut down or restart the pc they will came back how can i delete ? them or anyone know...
  7. Strange name in folder under USER

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange name in folder under USER: My account is under my name, but I often try to get the user name The Mage, or TheMage if I can, or many derivatives.I do not see this anywhere on anything listed on my Microsoft accounts, but if it was, it would be TheMage.Trying to change my name just gives my real name. Is...
  8. Sharing a sub folder under 'Users' results in folder 'Users' and all the subfolders under...

Sharing a sub folder under 'Users' results in folder 'Users' and all the subfolders under...: When I enable sharing on an individual sub folder under 'Users', the 'Users' folder itself and all sub folders under get sharing enabled for them. Further, the [Share] button under [Properties>Sharing] for folder 'Users' gets greyed out. What's causing this weird behavior...
  9. Strange users and folders in Documents

Strange users and folders in Documents: I've been struggling with this for months. I keep seeing two strange document folders and two users appear in my Windows 10 file system. If I delete them they reappear within a minute or so. I'm currently at 1903 with all current updates applied. I've noted that the bogus...
  10. strange name of the user folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    strange name of the user folder: hi By the install i give this as e-mail nothing stragen so fare. After install when i look in the user folder directory he have created a folder whit arthu and not arthur why ? 27541