Windows 10: Strange freezing while watching videos locally (video inside)

Discus and support Strange freezing while watching videos locally (video inside) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been experiencing an issue recently where my computer will lock up for several seconds at a time while watching videos locally (as opposed to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lukeman3000, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Strange freezing while watching videos locally (video inside)

I've been experiencing an issue recently where my computer will lock up for several seconds at a time while watching videos locally (as opposed to streaming) with the Movies & TV application (the default application for opening videos on Windows 10).

However, this freezing only happens when Nvidia Shadow play's "instant replay" mode is turned on, wherein it allows one to save the past 30 seconds of activity to a local video file (which I often use during gameplay to record crazy moments).

The Shadowplay overlay itself can be enabled -- If instant replay is turned off then the freezing does not occur. Plus, the freezing only seems to occur when I change the focus of the window from Movies & TV to something else, and it gets worse when I start minimizing and maximizing windows as shown in the video below.

The audio of the video continues to play without interruption but the graphics freeze for several seconds at a time. I tried monitoring my CPU usage with realtemp during this time, but when the freezing occurs it's like realtemp stops recording and those seconds don't even appear in the log file, so I don't know what my CPU is doing during this time.

I've also attached a link to the realtemp log file that you can look at while watching the video I recorded if you want to try and match up what happened at what time. The realtemp log is in military time so 19:00 is 7:00 pm.

Here is a google drive link
    to the same realtemp log file. I've appended it with commentary based on what happened at what time.

[youtube]R4p5qZoFCfw[/youtube]

Also, the reason that this is recorded with my phone is because Shadowplay apparently doesn't allow recording while Movies & TV app is open. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that you can purchase copyrighted content through that application? Anyways, instant replay can still be set to "On" during this time but the "Save" option is greyed out while Movies & TV is open. That is why I had to record with my phone.

:)

lukeman3000, Dec 28, 2016

2. Frequent Freezing + Buzzing Audio on Windows 10

hi i have a HP laptop how do i do this? mine always freezes and buzzes while im watching videos etc

ChloeBrown1999, Dec 28, 2016
  3. benhtz Win User
    5800xm video playing is stuck after couple of minutes

I have updated my version to 40.

Now the video freezes after couple of minutes - then I have got just audio while the picture is frozen.

Did it happen to anyone else?

Any idea what can be done to watch video again?

Thanks!

benhtz, Dec 28, 2016
  4. MCK
    mck Win User

Strange freezing while watching videos locally (video inside)

A shot in the dark.

Try Winkey+X > Power Options > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Scroll to PCI Express > Link state power management. Set that to OFF.

5. Thanks for the suggestion -- Link state power management is already set to off.

I'm guessing this has more to do with Shadow Play's instant replay feature and the Movies & TV application because instant replay is disabled when this application is open.

lukeman3000, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Strange freezing while watching videos locally (video inside)

1. Strange freezing while watching videos locally (video inside) - Similar Threads - Strange freezing while

2. Laptop freezes while watching youtube videos

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop freezes while watching youtube videos: DescriptionA problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.Problem signatureProblem Event Name: LiveKernelEventCode: 193Parameter 1: 810Parameter 2: ffffa109f4473000Parameter 3: ffffa109e5e37040Parameter 4: 69OS version: 10_0_19044Service Pack:...
  3. Laptop freezes while watching youtube videos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop freezes while watching youtube videos: DescriptionA problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.Problem signatureProblem Event Name: LiveKernelEventCode: 193Parameter 1: 810Parameter 2: ffffa109f4473000Parameter 3: ffffa109e5e37040Parameter 4: 69OS version: 10_0_19044Service Pack:...
  4. Laptop freezes while watching youtube videos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PC freezes while watching videos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC freezes while watching videos: Hi. I have been having this issue for a few weeks. Whenever I watch a video, my pc will randomly freeze up after sometime sometimes immediately but usually every 10-20 minutes. It happens with any video platform I tried: youtube & netflix in both Chrome and Edge, and also VLC...
  6. PC freezes while watching videos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC freezes while watching videos: Hi. I have been having this issue for a few weeks. Whenever I watch a video, my pc will randomly freeze up after sometime sometimes immediately but usually every 10-20 minutes. It happens with any video platform I tried: youtube & netflix in both Chrome and Edge, and also VLC...
  7. PC freezes while watching videos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Windows 10 Freezes while watching online videos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Freezes while watching online videos: Hi All,I had recently got a PC built and every time i watch online videos, windows freezes and does not allow me to do anything. I am not even able to shutdown, restart or even sign out.I have done the following and yet nothing seems to fix the issue:1. Updated all drivers2....
  9. Computer freezing while playing video games/watching videos

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer freezing while playing video games/watching videos: Hello, I am having a bizarre problem that I can't seem to narrow down. While playing video games (Black Desert Online) on one monitor and having YouTube or twitch.tv up on another monitor my computer will eventually freeze and require power cycling. No BSOD no errors in...
  10. Computer freezing while watching video?

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer freezing while watching video?: Not sure what's going on or if I should be worried about this but when I got up today and checked my PC (I had left it on while watching videos on VLC Media Player) I couldn't move my mouse or anything so I realized that it froze. I restarted it and about 10 minutes later...