Windows 10: Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted?

Discus and support Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, On my C root disk I have lots of strange hidden folders. Can they safely be deleted? They do not contain anything except a .log file in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Hoggorm, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Hoggorm Win User

Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted?

Hi,

On my C root disk I have lots of strange hidden folders.

Can they safely be deleted? They do not contain anything except a .log file in the $SysReset folder

Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted? [​IMG]

:)

Hoggorm, Apr 10, 2016
  2. kumar_820 Win User

Which folders in C Drive I can delete safely

Currently I have 13 GB free space in the C Drive after using CC cleaner and disk cleaner and removing all the unnecessary programs. I wanted to delete the unnecessary files to gain at least 4GB space in my C Drive so that I can install the windows 10 anniversary
    update. Can somebody help me to delete the folders in C Drive manually so that I can gain the space.

kumar_820, Apr 10, 2016
  3. Which folders in C Drive I can delete safely

Hi,

I would like to inform you that it is not recommended to delete the folder which has been created automatically at the time of installation, as the system requires access the folders with in the C drive, however you may try
    deleting the folder in the C drive which you have created manually for the other purposes.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Apr 10, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

I don't mean to be an alarmist or anything, but the only mention of the ~axdw folders is in the context of a Trojan/Worm named trojan.win32.fraudpack.adxw. That said, I've never heard of any of the so-called "reporting authorities" that claim to offer repair tools for this putative malware, and I do see mention of a "fake antivirus repair" repair utility that deals with this apparent problem. Bizarre! Seems like you're not the only person to be troubled by this phenomenon.

I just visited the searchable threats database at McAfee and it comes up with no hits on that names as search term. My advice would be to run MalwareBytes or Trend Micro Housecall on your PC, and if you come up clean, go ahead and remove these files. Otherwise, follow their repair recommendations, and then see if these folders are still hanging around. If they only contain logs anyway, they can easily be dispensed with. You just don't want them to be a telltale sign for something potentially worse lurking in your system.

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 10, 2016
  5. Hoggorm, AXDW stands for Athens Exclusive Designers' Week (Seriously).

Okay, I advise you to follow Ed's advice. Malwarebytes Free Edition will warn you if they are harmful. If not, set a System Restore Point, empty your Recycle Bin (so they'll be easier to restore if necessary) and then delete them as Ed says.

Vince Massi, Apr 10, 2016
  6. Hoggorm Win User
    I just did a scan with Malwarebytes Free edition and it did not find anything.

All those AXDW folders are empty. The log file mentioned is in the $SysReset folder only.

As far as I can understand this folder is:

"Created once you perform a System Refresh and the SysReset folder contains information about, ranging from log files to migration xml documents, all of which provide useful information to a forensic investigator."

I installed Windows 10 via Windows 7 and actually did a system refresh, so I guess this is remains from that event.

I'll try to delete the SysReset folder (as I am no forensic investigator) and those AXDW folders as well.

Hoggorm, Apr 10, 2016
  7. If those are leftover files from the upgrade, they should go away if you run a "Disk Cleanup" on your C:\ drive's properties. Though I have never heard of or seen any such files being created by Windows.

Salad Fingers, Apr 11, 2016
  8. Hoggorm Win User

Only the $SysReset folder is as far as I can understand leftovers from the system refresh. The AXDW folders I have no idea what are.

In an earlier post in this thread I reported that those folders did not contain any files, something that is true when I open them (I have obviously hidden files and folders visible). However - when deleting them it took some time because they all had 3000 files without any name or size (!).

I've run virus checks and antimalware on them without finding anything. After a reboot I am still here, so hopefully nothing very bad has happened...

Hoggorm, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted? - Similar Threads - Strange hidden folders

2. Can I delete a folder on C drive safely?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I delete a folder on C drive safely?: Recently I wanted to clear storage on my c drive so I uninstalled some architecture related software like revit and AutoCad as I no longer needed them. After the installation some storage had freed up but not as much as a thought it would. I opened the C drive and found a 22...
  3. Can I delete a folder on C drive safely?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I delete a folder on C drive safely?: Recently I wanted to clear storage on my c drive so I uninstalled some architecture related software like revit and AutoCad as I no longer needed them. After the installation some storage had freed up but not as much as a thought it would. I opened the C drive and found a 22...
  4. Can I delete a folder on C drive safely?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. can delete previous C folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can delete previous C folder: After moving windows from HDD to SDD, can I delete the data in previous C folder which is now f folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-delete-previous-c-folder/6cd7d1f2-5cc0-4dfe-bd52-2e40a1fc729b
  6. Is safe to delete the C:\Windows\Panther folder ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is safe to delete the C:\Windows\Panther folder ?: Simple as the title. Is safe to delete the "Panther" folder at C:\Windows directory. Note : i think it is created after a (succesful) repair upgrade. I run Windows 10 Pro x64 ver 20H2 build 19042.685. Thanks.*Smile 170737
  7. Is safe to delete the C:\Windows\Panther folder ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is safe to delete the C:\Windows\Panther folder ?: Simple as the title. Is safe to delete the "Panther" folder at C:\Windows directory. Note : i think it is created after a (succesful) repair upgrade. I run Windows 10 Pro x64 ver 20H2 build 19042.685. Thanks.*Smile 170737
  8. Is it safe to delete folders inside C:\DRIVERS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it safe to delete folders inside C:\DRIVERS: Recently, I updated my apps and found that around 2GB of space is occupied due to this update in C:\DRIVERS folder. All of the folders inside DRIVERS contains setup files install & uninstall. Their names are : AMD_Chipset_APU, ASUS System Control Interface V2,...
  9. Deleting a Hidden Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting a Hidden Folder: I've just scanned an old hard drive using WinUtilities Undelete function and found a hidden folder as shown on the attached snip. I can't find any other way to access that folder and Winutilities Undelete only shows it and allows it to be copied. My question is how can I...
  10. strange issue with hidden folders/files

in Windows 10 Support
    strange issue with hidden folders/files: after online upgrade to win10 from w7 I have my users files on drive D: = a different physical HDD then the C: system files. The drive size is 75GB and it is showing 72GB used. The problem is I can only see 32GB in file explorer under properties. Whatever else is there is...