Windows 10: Strange, inert icon appearing on desktop

Discus and support Strange, inert icon appearing on desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Starting yesterday I found a small icon on my desktop. It floated above all windows, was unmovable, and didn't respond to mouse clicks. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by goldrich, Apr 9, 2017.

1. goldrich Win User

Strange, inert icon appearing on desktop

Starting yesterday I found a small icon on my desktop. It floated above all windows, was unmovable, and didn't respond to mouse clicks. When I rebooted, it was gone, but today I have the same problem -- with a different icon!

Here's what today's looks like:

Strange, inert icon appearing on desktop [​IMG]

How can I get rid of it?

Thanks --

-- Fred
    Dell laptop
    Windows 10 Home, Version 1607, Build 14393.953
    Intel Core 15, 4 GB RAM

:)

goldrich, Apr 9, 2017

2. How to get rid of "Play and Explore" panel. It caused my desktop icons to disappear.

All the icons on my desktop disappeared shortly after I installed Windows 10

All I see is an inert desktop with no icons. The cause seems to be "Play and Explore" and the other panel similar to it. which are on a layer above the desktop

I am stuck in one user. can not change user, even when restarting

The show tasks button disappeared and many other problems

Need to fix or revert to windows 7

Extremely frustrating

FrankChebib, Apr 9, 2017
  3. KBoyke Win User
    Desktop display shows background only

Hello,

I LOVE my Surface Pro 3!! Lately, however it has been asking strangely. Icons are no longer visible on my desktop. Swiping in from the left causes the icons to appear for a microsecond then they disappear.

I can still access all of my desktop applications from the desktop folder that is pinned to the task bar but I am concerned about not being able to see/use the icons directly.

There are no error messages on display.

KBoyke, Apr 9, 2017
  4. lmaneke Win User

Makes me wonder if you have an app that may be malfunctioning and causing the issue.

I would go to task manager, and click on the startup tab, and disable all the startup programs. Reboot and see if it appears. If it is gone, then start turning back on each program one at a time and reboot, basically a process of elimination.

If disabling all programs doesn't work, try creating another user profile and see if the same icon appears.

Odd issue.

lmaneke, Apr 10, 2017
  5. goldrich Win User
    This time, after rebooting, it hasn't yet come back. I'm keeping an eye on the desktop to try to pin down just what sets it off.

In the mean time, it would be great if someone just happened to recognize the icon!

Thanks for your help. I'll post a follow-up as the situation develops.

goldrich, Apr 10, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    It looks like a horizontal mini scroll bar, available in the 'virtual scrolling' settings for a Synaptics touchpad, for example...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-43c1fac6d079

7. goldrich Win User
    That's a great hint, thanks! My laptop has a Synaptics touch pad, but I prefer to use my mouse. From time to time I touch the keypad -- either for convenience, or by accident because it sits between me and the keyboard!

I'll keep an eye on that and see what I can figure out.

goldrich, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Strange, inert icon appearing on desktop - Similar Threads - Strange inert icon

2. Why do my Desktop icons appear so strange???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do my Desktop icons appear so strange???: Why do my Desktop icons appear like this every few days or whenever there is an update? Some look fuzzy and strange while other are almost non existent... just their titles remain...
  3. Why do my Desktop icons appear so strange???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do my Desktop icons appear so strange???: Why do my Desktop icons appear like this every few days or whenever there is an update? Some look fuzzy and strange while other are almost non existent... just their titles remain...
  4. No icons appear on desktop

No icons appear on desktop: Files don't appear on desktop but do in the desktop folder in the file explorer. The recycle bin icon turned into that gray rectangle at the top of the desktop that stretches the entire width of the screen. Icons don't appear in the desktop icon settings....
  5. Strange desktop icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange desktop icon: I bought a second monitor and when I adjusted the desktop I noticed a strange stain on the desktop, what is it ?? YOU TUBE- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEZH-UQjZV8...
  6. Strange icon keeps appearing on taskbar

Strange icon keeps appearing on taskbar: Hi, Just recently an icon keeps appearing on my taskbar, it's only there for a couple of seconds and then disappears. Can you tell me what it is? [ATTACH] Thanks...
  7. Strange Icon Appearing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange Icon Appearing: Hello, Recently I am seeing the icon appearing on my desktop when logging on after a restart/shutdown or period of inactivity, and I have never seen this before, does the community here know what it means, and more importantly how I can make it stop appearing. The icon...
  8. Strange icon appeared in taskbar

Strange icon appeared in taskbar: A strange item has appeared in my taskbar. When I click on it, it does nothing. It always has the line underneath which appears when a program is open. When I right-click it, the only option is close window. When I choose that nothing happens. Any clue what it may be? Thanks!...
  9. Desktop Icon - a strange one !!

Desktop Icon - a strange one !!: One of my desktop icons (gmail / shortcut) has always been a round red/yellow/green image. Something I have done*Redface has altered this to a blank white icon with a letter M in red upon it. Your ideas on how to get this back to 'normal' would be appreciated. Thanks in...
  10. Strange immovable icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange immovable icon on desktop: Suddenly a strange icon has appeared on the upper left of the desktop of my Surface. It's immovable, floats over all windows, and interferes with pretty well darn near everything I want to do (produce documents & deal with other paperwork about 98% of the time). There is no...