Windows 10: strange issue with hidden folders/files

Discus and support strange issue with hidden folders/files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; after online upgrade to win10 from w7 I have my users files on drive D: = a different physical HDD then the C: system files. The drive size is 75GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ruggb, Mar 20, 2016.

1. ruggb Win User

strange issue with hidden folders/files

after online upgrade to win10 from w7
    I have my users files on drive D: = a different physical HDD then the C: system files.
    The drive size is 75GB and it is showing 72GB used.
    The problem is I can only see 32GB in file explorer under properties. Whatever else is there is not showing.

I also noticed that a few icons on the desktop, do not appear in the desktop folder.
    If I D&D them to the desktop folder it then appears but the original is still not showing.
    the not showing ones have SYSTEM as owner. The D&D ones have me as owner.

The Download, documents, music, videos, pictures folders all appear in the file explorer quick access and libraries nav screen and there is only about 3GB in them - but they do not appear under Users\me - properties of users\me = 3GB
    properties of 1 other folder shows 29GB. == total 32GB

File explorer is set to show all folders/files - nothing hidden.

So where is the other 40GB???

:)

ruggb, Mar 20, 2016
  2. ChamBob Win User

User Folder from deleted account empty

It's a local account. And couldn't find any other folders. The strange thing is that the user folder does show up on the desktop like normal, just empty. No hidden files inside.

ChamBob, Mar 20, 2016
  3. BumperCM Win User
    Windows 10 Anniversary update - failing at 99% installed

Hi,

have just looked in the folder and there is no such files or subdirectories. Have ensured i set hidden files to be shown.

very strange.

Any ideas?

regards, colin

BumperCM, Mar 20, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

First, I would run Malwarebytes AntiMalware, then see the drive with Treesize (free) or similar. Also run checkdisk.
    You may have a mess, or some malware.

AndreTen, Mar 20, 2016
  5. RolandJS Win User
    One can also use Puppy Linux, usb or dvd boot, to, "from outside of Windows," see all available hard-drives and folders inside of said hard-drives, just to make sure everything exists in aok condition.

RolandJS, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. strange issue with hidden folders/files - Similar Threads - strange issue hidden

2. Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden: Hello,I have a situation where files that are newly added to a hidden folder which is temporarily unhidden so I can access it do not inherit the hidden property of the folder. In other words, the files are not automatically hidden. These files still show up in the Quick...
  3. Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden: Hello,I have a situation where files that are newly added to a hidden folder which is temporarily unhidden so I can access it do not inherit the hidden property of the folder. In other words, the files are not automatically hidden. These files still show up in the Quick...
  4. STRANGE FOLDER AND FILES

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    STRANGE FOLDER AND FILES: Today the Action Center on my PC advised me that my computer was running low on disk space. I found a folder on the C Drive named ”99p~5Xi4`}WiqJpb7_” that used up 464GB of space and contained 2343 Files. I have no idea what these files are about and am unable to read them....
  5. Strange files in the temporary folder?

Strange files in the temporary folder?: When I had just saved a file, I noticed an extremely large number of strange files in the Temporary File folder. They all have only one strange number/character combination and often no content at all. Many of them were also called mat-Debug and then a number. What is that?...
  6. Strange folder renaming issue

Strange folder renaming issue: I'm currently using Windows 10 pro fully updated, I have a shared drive, that 4 other PC's access We have a folder for completed jobs (job folders are named with last invoice number) And one for current jobs When moving job folders between the two Renaming the...
  7. search for hidden files & folders

search for hidden files & folders: I have studied the "Advanced Query Syntax" document at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa965711(v=vs.85).aspx but I cannot find an answer to this question: How do I SEARCH FOR (not just show) folders and files whose properties include as an attribute that the...
  8. Searching hidden files/folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching hidden files/folders: This is what I do: In explorer, browse to C:/Username Start a search there containing a folder name I know is in C:/Username/Appdata/Local The folder does not appear in search Hidden files and folders are marked to be visible everywhere. It seems like recursive search...
  9. Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted?: Hi, On my C root disk I have lots of strange hidden folders. Can they safely be deleted? They do not contain anything except a .log file in the $SysReset folder [img] 46920
  10. Hidden Files and Folders Help

in Windows 10 Support
    Hidden Files and Folders Help: Hi there. I have multiple hidden files on my computer. I am planning on downloading Windows 10 sometime soon. But I was wondering if I did, would I have to re-hide my currently hidden files and folders? (By the way I am currently running Windows 8.1) Any help would be...