Windows 10: Strange issue with old ACER laptop (Vista era)

Discus and support Strange issue with old ACER laptop (Vista era) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have just reformatted an old ACER laptop (Vista era) which had w7 installed on it. It has got 3GB of DDR2 RAM. For some weird reason I cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by eLPuSHeR, Sep 30, 2020.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

Strange issue with old ACER laptop (Vista era)

I have just reformatted an old ACER laptop (Vista era) which had w7 installed on it.

It has got 3GB of DDR2 RAM.

For some weird reason I cannot install x86 version on it because Windows Installer keeps shutting down and restarting the machine.

x64 version seems to be installing just fine.

I love those Phoenix BIOSes where you had video and system BIOS SHADOWED.

:)

eLPuSHeR, Sep 30, 2020
  2. TAU
    Tau Win User

Acer Laptops :are they crap ?

Acer makes a cheap prodcut period. They user lower end plastics, as well as assembly. (I hate working on Acer laptops)

If budget is an issue then get an acer... though for $50 more you could get a gateway that will smoke the acer in terms of quality.

For a laptop though i would suggest one of the DV7T's from HP or a Business class Toshiba/HP/IBM (not the lenovo branded, the Thinkpads)

3. Suupala Win User
    Disk boot failure after removing old Vista partition

Thank you for the reply, muchomurka! As I indicated in my post, I have already tried all the steps you suggested to no avail:

- I cannot choose startup repair since the computer does not boot from the installation media
    - I cannot use command prompt since the computer does not boot further than the POST screen
    - I have disconnected and tried out all hard drives individually.

Since I had Win 10 up and running a few hours ago, I can say with 100% certainty that none of the hardware is faulty.

The real mystery is, how come the system won't boot from any media without an empty disk containing an old Vista boot sector being on top of the boot priority list? And which steps to take now that I've cleaned this disk and it does not exist anymore?

Would appreciate any ideas and pointers!

Suupala, Sep 30, 2020
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

Strange issue with old Toshiba Laptop

This is a Crystal Disk Info capture I have made when I was trying to do a MR image for the second time. It keeps failing on me with some weird read error issue. I am using a different program (AOMEI Backupper) and it seems to work just right.

Strange issue with old ACER laptop (Vista era) [​IMG]

eLPuSHeR, Sep 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Strange issue with old ACER laptop (Vista era) - Similar Threads - Strange issue old

2. Vista Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vista Issues: I recently upgraded from windows xp to windows Vista on my Dell inspiron e1505. I have connected to my wireless network but internet explorer cannot display web pages.i also tried every possible way of activation for the computer, but none are working. Is there any fix to...
  3. Vista Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Vista Issues: I recently upgraded from windows xp to windows Vista on my Dell inspiron e1505. I have connected to my wireless network but internet explorer cannot display web pages.i also tried every possible way of activation for the computer, but none are working. Is there any fix to...
  4. Acer laptop internet issue

Acer laptop internet issue: I have a problem with my browser, when I download apps on Microsoft edge I get an error of a blue circle with an "i" in it on the downloading arrow and the app fails to download, please assist....
  5. Old vista laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old vista laptop: So I was given an old windows vista laptop that supposedly is in good condition. Unfortunately, they could not remember the password and I haven't been able to get logged in. If I were to buy windows 10 installation, would it wipe it clean with an install so I can start over....
  6. Bluetooth issues on an acer laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bluetooth issues on an acer laptop: I just got a new acer laptop. Whenever i connect my Bluetooth earphones within about 5-10 mins the earphones stop playing audio. its still connected but it just stops playing any sound. I always have to troubleshoot the Bluetooth every 10 mins for it to work and the image...
  7. Slots Era

Slots Era: Slots Era will neither install or close to allow me to complete the jigsaw. I have uninstalled and reinstalled but no difference. This app has a problem. Can anyone help please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slots-era/d2fe788a-e5b5-4c82-9870-ee963018d9c1
  8. Strange issue with old Toshiba Laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange issue with old Toshiba Laptop: Hello. i have one Toshiba Laptop that every now and them has the hard drive LED stuck (as if using disk at 100%) and then hard disk dissappears for good (not detected) until PC is powered off and it's left that way for a while. I checked SMART values and health was ok. I did...
  9. Compatibility issues with XP-era and earlier games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Compatibility issues with XP-era and earlier games: I replaced my son's museum-piece PC (running XP and purchased in 2007, and somehow no problems, ever, with it) this week with an all-in-one Windows 10 one. He went from having the worst/oldest computer in the house, to having the newest. The only weak link is that he had...
  10. Issue with logging in on to old laptop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Issue with logging in on to old laptop: Here is the deal. Long time ago (6 months or so) I installed windows 10 on my old laptop. Today I accidentally locked my stuff (new laptop, everything) at the office, so decided to go home and use my old laptop for work. However, I have already updated my windows profile with...