Windows 10: Strange Key Problem. Curious.

Discus and support Strange Key Problem. Curious. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Dell Venu 8 Pro Tablet. Came with Windows 7. Updated to 8, then 8.1. Then 10. I downloaded Magical Jellybean Key Finder to get my key and saved it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by milford, Jun 22, 2017.

1. milford Win User

Strange Key Problem. Curious.

Dell Venu 8 Pro Tablet. Came with Windows 7. Updated to 8, then 8.1. Then 10. I downloaded Magical Jellybean Key Finder to get my key and saved it. During a screw up, I ended up resetting my tablet to 8.1. Tried ShowKeyPlus. Got a different key. Just ran the Media Creation Tool. Got Windows Creator Edition. Ran ShowKeyPlus again. Now I have a third key. All different??
    Shouldn't the keys be the same?
    I have a CD key...
    Installed key...OEM key, same...
    Installed key...Original key...OEM key. Installed key different from the other two.
    Which one is right?

:)

milford, Jun 22, 2017
  2. patc---01 Win User

N95 pictures are bad?

The curious thing is that the "purple sky" problem was with what is believed to be a production model while the pre-production model RobertH tested had no such issue.

Very strange.

patc---01, Jun 22, 2017
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    windows 10 pro wouldnt allow installtion of any program

Hi Dave: I'm curious to hear if your reg fixes the problem for Sherif. It it strange. You say this is a common problem. But I've only heard of it a few times, all this week on this forum. That script is quite involved, how did you come up with it?

Rohn007, Jun 22, 2017
  4. Superfly Win User

It is strange that you have an OEM key on a PC that originally had Windows 7 unless that was an OEM downgraded PC.

Post a screenshot... and we'll see what's what...

PS: Have you run each key thru' "Check.." to get their respective editions?

Superfly, Jun 22, 2017
  5. 51sandman Win User
    I have 2 desktops and 2 laptops with Windows 10 on them and they all have the same key when using key finder!

51sandman, Jun 22, 2017
  6. milford Win User

milford, Jun 22, 2017
  7. Hydrate Win User
    Try posting a screenshot from this key program called ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server

EDIT: Obviously blurring out parts of your serial keys.

I prefer to use this tool when determining my keys.

Since you have a CD key, my theory is that your computer will report a different key each time because it is a separate license from the OEM key, which is normal.

It will not use your OEM key, and it will use your CD upgrade key.

You have an OEM key. Windows 8 key. Windows 10 key from the CD you purchased.

It makes sense... Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Hydrate, Jun 22, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

Berton, Jun 22, 2017
  9. Hydrate Win User
    After doing some research, (Why you can't find your product key after upgrading to Windows 10 | PCWorld) it seems that when you upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows 7 free upgrade update, or GWX, then your Windows 10 license transforms to a digital entitlement license meaning the key you find from your key finder is one of many generic keys that you will find for all Windows 10 installation upgrades.

I believe this is the answer to your question.

Hydrate, Jun 22, 2017
  10. milford Win User
    Thanks, I think. What you missed, is that this is a "DELL" Tablet. Windows already installed on Tablet. No CD/DVD came with it. Magical Jellybean Key Finder identified the "CD" key. ShowKey is identifying everything else. As long as one of these works if and when I need it, I'll be happy.

milford, Jun 23, 2017
  11. milford Win User
    • P.S. Produkey is showing me a BIOS OEM key and a Windows 10 Home key. Both different.
    • Mabe I should quit while I'm ahead.

milford, Jun 23, 2017
  12. Hydrate Win User
    It's not about quitting while you're ahead. It's about learning what you've come across so far!

Essentially, once you've upgraded Windows 7 to X using the Get Windows X promotion for free, your license key for Windows 7 is converted into a digital entitlement license meaning it's not a real product key and is activated digitally using a new activation system.

Keep track of your Windows 7 key and try not to downgrade from Windows X again, or you can possibly run into complications with a potential downgrade/upgrade activation nightmare. It sounds like you are on Windows X currently, so, if you run into any issues, let us know.

This is why you are seeing different product keys.

Hydrate, Jun 23, 2017
  13. Berton Win User

I apologize in advance but I just have to disagree with the use of Windows X [which I've not seen used elsewhere]. Properly it is Windows 10. Even Apple has gone away from using X in their Macintosh OS/Operating System formerly OS X most likely to eliminate the confusion with 10, now their latest is macOS Sierra which coincidentally I am using to reply to this.

Berton, Jun 23, 2017
  14. Hydrate Win User
    Haha, I thought it's a little something special I could deviate away from the norm.

Honestly, my apologies if I caused you any disharmony. I like that you pointed it out! I'll just let it be a me thing.

I hope this is not off topic. I prefer to use X since I do not have to find the 1 and 0 respectively, I like roman numerals, and Microsoft had no problems cramming it down my Windows 7 install...

Strange Key Problem.  Curious. [​IMG]

Hydrate, Jun 23, 2017
  15. Berton Win User
    No disharmony, it's just that computing is all about precise/accurate terminology. Case in point, look at how bad/ridiculous texting has become.

Berton, Jun 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Strange Key Problem. Curious. - Similar Threads - Strange Key Problem

2. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange Problem: The strangest thing just happened, I was trying to go into a zoom meeting but every time I clicked on the link, I got a download instead of new window to take me to the meeting. A moment later, I tried to copy the zoom link only to realize that the keyboard had stopped...
  3. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange Problem: The strangest thing just happened, I was trying to go into a zoom meeting but every time I clicked on the link, I got a download instead of new window to take me to the meeting. A moment later, I tried to copy the zoom link only to realize that the keyboard had stopped...
  4. Curious

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Curious: I've been having issues for about a month with my windows 10 on the activation side. I've been getting help through tech support and they got me an ISO to install. My question is - can I still use the key that came pre-installed on my comp, or do I have to go and strike up...
  5. Strange problem of the sometimes broken key.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange problem of the sometimes broken key.: I can't for the life of me figure this out. My Acer laptop recently stopped recognizing its C key entirely. I assumed the issue was hardware until the other day when I noticed it works fine in minecraft still. I can type c all day there no problem. Any idea what causes this...
  6. Printing: not a problem-just curious

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printing: not a problem-just curious: My hp 3050 j610 series printer is connected by wireless home network to 2 laptops. Although I can print from either laptop without any problem when I go into Settings>Printers both laptops show the printer as Default (correctly) but "not connected " which is obviously not...
  7. Curious

in Windows 10 Support
    Curious: This is a pic of my drive can someone please in simple language atel me what the partitions contain - I have a rough idea but would appreciate knowing what they are 118689
  8. Curious...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Curious...: I'm waiting to see if the new users of Windows 9 still get themselves into trouble as they did with all the other Windows OS's. *Tongue Hopefully, {some} have learned through time, to be vigilant about security. *Wink 1755
  9. Curious

in Windows 10 Support
    Curious: I just read on here that after 30 days when upgrading from 7 to 10 all the 7 files will be deleted, is that true? I created my 2nd drive just to upgrade so don't really care if 7 is deleted unless it creates problems. How I actually got Win 10 to upgrade from 7 I'm not...
  10. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Problem: I noticed a strange issue with my PC today. I am running Win 10 Pro (64 bit) and after I restarted my PC today, I observed the following things: 1. Some of the icons are missing on the taskbar. There used to be icons for Store, Calculator, Edge on my taskbar. 2. I also...