Windows 10: strange laptop behaviour after major update

Discus and support strange laptop behaviour after major update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I installed Win 10 pro for a friend and the install went fine. It checked for updates and did KB3194623, 3197099 and 3176937 (one said upgrade) When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by spottydog10, Dec 22, 2016.

1. strange laptop behaviour after major update

I installed Win 10 pro for a friend and the install went fine.
    It checked for updates and did KB3194623, 3197099 and 3176937 (one said upgrade)
    When it rebooted, the WIn 10 logo showed for a bit then there was just a blank screen no matter how long I waited.
    The only way I could get it to boot was to hold down the power button for a couple of sec until it went into hibernate mode then woke it and it logged in fine.
    It does this every time I boot the laptop.
    WTF is going on here?*Smile

:)

spottydog10, Dec 22, 2016
  2. BenBowles Win User

Windows 10 keeps closing programs. How can I fix this?

Hi there,

I am having the same issue on my fathers laptop after updating to Windows 10 from 8.1. Its a Lenovo B50-30 system

The Shutdown appears and disappears randomly sometime multiple times in succession and if I open folders or windows it will close them after around 10-15 seconds by itself.

Very strange behaviour.....

BenBowles, Dec 22, 2016
  3. ivanb45 Win User
    Nokia 500

Strange but after charging my phone - nokia 500, show me a message to disconnect only after disconnection, not after a full charge.

I don't understand this behaviour !

ivanb45, Dec 22, 2016
  4. strange laptop behaviour after major update

Another bit of information.
    If I do a cold boot it loads up fine, if I do a restart it exhibits the above behaviour.
    Also if connect it via hdmi to my tv after a restart the screen comes up on the tv but not laptop...

spottydog10, Dec 22, 2016
  5. There are some smart people on this forum, nobody got a clue on this?

spottydog10, Dec 25, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    simrick, Dec 25, 2016
  7. Helmut Win User
    Don't demand quick answers, that will put people off bothering with you.

"Also if connect it via hdmi to my tv after a restart the screen comes up on the tv but not laptop..."
    Windows is remembering the last hardware configuration and so starts up with just the external monitor. Obviously you change to the Laptop screen before shutting down, or switch off/unplug the external monitor.

"The only way I could get it to boot was to hold down the power button for a couple of sec until it went into hibernate mode then woke it and it logged in fine."

Go to the Power Options > Choose what the power button does. There are several choices there.
    You may require a system driver from the Laptop manufacturer, sometimes via Windows updates. You should have such already downloaded and stored away on a drivers disc/USB key or whatever.
    Check the Device Manager to see whether all drivers have been installed.

Helmut, Dec 25, 2016
  8. strange laptop behaviour after major update

Interesting ! At least there is another Pro system that has the same problem like mine. I did start a thread about this issue when I first noticed it KB3194496 - Soft Re-start Issues I have no solution, since there has been 2 Cumulative updates that Fixed the problem and there have been 3 cumulative updates that re-introduced this problem since I built this system this past July. I assume it's a BUG ! since my other W10 system is a HOME version and never has had this problem.

storageman, Dec 25, 2016
  9. Simrick, I tried turning off the the Fast startup to no avail, thanks.
    Storageman, I think your on the right track, it was after an update that this problem happened, cheers mate.

spottydog10, Dec 25, 2016
  10. Storageman, I also tried the Win Enterprise version of 10 and had the same issues so it's not just Pro.

spottydog10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

strange laptop behaviour after major update

1. strange laptop behaviour after major update - Similar Threads - strange laptop behaviour

2. Windows optional update and strange behaviour

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows optional update and strange behaviour: OS: Windows 10, version 2004 Japanese Browser Firefox updated Drivers updated Windows updated. Since the auto Window update to version 2004 I was facing some problems but now I have noticed after Optional program update I see various suggestions appears on screen. No...
  3. Strange behaviour

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Strange behaviour: I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have a very strange thing happening with my computer. My monitor will just all of a sudden go black, then a message saying "no signal". My computer does no power down or restart, but at the same time I can do nothing with...
  4. Skype's strange behaviour

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Skype's strange behaviour: Win 10 Pro now ver 1909 build 18363.720 I have used Skype over different OS and got the latest version when I installed 10 over a year ago. It didn't work well as an App, so I adopted the Desktop version when prompted a few months later. Since then it has been working OK but...
  5. Strange modem behaviour after 1803

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange modem behaviour after 1803: OS Windows 10 HomeSpeedport Internet Modem. Before 1803. A) Modem through a USB 'dongle' on PC. Everything o/k, could select Auto or Manual internet start by right clicking on the internet icon (bottom right on task bar). Skype however was very bad with broken vid and sound....
  6. Store update strange behaviour

Store update strange behaviour: So a little earlier I did my usual routine of boot pc and open store app. I always manually check for updates to apps. One come up for store app itself. I clicked update but rather than do its normal close the store app and re launch on completion store app stayed open. In...
  7. Strange update behaviour

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Strange update behaviour: I have two PC's, my wife's and my own, both upgraded on line from 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. The only difference is that my wife's PC is 32-bit and mine is 64-bit. Yesterday, my wife called me to say that something strange happened when she booted her PC and that it was now...
  8. Strange signin behaviour

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Strange signin behaviour: I changed my Windows signin to a 4 digit login, which works fine.... today i I noticed there were two signin options for my user account , exactly the same name, plus one other I have for a family member. i chose one of ' my' accounts and it asked for a password, I tried...
  9. Cortana's Strange Behaviour After Creator's Edition Update

Cortana's Strange Behaviour After Creator's Edition Update: Hi all, Since the Creator's Update, Cortana has been behaving strangely on my machine. Specifically, when asking Cortana to launch programs, and even more specifically when there are several possible options. So, with Skype, just to take one example, the conversation USED...
  10. Strange behaviour from my laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange behaviour from my laptop: My laptop was working fine yesterday, turned on today to do the ' creator' update......but advised no internet connection....checked the Ethernet cable & ok, but wifi connections window not there, found that flight mode was enabled ??? And worst of all I can't switch it off....