Windows 10: Strange Local Search Results

Discus and support Strange Local Search Results in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have only had this laptop for three months, which came with Windows 10 home pre-installed. Using the Search box next to the Start icon at the bottom... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by theoldfarter, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Strange Local Search Results

I have only had this laptop for three months, which came with Windows 10 home pre-installed.

Using the Search box next to the Start icon at the bottom left of the screen, the search results show files (photos, videos, documents) from well before I bought this laptop. For example January 2019.

By the names of the files, I realize that they are all from an external Hard Drive that I have been using for years.

Three questions:
    1. How can this Laptop show the name of a file, that has been accessed seventeen months before by my previous Laptop? (that Laptop was sent back for repair, after I had done a Factory Restore, but was deemed unrepairable).

2. How can I delete that type of history so that when I put in the same search words, those previous results will not be shown?

3. How can I stop this from happening in the future, when I connect an external Hard Drive?

:)

theoldfarter, Sep 3, 2020

2. Local Search Results Poor

Hello,

I live in Birmingham in the UK. With the "Search and Browser Language" set to "English UK", the Local search results are hit and miss. Here's what I've noticed:

• Sometimes searches for restaurants, stores, attractions, hospitals around Birmingham return no search results unless the destination name is qualified with a descriptor: Purnell''s = no results, but Purnell's Restaurant = result.
    • Searches outside of Birmingham, return no results even when the city is specified: London Eye, Big Ben London, St Thomas' Hospital London, Thorpe Park = no result. Alton Towers = no result, Alton Towers Resort = result.
    • Searching for all of the above using Bing Maps on the desktop returns correct results
    • Setting the "Search and Browser Language" to "English Ireland" finds all searches outside of Birmingham and the majority of searches within Birmingham. I noticed, however, that the search results page says "Results by Nokia" as opposed to the "Results by
      Bing" when English UK is selected. However, I lose the "Local Scout" and "Music Search" buttons on the search page when "English Ireland" is selected.
    • Bizarrely, neither Bing nor Nokia can find Stonehenge! No problems finding it on
      www.here.net and Bing Maps on my notebook though.
    Having to second guess how points of interest are to be searched for is tiring.

• Why doesn't Bing just return the same results on my phone as it does on my notebook? Is there something I can do about this?
    • Since Nokia's results are clearly superior (at least in my case), is there any way to ask for Nokia Local results instead of Bing? Apart of course from just launching Nokia Maps.
    • Why aren't Bing and Nokia's Points of Interest databases just combined?
    I tested all the above scenarios with Google Maps. It found everything I was looking for with/without the city specified, with/without descriptors and with typos! Any advice on how I can get anything close to this functionality would be greatly appreciated.

Ahmed

Ahmed Mesbah, Sep 3, 2020
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    Turn Off Web Search Results When Searching My Computer

Hi,

If you are pertaining to the Cortana search web results, you can disable it and improve local search results. Follow the steps below to disable web results:

• Click the search bar.
    • Select the Notebook icon on the left pane of the search bar.
    • From the options, select Settings. (Note: On the later versions of Windows, the Settings button might be outside the Notebook icon.)
    • On the Settings, toggle the Cortana gives me suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option to
      Off.
    • On the lower part, turn off the Search online and included web results option as well.

See the image as reference to the above steps:

Strange Local Search Results 7c9e0858-2114-462b-b171-63b6e7d3089d.jpg

After doing the steps, try using search again and see if the web results will now disappear.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post your query anytime.

Anne Ros, Sep 3, 2020
  4. Strange Local Search Results

Missing search results after Windows 10 Upgrade

Hello I tried these exact steps and I still do not get search results.

Is there anything that can become "corrupted" with "search permissions" as the troubleshooter suggested.

It is strange that this is only happening with the "Documents" folder that I have changed locations to another drive.

LukeD432345, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

Strange Local Search Results

1. Strange Local Search Results - Similar Threads - Strange Local Search

2. Since a recent update the local explorer search results are degraded.

in Cortana
    Since a recent update the local explorer search results are degraded.: The local search results e.g. upon [windows] [search string] are displayed as usual in the start menu, but when I click on one file and select "open storage location" I get only windows-explorer showing the disk at root. When I select "copy the full path" it copies nothing....
  3. no cortana search results

in Cortana
    no cortana search results: no cortana search results https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-cortana-search-results/a8802319-d2a3-432d-a63b-cd0b4a5885c2
  4. Search Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Results: When I search my Documents directory, I often get results from .css, .js etc when really all I want are folders, .html, .pdf How to I stop the .css, .js files appearing in the search results? I know I can apply filters afterwards but having to do so when all I want to do...
  5. Strange white Blank Search result (start menu)

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange white Blank Search result (start menu): Strange white Blank Search result (start menu) Hi all, when i push the win button and type to search for an app or anything i get this result. i have restarted explorer.exe and completed these steps here: Cortana not finding Desktop apps when searching for them -...
  6. strange Google Chrome search results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    strange Google Chrome search results: Hello folks, I recently upgraded my desktop from Win 7 to Win 10 (clean install) but I think that's irrelevant to the issue I'm having. My search results in Google Chrome using Google search look strange (see attachment). When I perform the search on the same machine in...
  7. Creation tool and strange results

in Windows 10 Support
    Creation tool and strange results: okay so I have a PC windows 10 Pro updated to creator everything was fine. except I wanted to run things on a ssd, it has a HD, this a small form machine so it only holds 1 hd or 2 ssds, wanted to get as much speed as possible. I decided to use the Creator tool, put in...
  8. Google making search results more local and relevant

in Windows 10 News
    Google making search results more local and relevant: When you’re searching on Google, we aim to provide the most useful results for your query. Today, around one in five searches on Google is related to location, so providing locally relevant search results is an essential part of serving you the most accurate information....
  9. Search not showing results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not showing results: Hi. Anyone know how to fix the search function in Windows 10? It's not showing any results. So far I already tried the following but to no avail. Rebuild indexing, scannow cmd, chdsk /r,. 10886
  10. Can't get local search results on one machine (only web results)

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't get local search results on one machine (only web results): Hi folks. New to forum :-). Yesterday I upgraded two Dell laptops and my desktop machine to Windows 10. I am really liking it so far. But I have two things I can't seem to resolve: 1. Search - On my two Dell laptops if I search for, say, User Account Control, at the top of...