Windows 10: Strange looking drive letter in Windows Firewall

Discus and support Strange looking drive letter in Windows Firewall in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently replaced my old SSD drive with a bigger one to get some well-needed extra space. I used a program called AOMEI Backupper for the task. It... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by WebMaximus, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Strange looking drive letter in Windows Firewall

I recently replaced my old SSD drive with a bigger one to get some well-needed extra space. I used a program called AOMEI Backupper for the task.

It all went well but one thing I noticed afterwards is how I've had to allow applications residing on one of the partitions of the new disk through the Windows Firewall again. Even when I already did that a long time ago.

When I checked the rules, I quickly realized why this is. For whatever reason, the path for any application residing on this particular partition and asking for allowance through the firewall, results in this weird path (or drive letter rather) when it gets added to the rules list.

Elsewhere, it looks all normal including Windows Explorer, Windows Disk Management etc.

I've already asked the AOMEI guys the same thing but haven't heard back from them yet and I also figured it might be good asking in here as well. This since I'm not sure if it's a pure AOMEI issue or more of a general Windows issue you can encounter regardless what cloning software you're using to close one SSD to another one such as in my case.

FYI, there are 2 partitions on the cloned disk. A system partition for Windows 10 Pro called C and a second data partition called assigned the drive letter F. The second one is the one causing this issue. I've tried removing rules for some of the applications on the system (C) partition and then have them re-added by running the application. No issues there, the path will start with C:\ just like you would expect. So this issue is just for the data partition.

Really odd and I don't get why this happens only for the Windows Firewall and not elsewhere.

Below is a screenshot showing this. Where you can see how the partition of the disk assigned F: instead is called D:0 in the Windows Firewall while it's correctly named in Windows Explorer for example. Edited to clarify, looking at the screenshot and the rules, those added by x-plane.exe are newly added. Where this weird drive letter is seen. The two ones below by CLS2Sim are old rules added before all this started. Where the drive letter is correctly F: instead of this weird looking D:0

Strange looking drive letter in Windows Firewall [​IMG]

Many thanks in advance for any help!

:)

WebMaximus, Aug 11, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Aug 11, 2020
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Strange Value Drive

Hi Chiranjit,

It seems that this particular drive was not assigned a drive letter (for eg: drive H: or drive DStrange looking drive letter in Windows Firewall :) and hence it is displayed as with such a label. May we know if you have made any changes to your computer prior to this issue? I would suggest you to go to
    disk management tool and assign a letter to this drive. Refer to these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Disk
      management.
    • Locate the drive with the label shown in the image.
    • Right click on that drive and select Change drive letter and paths.
    • Now select the drive and click on the change button.
    • Select assign the following drive letter and choose a drive letter that hasn’t been assigned to any other drive.
    • Click Ok to save changes.

Now check if the drive is listed in File Explorer and if you are able to access its contents.

Update us with the results so we can further assist you.

Eric Ber, Aug 11, 2020
  4. Strange looking drive letter in Windows Firewall

Best free AV and firewall

Can Windows Firewall block outgoing connections yet? If not, it's one step above useless.

Look into Online Armor for a free firewall.

Deusxmachina, Aug 11, 2020
Thema:

Strange looking drive letter in Windows Firewall

1. Strange looking drive letter in Windows Firewall - Similar Threads - Strange looking drive

2. Strange behavior Windows 10 firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange behavior Windows 10 firewall: I have written a tcp client application which shall create a connection to a unix system. I have following strange behavior with activated firewall on windows 10: Thats what I can see in wireshark: My software on Win10 starts the TCP Connection request with a SYN. the unix...
  3. Chinese lettering in windows defender firewall

Chinese lettering in windows defender firewall: I found those Chinese writings and I don't understand what they are, much less how to remove them can you help me? the computer does not detect threats and does not find those entries on the disk [ATTACH]...
  4. Windows Apps looking strange

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Apps looking strange: [img] I somehow managed to make my Windows Apps look strange: Explorer, Settings.... Has someone a clue what setting i have actived and how to turn it back to default? 167186
  5. strange numeric letters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    strange numeric letters: have tried to open a saved document under wordpad. when opening it it shows up as numeric and special charecters. what happened https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-numeric-letters/a8b13dd8-7abf-47b3-8841-5f2740a28a30
  6. Windows Firewall and odd looking paths showing D:0\ instead of drive letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Firewall and odd looking paths showing D:0\ instead of drive letter: A couple of days ago, I replaced my SSD with a bigger one. On the disk, I had two partitions - one 100 GB for Windows C: and one 400 GB for other stuff F:. To replace the disk, I used a tool called AOMEI Backupper which comes with a disk cloning feature. The cloning...
  7. Strange looking windows [Solved]

Strange looking windows [Solved]: Hi, I had this problem with windows since i restarted it, all the windows have a strange looking border and sign, i will add a photo so you can get what i mean! Can anyone tell me how to fix it? [ATTACH]...
  8. Strange looking windows

Strange looking windows: Hi, I had this problem with windows since i restarted it, all the windows have a strange looking border and sign, i will add a photo so you can get what i mean! [ATTACH]...
  9. Windows 10 firewall on looking to map a drive to the computer c drive.

Windows 10 firewall on looking to map a drive to the computer c drive.: Hello, I have windows 10 computers with the firewall turned of for all networks. One of the things that I am trying to find out is how to allow mapping by admins. I would like to do it through group policy for all computers in the agency. Anyone know. Also if you know how...
  10. Looking For A Firewall

Looking For A Firewall: Im looking for a paid/free firewall that you can block all network activity from the taskbar. Anyone know of any? 119293

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender firewall drive letter