Windows 10: Strange message at restart and shutdown...

Discus and support Strange message at restart and shutdown... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit system, updated from Windows 8.1 about two weeks ego, wired connection assigned to a workgroup. The system works just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cr00zng, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Cr00zng Win User

Strange message at restart and shutdown...

I have a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit system, updated from Windows 8.1 about two weeks ego, wired connection assigned to a workgroup. The system works just fine with one exception. At the time of restart/shutdown, the system may display the following message:
    This message is more prevalent, if the restart/shutdown initiated right after login, or even prior to login, but shows up after 8-10 using the system and initiating a shutdown. My knee-jerk reaction was that the system has some malware, but had not been able to locate any. Admittedly, it does not mean the system has none...
    Actions taken so far:
    • Scan system with Viper, Malwarebytes and Emisoft security software, came up empty
    • Scan system off-line via Kaspersky and BitDefender, came up empty
    Disconnecting the PC from the network, for the purpose of eliminating remote connections to the PC, did not make the message go away. Evidently, this is a local logon by some process and/or scheduled task.
    The disabled UIDs are:

• Adminstrator
    • DefaultAccount
    • WDAGUtilityAccount
    The enabled UIDs are:

• UID1, standard user account
    • UID2, standard user account
    • UID3, local administarator account
    The message is coming from the file named "authui.dll":
    Windows 10 DLL File Information - authui.dll
    Reviewing the security event did not show any unknown account and the Task Scheduler shows mainly Windows scheduled tasks, with a few third-party application schedules.
    Reinstalling windows isn't really an option, one of the reasons for the update is to preserve the application and user data.
    Does anyone have an idea what triggers this message and how to get rid of it?
    TIA...

:)

Cr00zng, Dec 12, 2017
  2. walby Win User

Error Message at shutdown or restart

these messages when I shutdown or restart the computer

680000cf-10d3-4ad047-9e02d4b44362 This app is preventing you from restarting

G

This app is preventing you from restarting

Do I need to worry about this ?

And can I fix it?

Alby

walby, Dec 12, 2017
  3. Error Message at shutdown or restart

Nielsen online application.

No need to worry. Ignore it.

Mysteron347, Dec 12, 2017
  4. Strange message at restart and shutdown...

From Task Manager click Users tab, make sure your user account is the only user account that is login if there are any other user accounts disconnect them by right clicking user account and select Disconnect.

FreeBooter, Dec 12, 2017
  5. EdTittel Win User
    I've noticed that even if a remote session isn't active when I log out, sometimes just having run one while I've been logged in is enough to provoke that message when I log out or restart. And for sure, an active RDP session at that time will also provoke that message.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 12, 2017
  6. Cr00zng Win User
    Thank you for the suggestions...

There are no other user accounts, only the "UID1, standard account" logged on to the system when checked.

The RDP connections are disabled to this system, one of the first possible source I've looked at.

I am not certain, if having the Windows Firewall Control on the system may have something to do with this? A number of Windows processes are blocked, for example:

And so on...

These are no issues with not allowing connections, the system runs just fine. Other than some errors are being generated in the event viewer about the lack of connectivity....

The Current Ports utility only shows known connections, in an other word, all connections are verified to the applications and the process path. There's no "unknown" connections...

Cr00zng, Dec 12, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    @Cr00zng, it's probably not malware.

The Fall Creators Update (1709) quietly introduced a new feature such that certain apps that are capable of registering for the service will be reopened at the next boot. Apparently this can sometimes have the effect that other users that were signed in at shutdown will be 'pre-signed in' at the next start up, causing the message you have seen.

on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before

Logout warning "Someone else is still using this pc"

8. EdTittel Win User

Great explanation, Bree: nice work in connecting those dots. We who follow the forums have known about this more or less since FCU emerged, but I hadn't really stopped to think that such 'pre-signed in' services would register on par with user accounts. Makes perfect sense when you do (stop to think, that is ;-).
    Thanks again,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 12, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Yes, it seems that after the FCU some configurations report several users logged in after a restart, as in my second link and this one. I haven't been able to reproduce this myself, so haven't been able to diagnose further. The next release of Windows 10 (1803?) is apparently going to have a way to turn this feature off.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...SEUrvYxoVKQ.97

In the mean time, turning off 'Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting my device after an update or restart' for each of the 'stealth' users may help.

10. Cr00zng Win User
    After all of the testing and feedback on this forum, I am convinced that it is not malware; it is a "feature"...

Your statements and links make a lot of sense, thanks...

On the other hand, the FCU changes make no sense; it has limited value and will cause "knee-jerk" reactions. At least for people, who pay attention to messages. At the very least, MS should have more descriptive message, instead of just a generic multiple user logon message. Oh well, there are more processes to block either by the firewall, or just stop starting up...

Thank you for the replies guys and galls....

Cr00zng, Dec 12, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    Yes, a lot of people have been upset by this unannounced new 'feature' - hence the partial backtrack by Microsoft starting with the Insider build 17040. Hopefully this 'fix' (or something like it) will make its way into the next public release in April.

In the mean time, you can shut down or restart the 'traditional' way by clicking on the desktop and using the Alt+F4 menu which should eliminate the 'extra users' problem at the next boot.

12. Cr00zng Win User
    Good advise that will work in most cases, but...

This system is imaged every night, the Alt+F4 is really not an option...

Cr00zng, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Strange message at restart and shutdown... - Similar Threads - Strange message restart

2. Strange message on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange message on startup: Hello, I have my Windows 11 updated, but for a few days when I start the system, the popup appears to select a program to open a file, without me doing anything; When I select Notepad to see what it is, the following appears, which seems to me to be a Log file, how can I...
  3. Strange message printed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange message printed: I have an Epson ET-2650 printer. It is attached to a BMAX M-3 Plus minicomputer which I had just installed a new 512GB SSD drive to and installed Windows 11 Pro. The following printout was started un-announced, without prompting on my part. It seems to have come over the...
  4. OneDrive strange message

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive strange message: Hi, I have a strange message when open OneDrive: Let this app access your info? App info Microsoft SkyDrive needs your permission to: Access OneDrive files Have full access to your contacts You can change these permissions at https://microsoft.com/consent. Show...
  5. Program Manager running message on shutdown or restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Program Manager running message on shutdown or restart: This has only started in the past week. Program manager??? is running in the background I'm told when trying to shut down or restart. At first it was intermittently and now it's happening more often. I have not installed any new programs and don't know why this is happening....
  6. Strange message

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Strange message: Hi, When I open windows 10 version 2004. It take too long time to open. Before update It was fast only 3 minutes or less. Now, It takes 10 minutes or more! Also I see discoverd message then that strange message [ATTACH] I tried sfc scan but same problem Not every...
  7. Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart: Event log shows windows update causing a restart: The process C:\Windows\System32\usocoreworker.exe MILESTONE-JB has initiated the restart of computer MILESTONE-JB on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack Planned Reason...
  8. Strange message

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange message: Every few weeks this message pops up on my screen. It locks up my system and I'm not able to do anything else, except click one of it's buttons. It looks suspicions so I just power down my computer which is running Windows 10. When I start the computer up again everything is...
  9. Strange Behavior of Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Behavior of Shutdown: Just recently I've been experiencing strange behavior whenever I shutdown. These events happen seemingly randomly: 1. It says Shutting Down, the progress circle is moving, but it never shuts down and the Shutting Down screen stays that way for hours. I have to hold the...
  10. Shutdown slow and strange

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown slow and strange: Just upgraded (via Windows Update) from Win 7 Pro to Windows 10. Upgrade generally went smoothly, but.... My PC now shuts down very slowly and oddly. The screen and keyboard turn off normally, in a few seconds, but the system box (fans, etc.) remain on for about 2-3 minutes...