Windows 10: Strange messages at startup and shut down

Discus and support Strange messages at startup and shut down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As of a few weeks ago I am getting new popup messages every time I start and stop Win10. I have tried start/restart in Safe Mode and with the internet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 6185JGL, Feb 4, 2017.

1. 6185JGL Win User

Strange messages at startup and shut down

As of a few weeks ago I am getting new popup messages every time I start and stop Win10. I have tried start/restart in Safe Mode and with the internet disconnected. They go by very fast and I am unable to read some. I recorded the procedures with a camera and sent it to a friend with video editing software so he could view all in slo-mo and read the messages. Here is what he saw:

Summation of Screen messages... as they roll by, albeit very quickly. What a mess!
    1.) Saw some numbers on left, roll from top to bottom very quickly. Odd. Saw number 2 with a latter to left sort of off screen. Letter y? Very odd and very fast before log on. ...Y2 ???
    2.) Log on... Please wait... Preparing Windows... [As if Updates were installed?]
    3.) Restarting...
    4.) Please wait for the User Profile Service...
    5.) Shutting down service: Group Policy Client.
    6.) Restarting - [fast]
    7.) Shutting down service: Windows Modules Installer
    8.) Shutting down service: Connected User Experiences and Telemetry
    9.) Shutting down service: Tile Data model server.
    10.) Stopping services
    11.) Restarting

What is this and how to I stop it?
    John

:)

6185JGL, Feb 4, 2017
  2. JGLTX Win User

Strange message at log-in and shut down

OS boot information was NOT checked.

Messages still there. Most go by so fast they are unreadable.

JGLTX, Feb 4, 2017
  3. Strange message at log-in and shut down

I have a thought, but can't quite think it's right. If it is, then why
    would it take a camera & a friend to see the messages? Anyway, I guess...

(1) "R-Clk START, Run, type 'MSConfig', click OK",

or ask Cortana for "Config".

(2) At the Boot tab, uncheck "OS boot information"...

Strange messages at startup and shut down [​IMG]

(3) Reboot - did the messages go away?

PCR Just PCR, Feb 4, 2017
  4. Strange messages at startup and shut down

Sounds like you can get into Windows. I would head to Windows Update and check history. Are any updates failing? If so....

Type troubleshooting in the Cortana search bar, troubleshooting appears at top. Click it, window opens, lower right side "Fix problems with Windows Update", click. Window opens, click on “advance”, click on Run as administrator, click “Next”. Should run clean. If not run again.

I would also try a complete shutdown of Windows. Hold shift key down and click on shutdown.

These may not fix but two quick things to check.

Caledon Ken, Feb 4, 2017
  5. 6185JGL Win User
    Ken,
    I did both with no improvement. These are the last 4 updates, all installed successfully.
    Is any of these a known troublemaker?

Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3211320) 1/26/17

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3213986) 1/10/17

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition - January 2017 (KB890830) 1/10/17

Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 (for x64-based Systems) (KB321462) 1/10/17

6185JGL, Feb 4, 2017
  6. Mystere Win User
    Those are normal messages you would see in the server version of Windows, but they are usually hidden in the client version. You may have somehow got the secure login client enabled (the one that requires ctrl-alt-del to get to the login)

Mystere, Feb 4, 2017
  7. 6185JGL Win User
    Mystere, How do I turn these off?

6185JGL, Feb 4, 2017
  8. Strange messages at startup and shut down

Caledon Ken, Feb 5, 2017
  9. 6185JGL Win User
    Ken,

Option 1 Secure Sign-in was not checked.
    Option 3 did not make the messages go away. I restarted the PC after I did #3

6185JGL, Feb 5, 2017
  10. Well then I think it is something else. Hopefully someone has good idea of what.

Caledon Ken, Feb 6, 2017
  11. dencal Win User
    Worth a try
    Open Settings and type Power in box at top, click on Power Options, then Choose what the power button does.....change all to shut down....save......check to verify, if not reset as before.
    This problem could be linked to sleep.......Hope this helps.

dencal, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Strange messages at startup and shut down

1. Strange messages at startup and shut down - Similar Threads - Strange messages startup

2. Strange message on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange message on startup: Hello, I have my Windows 11 updated, but for a few days when I start the system, the popup appears to select a program to open a file, without me doing anything; When I select Notepad to see what it is, the following appears, which seems to me to be a Log file, how can I...
  3. Strange message on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange message on startup: Hello, I have my Windows 11 updated, but for a few days when I start the system, the popup appears to select a program to open a file, without me doing anything; When I select Notepad to see what it is, the following appears, which seems to me to be a Log file, how can I...
  4. Shut down and startup Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut down and startup Problem: Cant able to shutdown and startup properly.Solution!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shut-down-and-startup-problem/f856f8a7-7332-4f4c-9243-654791cd7086
  5. Shut down and startup Problem

Shut down and startup Problem: Cant able to shutdown and startup properly.Solution!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shut-down-and-startup-problem/f856f8a7-7332-4f4c-9243-654791cd7086
  6. Strange Shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange Shutting down: I have a strange problem, with a PC in Windows 10 Enterprise connected to a domain.- If I boot PC and after few minutes shutdown, it full shutdown fine.- If I boot PC and after many minutes shutdown, it hang to "Shutting down".- If I boot PC and after many minutes logoff user...
  7. Strange Shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange Shutting down: I have a strange problem, with a PC in Windows 10 Enterprise connected to a domain.- If I boot PC and after few minutes shutdown, it full shutdown fine.- If I boot PC and after many minutes shutdown, it hang to "Shutting down".- If I boot PC and after many minutes logoff user...
  8. Strange Shutting down

9. Windows shuts down on startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows shuts down on startup: Hi guys, I really need some help about this: I was using my laptop this afternoon and it suddenly shuts down without a warning. Then I tried to start it again and it just shuts down while entering the login password. This happened like 3 or 4 times in a row. After this I...
  10. Network shutting down on startup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network shutting down on startup: Hi I have weird problem if there's topic already created sorry in advance. So i put my computer to sleep and let's say i wake it up 5 mins later, what happens? My internet icon goes to red then a minute later it goes to yellow, then again red and again yellow, in 3rd...