Windows 10: Strange MIDI-port problem (10-port-limitation-related)

Discus and support Strange MIDI-port problem (10-port-limitation-related) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a VOX AMP that has a USB connection uses a KORG USB midi driver. The connection has to be made within the old 10-MIDI-port-limitation,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AdrianVogler, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Strange MIDI-port problem (10-port-limitation-related)

I have a VOX AMP that has a USB connection uses a KORG USB midi driver.

The connection has to be made within the old 10-MIDI-port-limitation, otherwise the AMP is not seen by the KORG Tone Room software.

Now strange things (?) happen on my Windows 10 system.

The driver always gets installed to the 11th port (mid10 or higher), though the ports mid1-mid9 are still available and not taken by any other device.

How can that happen?

How can I handle the situation, f.e. manually switch the AMP to use mid1-mid9 for the connection?

Thx in advance for every hint.

Best, Adrian

:)

AdrianVogler, Apr 2, 2019
  2. fireberd Win User

Does Win 10 Have the 10 MIDI Port limitation?

In older OS' there was a limitation of 10 MIDI ports. Does Win 10 have the same limitation?

I have a utility to list the ports but it does not work in Win 10. It only shows the Device Manager.

The utility is only a two line batch file.

set devmgr\_show\_nonpresent\_devices=1
    start Devmgmt.msc

fireberd, Apr 2, 2019
  3. Does Win 10 Have the 10 MIDI Port limitation?

I did a little code diving, and it appears that a MIDI program natively coded for Windows 10, using the new application interface, has at least 64 MIDI ports available to it, using 64 bit Windows.

I could be wrong on this, but it looks like the MIDI interface in WIN 10 will enumerate these ports. However, the code must use the new libraries. Older DAWs and software that hasn't been coded to use the new APIs won't access (probably) more than 10 ports, though Vista had a theoretical limit of 32, and I assume 7 did as well.

I looked at both the driver code, and the API for the MIDI interface, and it appears to have unlimited ports, though this is not possible realistically. Hence my limit of 64, which is my best educated guess, based on Microsoft's documentation of the driver and API.

If anyone has more information on this, please post and correct me if I'm wrong.

Gurn Blanston, Apr 2, 2019
  4. FriFlo Win User

Strange MIDI-port problem (10-port-limitation-related)

RTP midi and virtual midi ports in windows 10

Hi there!

I just watched Pete Brown discuss Windows 10 in audio over at Sonic State. Pete, you said Bluetooth midi is the next priority to be implemented in Windows 10, although you kind of acknowledged that it is more of a gadget for the masses, not a reliable low
    latency way for professionals. I would urge you guys to consider RTP midi the highest priority, instead. What I always missed, when switching over from Apple OS, was the ability to create virtual midi ports (without restrictions of the number of ports) from
    within the OS, that show up as midi ports in all kinds of audio programs. If those could be made low latency network ports to other Windows 10 PCs, remembering connections once setup at every start, MS could really gain the trust of so many composers and musicians
    working with midi. It is a basic functionality for any DAW OS, IMHO. Please consider that! It shouldn't be to hard, as it already works decently with third party hardware. But having it as part of the OS is desirable.

Now, if you could even extend that to virtual audio ports, Windows 10 would have overtaken Mac OS X on those basic needs of DAW users.

I do realize, the tablet and smart phone crowd is the bigger one and cannot be ignored! But the professional crowd should be also taken seriously, if Windows 10 should become THE OS for audio, as you want it to.

FriFlo, Apr 2, 2019
Thema:

Strange MIDI-port problem (10-port-limitation-related)

1. Strange MIDI-port problem (10-port-limitation-related) - Similar Threads - Strange MIDI port

2. Strange ports are found and TPM is not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange ports are found and TPM is not found: Hello FriendsWell i have Windows 11 installed on Asus ROG ,So Here is the thing i have formated my laptop because seems malware bytes found legalhakcer.com suspicious linked to my edge...But some how i see two ports open in my laptop port 1042,1043 afrog so i googled seems...
  3. Strange ports are found and TPM is not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange ports are found and TPM is not found: Hello FriendsWell i have Windows 11 installed on Asus ROG ,So Here is the thing i have formated my laptop because seems malware bytes found legalhakcer.com suspicious linked to my edge...But some how i see two ports open in my laptop port 1042,1043 afrog so i googled seems...
  4. USB port problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB port problem: last week i did a "soft" restore on my Lenovo ideacentre b520 and since then have had a lot of problems with the system. The most annoying one now is that only 1 of the 4 USB ports is working and its on the back. One more on the back and the two side ones are not working. Any...
  5. USB Port problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Port problem: how do i get my external drive usb port showing on my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-port-problem/7b59e657-c9d2-4029-95ca-2748b795cbf9
  6. USB Port problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Port problem: how do i get my external drive usb port showing on my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-port-problem/7b59e657-c9d2-4029-95ca-2748b795cbf9
  7. USB port strange behavior

USB port strange behavior: I have an old first Gen i7 machine. It was running fine for years. Sometimes ago, it starts to hang on restart. Usually powering it off and restart a few times, it will boot fine. Tried many suggestions from the Net. Did not really resolve the problem It sometime reboot fine...
  8. Problem with USB ports.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with USB ports.: So today i try to overclock my mouse but it didn't go well & decided to delete the program & not keep messing with it but now everytime i connect a device window doesn't recognize it. The ports seems to work bc it can charge my phone.. but I won't detect anything only 1 port...
  9. Midi port may be used by another application

Midi port may be used by another application: I am using Propellerheads Reason 10.4 DAW. I would like to connect Behringer BCF 2000 midi controller. In DAW settings I cant choose BCF 2000 midi ports. All the time igot message about ports. The might be used by another app. What I already tryed. Regystry check. There...
  10. Does Win 10 Have the 10 MIDI Port limitation?

Does Win 10 Have the 10 MIDI Port limitation?: In older OS' there was a limitation of 10 MIDI ports. Does Win 10 have the same limitation? I have a utility to list the ports but it does not work in Win 10. It only shows the Device Manager. The utility is only a two line batch file. set...