Windows 10: Strange monitor behavior when starting Windows after soft shutdown

Discus and support Strange monitor behavior when starting Windows after soft shutdown in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have been having a very strange issue the last few days with Windows on my gaming rig. After I shut down Windows using the start menu usually after a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Auriga Nexus, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Strange monitor behavior when starting Windows after soft shutdown

I have been having a very strange issue the last few days with Windows on my gaming rig. After I shut down Windows using the start menu usually after a VR gaming session, the next time I start up Windows will appear to fail to load. Now I say "appear" because the screen goes black, but there's no BSOD or error message - I boot the system up, it POST's and flashes the motherboard startup screen, then very briefly shows the Windows startup logo... then suddenly, nothing. The system is still on, hardware fans are running, my gaming keyboard and mouse are still lit up as are my HOTAS controllers... but the monitor goes into standby/power saving mode and nothing I do wakes it up. So for all I know Windows is still running but nothing's showing onscreen.

So far the only solution has been to hard reset using my rig's power button - hilariously enough, after a hard reset it will boot up and start Windows normally, 100% of the time. The problem only appears the next time I do a soft shutdown, which creates a cycle of soft shutdown -> black screen when starting Windows -> hard reset -> starts up normally -> black screen again after soft shutdown, and so on. Naturally, I am trying to find the cause of the issue - extra time booting up my system aside, I am concerned about subjecting my hardware and OS to a hard reset every time I try to start the OS.

My only lead is that the issue began happening after installing a new driver for my GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card, which I had to update in order to play Star Wars: Squadrons this weekend. However, I am unwilling to roll the driver back as I need it to play. Other than my monitor, the only other device that uses a port on the Graphics card is my VR headset, a Rift CV1 model. I will try starting the system from cold with the headset unplugged to see if it affects the issue at all.

:)

Auriga Nexus, Oct 5, 2020
  2. wasAguru Win User

Strange Behavior of Shutdown

Just recently I've been experiencing strange behavior whenever I shutdown. These events happen seemingly randomly:
    1. It says Shutting Down, the progress circle is moving, but it never shuts down and the Shutting Down screen
    stays that way for hours. I have to hold the power button down to shut down.
    OR SOMETIMES
    2. It displays the Shutting Down screen for a short time, the screen goes blank, the fan stops, but the power light
    stays on for hours. I have to hold the power button down to shut down.
    OR SOMETIMES
    3. It does fully shut down, but then a few minutes later it powers up and the login screen is displayed. If I then
    login and click on shutdown it does actually shut down.
    AND OCASSIONLLY
    4. It works correctly the 1st time!

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

I'm running Win 10 Home. v1703 Build:15063.332 on an HP Envy Lap Top.

wasAguru, Oct 5, 2020
  3. Strange behavior of the Start menu

You can add shortcuts in the start menu, alphabetical list, by adding them in the old start menu location. What is strange is that if you add several shortcuts to the same program with different parameters, only one appears on the list, why ? No idea. Anyway
    it appears with the right icon, the one defined by the shortcut. If this entry list is pinned to the start screen, it appears with the icon of the exe file, not the one of the shortcut. Second strange behavior. I regret all this. The start menu of W10 lost
    something very important in the W7 and previous versions. The ability to create a hierarchical menu : one for internet, one for multimedia, one for office programs etc… The actual start menu is a real mess compared to what could be done in W7. This can be
    partly solved by the start screen : it’s possible to create folders, one for internet, one for multimedia ad so on, and the folders can contain pinned tiles to the right programs. Anyway, its’ completely impossible to create several shortcuts to the same program.
    For example one for starting the browser to one a website, one for starting it to another website and so on. Personally, I solve this by using an alternate shell able to manage several shortcuts to the same program… and to choose the icon. Anyway, this behavior
    of the start menu remains very strange, and makes the start menu of W10 less usable than the ones of the previous versions of windows (not W8 of course which was a complete failure).

mgrmgrmgrmgr, Oct 5, 2020
  4. m hanif Win User

Strange monitor behavior when starting Windows after soft shutdown

Shutdown command prompt strange behavior

Recently I've found something strange behavior of shutdown command prompt. When I type shutdown -h, it'll shutdown not hibernate. When I type only shutdown, it'll shutdown not a list of options of shutdown command. When I type shutdown asdasd, it'll return shutdown: bad date conversion: asdasd When I type shutdown -asdasd, it'll return shutdown: unknown option -a; Usage: shutdown [-S server] [-q] [-r|-h] [time[message]] shutdown -c [-S server]

What happen to my computer?

Recently I've install IS_V11.7_WINDOWS_CLIENT_MULTILI (IBM Datastage) and because of a requirement installation, I've change this registry NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation (default value : 2) become 0

How I can solve this problem?

Shutdown cmd that I hope appear

m hanif, Oct 5, 2020
Thema:

Strange monitor behavior when starting Windows after soft shutdown

1. Strange monitor behavior when starting Windows after soft shutdown - Similar Threads - Strange monitor behavior

2. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  3. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  4. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Behavior: [ATTACH] Windows Taskbar My Windows freezes and then my taskbar is replaced by the one above. This replacement "taskbar" is not accessible, and non of the task bar fixes I have tried off the internet will restore it. Only a system reboot restores the "original"...
  6. Strange behavior of the Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange behavior of the Start menu: You can add shortcuts in the start menu, alphabetical list, by adding them in the old start menu location. What is strange is that if you add several shortcuts to the same program with different parameters, only one appears on the list, why ? No idea. Anyway it appears with...
  7. Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Behavior: Was browsing in Chrome, all of a sudden my scroll wheel on my mouse was disabled, and Windows was just making a clicking noise instead of scrolling the page. Closed everything, restarted, and got a weird blue screen asking if I wanted to Restore/Repair, etc. Restarted in...
  8. A strange behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A strange behavior: Warning: The text of this question is made with Google Translate. I own a relatively new computer with Windows 10 Pro and Windows Insider Program. From the very beginning, every time I turn it on and reach the Windows lock screen, it does not detect any network connection,...
  9. Strange Behavior of Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Behavior of Shutdown: Just recently I've been experiencing strange behavior whenever I shutdown. These events happen seemingly randomly: 1. It says Shutting Down, the progress circle is moving, but it never shuts down and the Shutting Down screen stays that way for hours. I have to hold the...
  10. strange behavior .....

in Windows 10 Support
    strange behavior .....: good morning I spent the weekend upgrading my PC's from win 7 to win 10. the 1st one had some issues after the upgrade, but most have been solved. 2 of the other 3 went fine and all seem to be working as expected. the last one, and the most important one, has lots of...