Windows 10: Strange network connection problem

Discus and support Strange network connection problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In my workplace there are four computers, namely A, B, C and D. Computer A connects to B and C, but cannot connect to D. Computer B connects to C and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ariansman, May 2, 2016.

1. ariansman Win User

Strange network connection problem

In my workplace there are four computers, namely A, B, C and D.
    Computer A connects to B and C, but cannot connect to D.
    Computer B connects to C and D.
    Computer C connects to B and D.
    Computer D connects to C and B.
    Computer A runs windows 10, others run windows 7.
    All computers are finely connected to internet.
    Any idea how to get computer A connected to D?
    thank you

:)

ariansman, May 2, 2016
  2. Pandora42 Win User

Internet Connection Problems

Hello again,

Sorry for taking ages. My laptop does connect to other networks but strangely in the past few days it's had no trouble connecting to the internet. Sometimes it'll connect no problems then suddenly it'll stop connecting again.

Pandora42, May 2, 2016
  3. Network problem with N9

I'm having this strange problem with the network and i don't know whether it's a phone's problem or not. Sometimes the network stops working, even though the bars on the upper left of the screen show it's connected. It results in no access to the network,
    i can't receive, make calls or use the internet.

Does it sound to be more a problem of the phone or of the network's company?

gastromush, May 2, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello ariansman,

What version and OS Build of Windows 10 is Computer A running? Check by looking in Settings -> System -> About or by typing winver in the command prompt.

You should be on Ver 1511 and OS build 10586.218. Earlier versions have had problems detecting and connecting to networked computers.

philc43, May 2, 2016
  5. EdTittel Win User
    Dear Ariansman:
    Please forgive me for sharing something I just posted to another thread with you as well:
    Make sure the network is set to "private network" on all machines on your LAN. If any is public, all kinds of interesting things can happen. Here's how you can tell what's going on: open the network and sharing center on each PC and see what's showing there:

Strange network connection problem [​IMG]

If all are set to private, good! You might then think about setting up a homegroup and making sure all machines join in.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 2, 2016
  6. ariansman Win User
    Thank you,
    yes philc, my computer is on on Ver 1511 and OS build 10586.218. is it a problem?
    thank you Ed, computer A is set to private, but others are Homenetwork. will this be the problem? I figured that the connection of computer A to others changes time by time. it can now discover a shared folder on computer B, but another time it cant get access.
    thank you very much

ariansman, May 3, 2016
  7. philc43 Win User
    Hello ariansman, you have the latest windows 10 version which is working well for networked devices.

When your network contains computers running different versions of Windows, it is important to put all computers in the same workgroup

To change the workgroup name on a computer running Windows 7

1. Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.
    2. Under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, click Change settings.
    3. In System Properties, on the Computer Name tab, click Change.
    4. In Computer Name/Domain Changes, in Workgroup, type the name of the workgroup you want to use, and then click OK. You will be prompted to restart your computer.

philc43, May 3, 2016
  8. ariansman Win User

Thank you,
    The workgroup name for all computers are set to the default name as “workgroup”. You believe I should change this?
    Do you think there might be something in computer A, that it sometimes reaches others and sometimes doesn’t? or maybe a firewall in computer B which sometimes blocks the access?
    The way I reach a shared folder on a computer is through the ip address such as 192.168.1.12 . is this a normal and good way?
    Thank you

ariansman, May 3, 2016
  9. philc43 Win User
    It does not matter what the name is so if all yours are set to Workgroup that is fine. Do you turn the computers on in any particular order? Usually the first to be switched on becomes the master browser and controls the network addressing, try switching A on first and see if this makes any difference.

Using IP addresses is also a good method especially if you know the IP addresses are always the same and so they need to be "static" for this to happen. However, most networks assign dynamic IP addresses so the IP addressing does not always stay consistent.

philc43, May 3, 2016
  10. Barman58 Win User
    As you are using workgroups rather than a domain your systems actually connect by using shares and users rather than connecting directly via a machine account.

These technicalities mean that there are certain requirements for workgroup networking

• All systems must be on the same workgroup, changing from the default is not needed but can give slightly better security from the outside world
    • Identical user names on all systems to allow the shares to work simply (although not actually required this allows for simple and fast sharing).
    • Where passwords are used, use of the same password for each user on each system make sharing simpler.
    • All systems must have both sharing and network discovery enabled.
    • Suitably shared folders with suitable permissions are required on each system that needs to share data, are required

The share permissions allow access to the system in general, but the NTFS permissions control the folder and file access level

Names can be used to access the systems and their shares and does not require any adjustments to the router which I assume actually assigns the IP numbers

Barman58, May 3, 2016
  11. ariansman Win User
    thank you guys,
    it says; " one or more network protocols are missing on this computer". does this mean the computer A, which is my computer *Sad , has a problem needs to be fixed?
    what makes me confused is that computer A connects very well and fast to computer B in a time. i can use the printer connected to computer B very great. but in another time i am totally out.
    there is only one computer in the group, computer D, which i never get disconnected. i am thinking to compare some settings in computer D with computer B to see what's in computer B which disconnects me sometimes. but i dont know what should i look for and compare.

ariansman, May 3, 2016
  12. Barman58 Win User
    One "obvious" thing to check, is the system power settings, both the general which may have a power save setting relating to connections, (not likely here but possible that a drive needs to be running to "serve" the Share).

The one that often causes issues is the NIC properties ...

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections then properties then Configure check the power management that this is set to off or a long time to ensure that the NIC does not shut down if not used

Barman58, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Strange network connection problem - Similar Threads - Strange network connection

2. A strange connection problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A strange connection problem: Recently when I my pc connects to the house wi-fi the quality of the connection gets worse by a lot, when I try to do a speed test using only my phone the ping and the download speed remains normal, but everytime my pc connects to the wi fi the ping skyrockets and the...
  3. REALLY strange network problems.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    REALLY strange network problems.: I found out this Microsoft forums thing, and now I am asking like everything here. Another question of mine, except, this one isn't really stupid... Ok, now I know this question is asked a TON. So much. But for me it's different. I tried EVERYTHING, my computer is on...
  4. a strange network problem

a strange network problem: I ran into a problem last week with my network radio app. My network is sharing a remote router signal. I have a Ubiquiti PBE-M2 400 connecting wirelessly to the remote router. It is connected via ethernet to my wifi router. When I login to the PBE thru my router wifi with my...
  5. a strange network problem

in Windows 10 Support
    a strange network problem: I ran into a problem last week with my network radio app. My network is sharing a remote router signal. I have a Ubiquiti PBE-M2 400 connecting wirelessly to the remote router. It is connected via ethernet to my wifi router. When I login to the PBE thru my router wifi with my...
  6. Very strange Connection Problem

Very strange Connection Problem: Hi all, This is a wierd one so bear with me :] A couple of minutes after booting the pc websites will no longer load. Except for Google and Youtube - it will search but when I click on the links it won't work. I can ping all other websites just fine they just wont load in...
  7. Strange Windows 10 Networking Problem

Strange Windows 10 Networking Problem: I have 2 Windows 10 Pro v. 1909 PC's and a NAS drive on my network. I have each computers' My Documents folders relocated to the NAS drive. When I open, modify and save a Word file from Computer A to My Documents on the NAS drive, when Computer B tries to read it from the NAS...
  8. Strange Network Connection issue

Strange Network Connection issue: Hi, I am running Windows 10 home edition for X64 based systems version 10.0.17134 on an Acer Switch Alpha 12 tablet. In the evening, I always shut down the wifi and I close the lid on the tablet which seems to put the device into hibernation mode. In the morning, I power on...
  9. strange network problem

strange network problem: having changed location to a small office after having a talktalk connection which worked OK. I am now connected 4 PCs through a Switch and shared a printer without any problems as the Internet was from a Public connection in the same building each machine having its own wifi...
  10. Strange IPv4 subnet mask for network connection

Strange IPv4 subnet mask for network connection: My default gateway is 192.168.1.1 (FIOS). I am running some Windows 2012R2 servers under Hyper-V. When I set up the servers, I *believe* the Hyper-V Manager also added a network configuration for the VMs. The VM IP addresses are 172.18.x.x and the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0....