Windows 10: Strange Partitions after W10 install on new build

Discus and support Strange Partitions after W10 install on new build in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've just built a new PC and installed W10 from a USB after using the W10 creation tool on my old build. Everything seemed to install fine but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nomadski, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Nomadski Win User

Strange Partitions after W10 install on new build

I've just built a new PC and installed W10 from a USB after using the W10 creation tool on my old build.

Everything seemed to install fine but I noticed some quirks (like start button and key not doing anything) so I decided to do a reset.

That completed but now I've noticed my NVME 1TB OS drive has it's System Reserved partition in my PC with a drive letter. When I go into Disk Management I notice the drive has a System Reserved partition with letter, the main partition with letter, a 100mb EFI system partition and a 513mb Recovery Partition.

I didn't notice W10 having so many partitions on my last build? And why did I get a System Partition Drive letter?

Strange Partitions after W10 install on new build [​IMG]

Strange Partitions after W10 install on new build [​IMG]

:)

Nomadski, Aug 2, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Aug 2, 2020
  3. rk3066 Win User
    Delete my W10 Partition

Ok i have W10 installed on the HDD but I made a partition of W7 (48GB worth) on it

rk3066, Aug 2, 2020
  4. Strange Partitions after W10 install on new build

Vista Beta 2 Installed

Well first I defragged the drive, then go into partition magic and select "create a new partition" and make sure it is "after c:"

Then click the rest of the way through the menus, and in the lower left there is a list of pending activites and click "apply" and you will have to restart and before windows boots partition magic does its thing.

wazzledoozle, Aug 2, 2020
Thema:

Strange Partitions after W10 install on new build

1. Strange Partitions after W10 install on new build - Similar Threads - Strange Partitions W10

2. install w10 in a hdd partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    install w10 in a hdd partition: how to install w10 in a hdd partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-w10-in-a-hdd-partition/d91c95f8-11c8-44b4-9bba-fb79ee563776
  3. Move W10 to new build.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Move W10 to new build.: I just completed my first pc build, thanks with the W10 transfer. I did Great! I want to build another for my wife. she has a laptop that originally was W8 which I free upgraded to 10. Can I install W10 on the new build and use her activation key to activate her Windows...
  4. Strange partitions after hardware repair

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange partitions after hardware repair: Hello everyone, I repaired my computer for damaged hardware, once I got it back my hard drive was partitioned strangely and I'm not sure how to fix it without paying for annoying hard drive management software. There are two instances of windows, they were copies of each...
  5. Trying to reactivate W10 on a new build.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Trying to reactivate W10 on a new build.: Okay, so a few weeks ago I used the help of this forum to find out my product type, I have a retail license which should have been digitally licenses to my account. After signing in, it's saying: Windows reported that no product key was found on your device. Error code:...
  6. New pc build w10 freezeing after booting up

in Windows 10 Support
    New pc build w10 freezeing after booting up: My new pc build , windows 10 home freezes after booting up, its giving 3 sec of freeze , and it unfreezes after 1 sec , and that happens over and over . And it happens pretty much 1 of 6 times of booting . Installed from usb. Using only ssd samsung evo 250 gb 114745
  7. W10 new build low resolution.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    W10 new build low resolution.: Got a new build PC with W10, screen resolution too low despite set to 1080p. My previous Windows 7 machine displays fine on same monitor. Tried all available settings options in W10 and Nvidia panel, also checked monitor display settings and another HDMI cable. Managed to get...
  8. Will W10 delete my partition drive after install?

Will W10 delete my partition drive after install?: Hi all, Stupid question probably, however I cannot find an answer online and I'm not the most tech savvy. I bought a HP laptop around Christmas last year. The laptop came with a recovery partition, which I still to date haven't got around to getting a 32gb drive to back...
  9. Installing W10 in a HD partition

Installing W10 in a HD partition: Hello, I have a Windows 8.1 system (64 bit) and I "qualified" for the Windows 10 free upgrade, which I could already do. [img] (My system is in French, sorry about that).) What I'd like to do is to have both systems in the same computer, I know how to shrink my HD in...
  10. New W10 installation

in Windows 10 Support
    New W10 installation: Installed a couple hours ago seems to work quite well, but how do I find my computer as in win 7 , my drives etc??? 13512