Windows 10: Strange PC behavior, cryptocurrency malware or bug?

Discus and support Strange PC behavior, cryptocurrency malware or bug? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, guys so I'm noticing lately that my laptop is acting really strange. Sometimes the fans will suddenly turn on when I'm not using it. I've always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kadendelrey, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Strange PC behavior, cryptocurrency malware or bug?

Hi, guys so I'm noticing lately that my laptop is acting really strange. Sometimes the fans will suddenly turn on when I'm not using it. I've always felt that there was some kind of malware. Now I do regular scans using Windows defender and MalwareBytes. They always come out as negative.

Moments ago I was on my phone and my laptop was on but idle. I only had google chrome tab open on reddit. My fans suddenly turned on to full power and I quickly went and checked the task manager. I saw a Process that was taking 100% of the CPU (I noticed it because it was RED) But I couldn't read it because it suddenly disappeared. I know that there was something there but after opening the task manager it instantly disappeared and the fans turned off.

This a big red flag for crypto mining malware. I really don't know what to do. I tried to check for processes history but I couldn't find anything. I'm not sure if it's even possible to see CPU usage history and what processes caused it.

Also sometimes my laptop would wake itself up from "sleep" for no reason. It's really creepy, especially because I do frequent scans all the time. It could be a really novel malware. I do download ton of crap from the internet but I always scan it and sometimes use /u/kadendelrey
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kadendelrey, Jul 24, 2020

2. Is ethminer (a cryptocurrency mining application), from NiceHash Miner 1.6.0.0, a malware?

Hi. Numerous sources (websites/categories of websites related to cryptocurrencies) state that ethminer, cgminer, sgminer or any other cryptocurrency mining application are the so called "false positives", as long as they were downloaded from a theoretically
    trustworthy source, as is NiceHash Miner, which comes with numerous cryptocurrency mining applications, being ethminer one of them.

According to Virus Total, an online service which uploads samples and verify in a database the most popular antivirus if they detect some malware, Kaspersky, a well established antivirus, won't detect it as malware, which makes me wonder if the aforementioned
    file (ethminer.exe) is indeed some malware at all. Thanks in advance!

Acácio_BR, Jul 26, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Cryptocurrency mining malware disables security to remain undetected

Read more: This cryptocurrency mining malware now disables security software to help remain undetected | ZDNet

Brink, Jul 26, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Strange PC behavior, cryptocurrency malware or bug?

Cryptocurrency mining malware disables security to remain undetected

Read more: This cryptocurrency mining malware now disables security software to help remain undetected | ZDNet

Brink, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

Strange PC behavior, cryptocurrency malware or bug?

1. Strange PC behavior, cryptocurrency malware or bug? - Similar Threads - Strange behavior cryptocurrency

2. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  3. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  4. Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Behavior: [ATTACH] Windows Taskbar My Windows freezes and then my taskbar is replaced by the one above. This replacement "taskbar" is not accessible, and non of the task bar fixes I have tried off the internet will restore it. Only a system reboot restores the "original"...
  5. Scanning for cryptocurrency mining malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Scanning for cryptocurrency mining malware: My windows 10 version is Home, 20H2, 64 bit. Build 19042.685 Many times, while having my laptop sit idle for few minutes, it heats up and fan speed go high. This happens mostly when during noon time when I often have to get off the laptop to answer the doorbell. No heavy...
  6. Scanning for cryptocurrency mining malware

in Windows 10 Support
    Scanning for cryptocurrency mining malware: My windows 10 version is Home, 20H2, 64 bit. Build 19042.685 Many times, while having my laptop sit idle for few minutes, it heats up and fan speed go high. This happens mostly when during noon time when I often have to get off the laptop to answer the doorbell. No heavy...
  7. strange pc behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    strange pc behavior: After opening a browser or pc folder etc, my pc brings up a popup of all the open stuff in a smaller window. In the attached attached image: I have opened a chrome window and a settings window. ( shown in the background) ; In the front with a black border you can see the same...
  8. Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Behavior: Was browsing in Chrome, all of a sudden my scroll wheel on my mouse was disabled, and Windows was just making a clicking noise instead of scrolling the page. Closed everything, restarted, and got a weird blue screen asking if I wanted to Restore/Repair, etc. Restarted in...
  9. A strange behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A strange behavior: Warning: The text of this question is made with Google Translate. I own a relatively new computer with Windows 10 Pro and Windows Insider Program. From the very beginning, every time I turn it on and reach the Windows lock screen, it does not detect any network connection,...
  10. strange behavior .....

in Windows 10 Support
    strange behavior .....: good morning I spent the weekend upgrading my PC's from win 7 to win 10. the 1st one had some issues after the upgrade, but most have been solved. 2 of the other 3 went fine and all seem to be working as expected. the last one, and the most important one, has lots of...